First Ride of 2018

Crane Fly

IMG_18041103.jpg
Finally the roads have cleared enough in north west Montana to get my spring bike out on the road. Did a 20 mile ride along the the Going to the Sun Road in Glacier National Park from Apgar Village to Lake McDonald Lodge and back. As usual, my Sofrider handled everything the road threw at it. Planning on getting the S40 out next week.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
The ride across the Rising Sun Pass was the best day ride in 3,500 km of cycling tours in 2013, and especially the descent where you needed to stop regularly and look back up to the pass!!!

Crane Fly

What tires are you running in snow land?
Paco 1961,

The tires are not particularly suitable for snow or ice. They are Michelin Wild Run'r 26" x 1.40. They don't have any tread but are reasonably fast on pavement. The roads now are wet but mostly clear of ice. The picture was taken at the edge of the road where there is still two feet of snow on the shoulder.

Crane Fly

Crane Fly

Ak-Tux,

The handlebars are Velo Orange Montmartre bars turned straight down. Brake levers are Velo Orange Grand Cru and shifters are Microshift 9 speed. I've been using this handlebar for 5 years and it is the most comfortable setup of any of my bikes. For me, the vertical grips are perfect and the handlbars are just wide enough to fit.

Crane Fly

Nice picture! Which model/make of handlebars are those?

CuHead

A little snow on the ground, but it's a dry cold! Out and back... is the out a bit slower than the back because of elevation gain? Any pedaling at all on the way back? I used to ride on the Blue Ridge Parkway in George Washington National Forest in VA; I think the longest downhill was at the northern entrance, 6-7 miles non-stop if my memory is correct. That is a long coast.

Crane Fly

A little snow on the ground, but it's a dry cold! Out and back... is the out a bit slower than the back because of elevation gain? Any pedaling at all on the way back? I used to ride on the Blue Ridge Parkway in George Washington National Forest in VA; I think the longest downhill was at the northern entrance, 6-7 miles non-stop if my memory is correct. That is a long coast.
Cuhead,

Uphill is about 4 mph for me. Down hill is about 25 mph braking pretty hard.

Crane Fly

bear

Crane Fly Yes I did. About a month ago. I have ridden it about 650 miles so far including the 100 mile STOKR ride at Libby 2 week ago. The S40 is a great bike. You should come up to the Yaak for a ride sometime. No better riding anywhere in the country.

Crane Fly

Crane Fly Yes I did. About a month ago. I have ridden it about 650 miles so far including the 100 mile STOKR ride at Libby 2 week ago. The S40 is a great bike. You should come up to the Yaak for a ride sometime. No better riding anywhere in the country.
Bear,

Wish I could have done the STOKR ride! I’m currently dividing my time between our kids in North Carolina and Arizona and probably won’t be back in Montana until July. Would enjoy getting together at some point to explore the Yaak.

Crane Fly