FSA Patterson-Metropolis plus Sturmey Archer X-RF8

chrisblessing

Greetings,

I'm more than pleased with my conversion, but am interested in enhancing the drive train. I currently run 18 speeds with an SRAM 11-28T and a compact double with 53-39 (gear inches 31-96). I obviously face issues with steep climbs, which are in abundance here in Kuala Lumpur.

I have given thought to changing to a triple chain-wheel, and that clearly is the cheapest and lightest option, but I'm also intrigued by the notion of the Patterson-Metropolis CVT and an IGH. The clean chain line and lack of derailleurs is not so important most of the time, but one thing that annoys me is the constant shifting, especially as I approach intersections and inclines, just to insure that I can start up again, or just keep moving.

It further occurs to me that the Patterson-Metropolis would be helpful in making the folded bike a bit more compact.

Without regard to the folding issue, I wonder if I might get some input on the combination I'm suggesting, or some variation of it. I'm not a gear head but I'm willing to learn the math if need be.

Many thanks to all who can contribute.

Chris

chrisblessing

by the way...

...here's an interesting offer from Utah Trike:

http://www.utahtrikes.com/PRODINFO-Sturmey_Archer_8_Speed_Wheel_Kit.html

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
Hi Chris,
I don't know much

Hi Chris,

I don't know much about IGHs except that a lot of people who have them really like them.

I've got a 50/39/24 triple and 9-26T cassette, so my bike is geared between 16" and 106" (that gear calculator is very nice) so you can clearly get much lower with a triple.

I don't think an IGH is crazy idea at all and I've got a long cage rear derailleur on my bike that is a little to close to the ground to be comfortable.

chrisblessing

IGH

Hi Charles. You point out an early issue I had with my conversion. Given the 20" wheels, it turned out that I had to swap out my long-cage derailleur because I couldn't get it close enough to the gears because the angle between the chainstay and top tube was too small. I managed to get a small-cage to work. I don't that it would work with a triple as I'm not sure I'd have enough lift for all 3.

Paired with a 19t cog on a Nexus 8, the effective gear inch with the Patterson-Metropolis would be 18-119, which is far better than my current 31-98.

My thinking right now is that, given that I live in a hilly, urban environment, I need climbing more than speed, so I'm inclined to look at the Patterson-Metropolis for the time being and see how it works out.

Thanks for the input.

Chris

footsore

Hi,
I recently set up a cargo

Hi,
I recently set up a cargo bike with a similar paring. I used the Patterson Metropolis up front and a nuvinci up the back. I like both of the transmissions and would recommend each independently. I found that with the recommended ratios for the nuvnci I am only using the 28 ring of the Patterson as the bigger ratio is too much hard work for the cargo bike. I suspected this might be the case but I added the Patterson anyway because it was a really cool piece of kit and I went all out on the build. So check the sheldon brown gear calculator to see if it is something that is really suited for yourself.
Up front I used a sturmey archer dynamo with drum brake and can't speak highly enough of it. The build quality is excellent and it does exactly what it is meant to, light the way as well as stopping the bike. For the next build I will still use internal gearing and I'm leaning towards the sturmey archer 8 speed with drum in the back as I love the drum brakes.
Peace.

chrisblessing

Thanks guys...

I will have my Patterson Metropolis soon, after which I should be able to determine which IGH I'll get. Currently, the Sturmey Archer X-RF8(W) offers the widest gear range, but I've read of reliability issues. I'm also concerned that the gear jumps from 1-2 and 7-8 are huge. Utah Trikes offers a 20" wheel with this hub for $200.

A 16t gear on a Nexus/Alfine 8 gives me a 17-84 gear inch, which I may soon discover is perfectly usable. Climbing should cease to be an issue. A 20" wheel with this hub is available the same vendor for $499. That's a significant difference in price, but with my being in Malaysia, where there won't be any regional support, reliability trumps gear inches.

I welcome any responses, and will update this thread as things progress.

Thanks,

Chris