Fit a Silvio into a Plane bike box 1.44m*0.81m*0.29m

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Has anyone transported a Silvio in a plane using a standard cardboard bike box 1.44m*0.81m*0.29m inside dimensions?
I assume the wheels come off, the handle turned 90 degrees, and hopefully the front boom only needs to be fully shortened.

Regards

Super Slim

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
I haven't done it, but I think you would only have to remove the rear wheel, just like you would remove the front wheel on a DF bike. I measure the widest point, the seat, at about 11.25 inches, which will barely fit the width... Really tight. I suspect that collapsing the TFT as much as possible, rotating the handlebar and sitting it down in the box with the back wheel off, it will barely fit. Of course, it goes without saying the pedals have to come off. Even if you have to remove the handlebar, it's doable without much bother. I think it will fit, but not sure if there wil be room to get the back wheel in the box. I can't picture how that would fit.

Mark

JonB

Zen MBB Master
that box size sounds like the box my freerider came in. I think it it doable. If you remove both wheels, then the wide base of the seat is in the bottom, and this leaves room for the wheels ontop infront of the backrest.

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
JonB wrote: that box size sounds like the box my freerider came in. I think it it doable. If you remove both wheels, then the wide base of the seat is in the bottom, and this leaves room for the wheels ontop infront of the backrest.

Yes, you could remove both wheels. Because the derailleur can be taken out of the front triangle without affecting your shifting adjustment, it's doable. I'm just not sure you would need to.

Mark

teacherbill

Mark B wrote:
JonB wrote: that box size sounds like the box my freerider came in. I think it it doable. If you remove both wheels, then the wide base of the seat is in the bottom, and this leaves room for the wheels ontop infront of the backrest.

Yes, you could remove both wheels. Because the derailleur can be taken out of the front triangle without affecting your shifting adjustment, it's doable. I'm just not sure you would need to.

Mark

Because I do not travel too much and am very ignorant about pricing etc., what would the cost be for a second box?

JonB

Zen MBB Master
teacherbill wrote: Because I do not travel too much and am very ignorant about pricing etc., what would the cost be for a second box?
probably twice as much

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
teacherbill wrote:
Mark B wrote:

Mark

Because I do not travel too much and am very ignorant about pricing etc., what would the cost be for a second box?

One wheel, if you had to, could be packed in a standard suitcase with your other cycling stuff.

Mark

teacherbill

Mark B wrote:
teacherbill wrote:

One wheel, if you had to, could be packed in a standard suitcase with your other cycling stuff.

Mark
I knew that this genius-ness would carry over across the various boards.

cruz05bike

My Silvio is still in the box from a trip to Germany last month. Remove the wheels, pedals, handlebar and boom. Fold the
1015_4f080c91cc29e1e4ac0cefde0d3a4f6f
stay back against the boom and place the dropout and chain in a bag around the chainwheel and zip it against the frame under the seat. Drop it in the box and zip the wheels against the frame so the lot can't move around in the box. No adjustment needed and only one bolt to remove and screws to loosen. the handlebar goes on the seat. It takes about 1/2 hr the second time in the terminal.
1015_77bd2db46a3e637a163a67ca3d64212b
1015_4f080c91cc29e1e4ac0cefde0d3a4f6f
1015_cc6cf8aef2089caf424b1e9a1e928533
1015_13730ed3e6ef9bd847c35d7fd8ecf2c4
1015_ea9ea9f7034f7e9af53ca38db3c6f5a8
1015_3947eb62820e97132d2e887fe164eebd