future builder questions

Hi, all,

New cruzbike owner, reading all your Silvio posts. This bike is a Sofrider, but the heartrate accompanying the web pictures of Silvios shows where this will probably end up.

Before I jump into that realm, though, I best know what I am getting myself into. A few Silvio questions, therefore:

1. I haven't worked on a bike for 25 years. How difficult (and time-consuming) a process is it to build the Silvio? Does it require buying tools other than the allens and tire irons I already have? Would it be just as good, or better, for me to let a bike shop do the build?

2. It looks like some folks put a lot of thought into selecting the parts. Though I enjoy riding and commuting, I don't know much about various road bike parts possibilities. The idea of dismantling a standard great road bike to use its parts to build another great road bike doesn't seem right to me. But is that the best way to go?

3. Kind of like question #1, since I am not so parts savvy, Is it just as well to give "someone else's" parts list to a bike shop, and get all the needed parts? (and if so, does anyone have a complete list of required parts, or a couple of lists of possible set ups -- basic set up, high end set up, etc?)

4. After all those procedure questions, a budget question: what cost should I anticipate for a finished Silvio, including the $2,200 bare frame price?

To anyone with advice on these matters, thanks for your help.

Best wishes,
David Hardt

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
Hi David and welcome!

Building the Silvio is pretty straight forward once you get the frame assembled. There are a ton of resources available; not just here with people that have built (and wrecked :oops: ) their bikes, but elsewhere on the Internet. Bike parts are bike parts. The biggest development since you wrenched is indexed shifting and the key to that is cable tension. Once you figure that out, the rest is the same as it always was.

The Silvio is really aimed at people that already have a road bike that they no longer ride and can strip the components off of. In lieu of that, you can buy a donor bike, then sell off the frame and other bits you do not require for your build. Believe it, or not, this is probably one of the cheaper ways to go. Your other option is to scour e-bay for individual components for the cheapest deals. You can pay full retail for your parts, but the build cost will go up pretty quickly.

As far as tools go, a lot will be determined by what parts you end up using. If you use a standard tapered end Shimano bottom bracket, you need that wrench. Same for Campy. If you end up getting the newer styled octo link or whatever, there's another tool. That's the biggest thing, is the bottom bracket. The headset is integrated, so you don't need a cup press. For cables and housing, you might want a decent cable/houseing cutter. Otherwise, it's pretty much a cinch.

Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated. The Silvio is calling you.

Mark

Thanks, Mark. Sorry about your accident, by the way.

As it turns out, I've just recently become a sort of eBay junkie. In fact, that is where I got my Sofrider.

The Specialized Tricross I currently ride is probably not a suitable donor for all the parts, since it is a hybrid road-off road bike, with a triple crank (I am 5'11"). And I understand you saying I should not buy the parts direct from my bike shop, if I want to save money anyway.

If I wanted to find one "Silvio parts bike" on eBay, how do I tell if the bike will be a good donor?

Best wishes,
David Hardt

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
hardtdavid wrote: Thanks, Mark. Sorry about your accident, by the way.

As it turns out, I've just recently become a sort of eBay junkie. In fact, that is where I got my Sofrider.

The Specialized Tricross I currently ride is probably not a suitable donor for all the parts, since it is a hybrid road-off road bike, with a triple crank (I am 5'11"). And I understand you saying I should not buy the parts direct from my bike shop, if I want to save money anyway.

If I wanted to find one "Silvio parts bike" on eBay, how do I tell if the bike will be a good donor?

Best wishes,
David Hardt

If I were shopping for a donor bike, I would look for something that sported at least a nine speed rear and triple front. I'd look for a component group that was (Shimano) 105, or better. Likely, you will find a bike that has a mixture of components and the critical thing you want to concern yourself with is the brifters. Don't settle for less than 105. Same thing for the rear derailleur, try to stay above 105 quality. Front derailleur is not so critical. Wheels, well, you'll probably get what you get. You can always upgrade later if you get some real lame hubs. Dual pivot brake calipers are desirable. Don't fret if you get Tektro or other off-brand calipers. They are frequently as good, if not better than the big boys' stuff. You will need to buy a crank removal tool and bottom bracket removal tool. That should do it for you as far as disassembly tools and you can use the bottom bracket tool for assembly of your Silvio. Frame material and size do not matter to you, except possible for resale value. Just leave the frame, fork and handlebar for whomever you re-sell it to.

Good luck and have fun!

Mark