Giro Vanquish visor hack

cpml123

Zen MBB Master
Now it's finally sunny, after 9 months of rain, I am riding outside more and noticing that I seem to stare at the sun sometimes or just seeing a lot of glare. I have a Giro Vanquish helmet which the eye shield attaches magnetically. I thought of making a visor with magnetic attachment.

Here is v1, after a couple tries.

I got a visor and 10mm magnets from Amazon. I cut a little opening from the end and squeezed magnets through to 3 attachment points.

It actually worked pretty well and blocked the sun glare! It held onto the helmet until about 22mph and flew off going downhill. It's definitely anti aero because I could feel the helmet lifting slightly.

For v2, I am going to cut the brim back and maybe drill a few holes for the air to go through. I will also add a tether so that I don't need to turn around when it flies off. :)

Attachments

• 20230704_143504.jpg
    20230704_143504.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 18
  • 20230704_143551.jpg
    20230704_143551.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 18
  • 20230704_143618.jpg
    20230704_143618.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 18

Bill Wightman

I have the same helmet with the same glare problem. What I did that works really well is to place black gaffers tape over the top ~half of the inside of the visor. With the angle my head lays back on the headrest this is perfect. There is a slight need to raise my head to see when I sit up but this is worth the protection to my eyes. Be careful to not block out too much visor field of view, for the sake of safety.

Just recently I have abandoned the visor for some Ray Ban single prescription sunglasses with leather side shields. I did this because the visor is both hot and uncomfortable on long rides in the summer. Also I feel that the sunglasses may actually be more aero in the unorthodox recumbent V20 laid back head position. If I need to, I will put some dark polypropylene tape on the upper inside portions of these new glasses lenses to block the sun as required. Another reason I went to these sunglasses is the high quality UV blocking, polarization, and retroreflection blocking. I am trying to slow down cataract formation that comes with outdoor sports.

Attachments

• IMG_7051.jpg
    IMG_7051.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_7050.jpg
    IMG_7050.jpg
    878.2 KB · Views: 10

cpml123

Zen MBB Master
I have the same helmet with the same glare problem. What I did that works really well is to place black gaffers tape over the top ~half of the inside of the visor. With the angle my head lays back on the headrest this is perfect. There is a slight need to raise my head to see when I sit up but this is worth the protection to my eyes. Be careful to not block out too much visor field of view, for the sake of safety.

Just recently I have abandoned the visor for some Ray Ban single prescription sunglasses with leather side shields. I did this because the visor is both hot and uncomfortable on long rides in the summer. Also I feel that the sunglasses may actually be more aero in the unorthodox recumbent V20 laid back head position. If I need to, I will put some dark polypropylene tape on the upper inside portions of these new glasses lenses to block the sun as required. Another reason I went to these sunglasses is the high quality UV blocking, polarization, and retroreflection blocking. I am trying to slow down cataract formation that comes with outdoor sports.
I like it! Thanks!

black gaffers tape over the top ~half of the inside of the visor.
Brilliant! I think I'll try that. I use the Giro Vanquish when I want the most aero ride and if it won't be too hot from the sun. Maybe now there'll be less greenhouse effect.

Side note: I have another helmet that I taped on some carbon fiber that I cut to shape a visor. It keeps me cooler, prevents sun burn, and keeps most the rain off the glasses. Not carefully measured, but I estimate it increases my CdA by 0.01, not a lot, but if chasing KOMs...

Attachments

• IMG_7703.jpg
    IMG_7703.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 4

cpml123

Zen MBB Master
V2 with less brim and a tether. Can go up to 28 mph without flying off. I will try the black tape method next.

Attachments

• 20230705_154715.jpg
    20230705_154715.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
I was looking at some Scuba lights yesterday because they are of course waterproof, but usually are operable with 1 hand, and some of them use an 18650 battery which usually ranges between 2400-3400mhA meaning you get a lot of run time with them. At the SCUBA shop though they also had some Waterski stuff there, and I noticed that the waterski helmets had a brim built into them. Probably too heavy for cycling, but they look a little similar to what you guys are making.