First ride on first conversion

Bryanmcn

So I finished the conversion using old bike parts and frames I had kicking around and road around for a few minutes. MAN! That is one messed up way to ride a bent!
I have a Baron and a VRex and I couldn't beleive the difference. I feel like I'm on a unicycle!
I'm determined to ride this thing so I'm sure I'll get used to it but ... how long will that take?

A few questions;
- How does the "safety bolt" work? It doesn't seem to screw out far enough to do anything.
- What bottom bracket / triple ring / rear deraileur combination would work best with a 6 speed cassette?
- How do you guys keep the bike from falling over?! Its so front heavy the kick stand doesn't hold it. Whats the secret?

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
Hi Bryanmcn,
For the last

Hi Bryanmcn,

For the last question, there's a big difference (at least on my Sofrider) of turning the handlebars to the right (which is more stable) than to the left.

As far as BB/triple ring with 6 speed cassette, I believe that the 6 speed cassette uses the same spacing and therefore chain as up to 9 speed (but that might not be right). If it is, then basically whatever you want should work. I've got details about what I used on my Sofrider here.

For your first question, I got nothin'.

Cheers,
Charles

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
I find this helps a lot when

I find this helps a lot when parking the bike

http://cruzbike.com/parking-brake-0

+1. I have a Bike Brake on my Sofrider. I don't use it all of the time, but it's very convenient when I'm not on level ground, pulling a trailer, or doing something else wacky.

Tarmac Terrorist

What stands are you using?

I was not even going to attemp and put a stand on my conversion I thought it would just be a waste of time. Does anyone use a back wheel type stand on their conversion? Does it work?

Tarmac Terrorist

Bryan,
This is what I use for

Bryan,

This is what I use for parking the bike and working on it, not much good when you stop for a coffee through.

http://www.velogear.com.au/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/283x209/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/w/s/ws_20415_20_20_20p.jpg

About $16 each and you really only need one and use it for the front.

Stands.jpg

Bryanmcn

Stand

Thanks! I turned the wheel to the right as Charles suggested and ... yes ... a regular kick stand works. Hm!