From exercise bike to Cruzbike!

Angela UK

If you're interested in owning a Cruzbike but not able to "try before you buy", perhaps you could consider trying out a recumbent at your local gym. It will at least give you some experience of the riding position.

I found out about Cruzbikes by surfing the net after using recumbent exercise bikes at my local leisure club.

I used to cycle a fair bit when I was younger, but a horse riding accident made this an uncomfortable past-time, often leaving me with considerable neck pain and headaches for days or even weeks. Although modifications to the handlebars and their position helped a bit, I decided the price was too high a price to pay and eventually restricted myself to walking the dog and hiking.

As my dog is now quite elderly and slow, I am not (!), and I decided I needed more exercise to improve my cardio-vascular fitness in readiness for a walking holiday. Hence, I joined the local leisure club. I am only able to use some of the equipment there, but among the machines is a recumbent bicycle, which, to my delight, I discovered I could peddle pain free. Then dawned the realisation that perhaps I could cycle again after all!

I committed myself to a Cruzbike on the basis that if others can do it, then so can I! Even before I took delivery, I set myself the challenge of riding the length of the Great Britain (approx. 1000 miles) and telling everyone that I was going to do it! No-one is convinced, but that gives me even greater motivation to continue with my exercise regime and determination to learn to ride my new Cruzbike!

There were shrieks of laughter down my road on Sunday afternoon as my husband became human stabilisers and I tried to peddle and steer my new Sofrider. It was like being a five- year-old again, learning to ride for the very first time. The gears kept changing and I kept wobbling and braking until eventually, I managed to start the bike independently, though rather precariously.

Monday evening I spent about 45 minutes pratising grimly until I was able to ride the length of our quiet road a couple of times.

Tuesday morning, I rode down some side roads to the local large park, managing to turn a few corners, change gears and gradually release my grip on the wavering hadlebars as I started to get used to steering more with my legs. I even overtook some other cyclists in the park and managed to slow down and "tuck in" for a passing motorist!

Naturally, most people do a double take, and seem quite amused - partly because I have fixed L plates to the front and rear of the bike in an effort to warn unsuspecting passers-by! My shoulders ached a bit when I got back home, but I am sure that will ease as I learn to relax more. My expedition seems a little closer now but I guess there's quite a bit of Cruzing practice to do beforehand!

Here's to future fun and freedom!