Great Fenders (Mudguards) for the S40

Hi folks,

I'm sure you have your own preferences for fender / mudguard providers but just in case (especially for anybody outside the USA) I wanted to give a shout out for the SKS Stingrays... I've just fitted some to the S40 and I'm really pleased with them:

https://www.sks-germany.com/en/products/bluemels-stingray-28-45-blue-set/

If anybody wants pictures of them fitted I can add some

In terms of fit I only had to cut the rear guard down by around 3 inches (not totally necessary but I did it for symmetry)

I bought mine brand new on Facebook Marketplace for £15 :emoji_thumbsup:

McWheels

Off the long run
I went with Longboards in the end. Been really good, even if the front one doesn't quite go far enough forward to cover the BB.

Robert C

I got SKS Edge. Excellent. Very rigid. Strong and stable. A lot easier to fit mudguards on the S40 than the Silvio. Maybe because the wheels are 650b.
Hello. I’ve got an S-30, later than the Silvio but still sporting the 700s. What did you use for midguarda on the Silvio?

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
I used Raceblade Long on my Silvio. Now I have Edge Al 46. These are meant for 700c. SKS were not manufacturing Edge Al when I got the Silvio, but I think they are better than Raceblade. If anyone has a Silvio2 with 700c and they are about to get mudguards I recommend. Edge Al.

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
I suddenly remembered something. Raceblade Long mudguards come in two pieces. Each piece is attached by a metal bracket that fits under the fork crown. This is a lot narrower than the mudguard itself. A one-piece mudguard may be too wide. The S40 has a lot of space under there, especially if you have 650b.

Robert C

Yes a 2 piece design makes more sense to me- so that the fork and brake calipers would it in the gap. The speedrocker from SKS also came up in this forum

benphyr

Guru-me-not
Competent can be competently replaced by “willing to try for a while.”

There is nothing that should stop anyone who is willing, has a few hours of fresh air time and some very basic tools from attaching fenders. Yes, they are finicky and you might have to try a few times but you can’t hurt anything except your frustratiometer. Go get ‘em.

rdl03

Thanks for this post. Was happy to find it, rather than having to ask a new question. I want clearance for wider tires (especially the one underneath me), so I went with a slightly different model, the SKS B53 Commuter.

Speaking of which - in Cruzland, is the wheel with the cassette the Front Wheel?

McWheels

Off the long run
I fettled the front mudguard (SKS longboards) with an additional spider under the bottom bracket and gave up on the fork crown attachment point, using a second spider there instead. Now I just need some bolt croppers on the stays.

Attachments

• 20211114_191012.jpg
    20211114_191012.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 20