Goggles

ccf

Guru
There have been a number of threads about glasses, googles, face shields, etc. I had corneal edema in my left eye at the WTTC in Borrego Springs. It was caused by the cold air overnight. Since them I've been trying different goggles and face shields. The one I found works best is Kroops Boogie goggles. They are designed for horse jockeys (Kroops has a similar product with a different head strap for sky divers). They are flexible, so the fit is excellent. My first test was on my MTB when the air temperature was 45F. My eyes never teared up at all, and the goggles didn't fog up until I was climbing a steep hill at ~5mph. Next test was on my V20. I did get a little bit of tearing when descending at 38mph when the temperature was 48F. And the goggles fogged a little when climbing at 7mph. I switched from the goggles to my Oakley glasses on the way back. The difference was dramatic. My eyes were tearing on and off the entire way back, and the lowest temperature was 54F.

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
I heard about that CCF. I hope everything is ok now. Thanks for the recommendation on the Kroops Boogie goggles. I have been stumped on trying to find eye protection that doesn't block the vision, provides just enough air flow to reduce fogging, and at least is strong enough to handle a decent sized bug at 40kph. I have blanketed every SCUBA shop, snowboard/ski shop, airsoft shop, athletic shop, motorcycle shop as well as a few eyeglass shops and have come up empty handed.

Reactions: ccf

ccf

Guru
I heard about that CCF. I hope everything is ok now. Thanks for the recommendation on the Kroops Boogie goggles. I have been stumped on trying to find eye protection that doesn't block the vision, provides just enough air flow to reduce fogging, and at least is strong enough to handle a decent sized bug at 40kph. I have blanketed every SCUBA shop, snowboard/ski shop, airsoft shop, athletic shop, motorcycle shop as well as a few eyeglass shops and have come up empty handed.
My vision cleared in 4 hours with no lasting effects, thanks.

Another nice thing about the Kroops Boogie googles is that the rim is very thin. So even with my head back on the V20, the lower part of the rim doesn't interfere with my view. That's not the case with safety goggles that I tried. Also, the top of the rim fits properly under the edge of my Giro Vanquish helmet.

Last edited:

ccf

Guru
RockBrothers Photochromic Glasses. Great fit and block sun and wind very well. They look like something to be used on a construction job.
Those look good and probably work great in warmer weather, but I'm looking for something that will block cold air when I'm moving fast. Even the shield on my Giro Vanquish won't do that because my head is back.

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
RockBrothers Photochromic Glasses. Great fit and block sun and wind very well. They look like something to be used on a construction job.
Those look pretty nice Bruce, and easy on the wallet too.

CCF, I have tried quite a few pairs of sunglasses that I hoped would keep the cold air from getting a direct shot into my eyes while riding my V20, and the best sunglass model so far for me is the Alpina Twist 5 series. They all have adjustable nosepieces to get the lense closer to your eyes and the top of the frame close to your forehead, and adjustable arms so you can incline the lense to get the bottom closer to your cheekbone. Now, air doesn't have a direct shot from the front, especially when I use a shield. A little air can of course still swirl around the side, but it's not a direct shot anymore.

It was expensive but I bought this lense model that has all the bells and whistles, 100% UVA/UVB, photochromic, polarized, mirror fogstop and hydrophobic coating, it has been my goto pair. They were around $300.

Other models in the $80-100 range in the series aren't as expensive so they aren't polarized or photochromic, but the basic design is the same so they might do what you need. Another good thing is that there is no rim. The glasses sit close enough to touch my cheekbones close to my nose so I can't even see the bottom of the lense there anyway.

With all that said, I think the most important factor I currently have in stopping the wind and debris from hitting my eyes is 1 magnetized (by me) lense that sits even lower, and wraps around the sides a bit more. I'd rather have 1 system for eye protection and aerodynamics though.

Addryn

Those look pretty nice Bruce, and easy on the wallet too.

CCF, I have tried quite a few pairs of sunglasses that I hoped would keep the cold air from getting a direct shot into my eyes while riding my V20, and the best sunglass model so far for me is the Alpina Twist 5 series. They all have adjustable nosepieces to get the lense closer to your eyes and the top of the frame close to your forehead, and adjustable arms so you can incline the lense to get the bottom closer to your cheekbone. Now, air doesn't have a direct shot from the front, especially when I use a shield. A little air can of course still swirl around the side, but it's not a direct shot anymore.

It was expensive but I bought this lense model that has all the bells and whistles, 100% UVA/UVB, photochromic, polarized, mirror fogstop and hydrophobic coating, it has been my goto pair. They were around $300.

Other models in the $80-100 range in the series aren't as expensive so they aren't polarized or photochromic, but the basic design is the same so they might do what you need. Another good thing is that there is no rim. The glasses sit close enough to touch my cheekbones close to my nose so I can't even see the bottom of the lense there anyway.

With all that said, I think the most important factor I currently have in stopping the wind and debris from hitting my eyes is 1 magnetized (by me) lense that sits even lower, and wraps around the sides a bit more. I'd rather have 1 system for eye protection and aerodynamics though.
Thank you for the information!