Food & Drink on Long Rides

thebean

I go out regulary for 40 plus mile rides, and learned when I did a Century ride a couple of years ago, that nutrition on the bike is very important. It's trial and error. I have a lot of food allergies, so am limited to my choices.

That being said, everyone will enjoy Bonk Breaker protein bars. They have a lot of flavors, and I am able to eat the blueberry one which is also nut free. All of their bars are gluten and dairy free. And they taste great!

For electorlytes, I use Ultima Replenisher. It's a powder that comes in a lot of flavors. I used it when I hiked across the Grand Canyon in one day (24 miles), and experienced no cramping. I also find it causes no stomach discomfort like Gatorade.

If you stomach gets testy on the bike for really long rides, pick up some Aloe Vera juice. It's an awesome all natural for stomach aches and digestive issues. It has other benefits as well.

What's your favorite food on long rides?

Rod

Hi Lisa,
Thanks for sharing

Hi Lisa,
Thanks for sharing your experience. I will be attempting my first century this year and was wondering about what to take to eat on the trip. I haven't posted much but have read most all the posts for the last nine months. Your experiences have been enjoyable to read.
Thanks again

psychling

Expensive urine

Many years ago I asked a friend who is a medical researcher at Harvard to help me determine what is `special' about a particular sports drink: Accelerade. He responded: "Expensive urine."

With few exceptions (Generation UCAN, for one) sports nutrition powders contain 98%+ maltodextrin. I was recently `given' a 2.3 lb canister of Hammer Sustain. Retail price was $40. Drilling down past the mumbo jumbo of what is in it ... it's 98% maltodextrin. The rest of the magical contents amount to powdered protein and a few minerals.

I purchase, now, a 50 lb bag of powdered maltodextrin from a feed and grain supply store for ... $60 tax and shipping. I'll pop a scoopful (too much) of protein powder in a 24 oz bottle and be off. A 50 lb bag of maltodextrin lasts me about 2 years.

For chewable stuff I bring peanut butter sandwiches, maybe a few boiled potatoes. When I get hungry on long training sessions I simply increase the quantity of what I eat. And hydration with pure water is absolutely essential.

Here is a tongue-in-cheek blog entry I made regarding commercial sports nutrition products:

http://psychling1.blogspot.com/2013/01/great-leader-sports-nutrition-products.html

- Dan