Gonna give it a shot.

BadKarma

Okay, I think I'm gonna try this.

I was just starting the build process on a Lemond DF road bike to ride for a long term goal century next summer, but ran across the frame kit on ebay and got curious.

Questions:

I have a few SRAM parts coming for the other bike, I hope they can work on this one too?

Is the Softride frame kit designed for 26" wheels or is 700 also easy to use?

can I use just any brakes? SRAM? Shimano?

What should I look for in a fork setup?

thanks guys for any and all help.

BadKarma

After roaming through and

After roaming through and seeing other conversions, can "any" Y frame be used? Surly not those box store hazards? It seems that the "Next" bikes and the Mongooses are from the same Manuf.

Andrew 1973

Zen MBB Master
I'm new to this but...

The "box store hazards" aren't always a bed bet. Specifically, take a look at the Next Tiara. I am working on a conversion now (I have yet to purchase a kit) and Doug Burton has done some amazing work with this frame.

http://cruzbike.com/forum/data/sites/default/ckfinder/images/IMAG0321a.jpg

BadKarma

AWWW MAN!!!!! I wish you had

AWWW MAN!!!!! I wish you had not posted that link!!!!

That is so sweeet!!!!!

Okay. I give, ya got me.

2012 SRAM Apex 2x10 Compact Road Crankset & GXP BB - 175 50/34 will be here tomarrow.
Matching Front Derailleur is on the way also w/ clamp ring for braze-ons.
I'm planning on SRAM 1050 11-32 10spd cassette.

Please tell me that these are workable parts.

Andrew 1973

Zen MBB Master
It does look sweet, doesn't it?

But bear in mind, Doug has amazing building skills and apparently, a parts bin to die for. He is using an Easton carbon fibre swingarm, what appears to be a clamp from a Silvio to attach the boom to the steering tube and what I would guess is a Rans curved riser to get the bar to a proper height for knee clearance. I to am working on a Tiara, but if I had access to those kind of parts, it just might hold off my desire for a Silvio a little bit longer.

As far as your components, I'm no expert but I would guess all of it will be compatible. Are you going to use a double-tap road lever or a flat bar varienty?

BadKarma

If everything else works out,

If everything else works out, then I'm thinking Double taps on maybe a Nitti Whisker or something like that.

I've been looking around online and the Tiara seems hard to find locally, but I have a line on a sweet Next mens bike in need of parts that are not important to the conversion. Otherwise pretty much new. $40 sound reasonable? ;)