Ground control to Major Tom …

3WHELZ

Guru
… commencing countdown engines on.

Okay, enough David Bowie. My wife’s Quad has found a new home with a company that transforms bikes into electric assist vehicles. They plan to use the quad for experimental engineering.

With the Quad now gone, I now have the space and more importantly the blessings of my spouse to acquire a Silvio. So, before I pull the trigger, any recommendations are welcomed, besides the obvious response of, “buy it.”

Thank you

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
Will you be doing your own build, or having a bike shop assemble? Any preference for components, or are you going to order the Campy package to go with?

I'm excited for you! This is a fun bike!

Mark

3WHELZ

Guru
I plan to build it myself. I have built several recumbents from the ground up. Tearing a GTT down to the frame, having it powdercoated, and totally re-building it was a good warm up. As an engineer, it would be difficult to swallow my pride and have a shop build it for me. ;)

The Silvio does not appear to be overly exotic from a build perspective. I am leaning towards the Campy components based on the recommendations made by you and others.

Thanks

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
3WHELZ wrote: I plan to build it myself. I have built several recumbents from the ground up. Tearing a GTT down to the frame, having it powdercoated, and totally re-building it was a good warm up. As an engineer, it would be difficult to swallow my pride and have a shop build it for me. ;)

The Silvio does not appear to be overly exotic from a build perspective. I am leaning towards the Campy components based on the recommendations made by you and others.

Thanks

It sounds like you'll be just ducky! I did my second build in one afternoon! The only thing is, if you are short legged, the 13 tooth high gear might be problematic. Personally, I like my 11 tooth butt haulin' gear.

Mark

3WHELZ

Guru
At 6'2", I think I should be okay. Although, I do have a concern regarding the clearance issue some have had between the cassette, chain, and fork during their builds.

I do wonder how long it will take to ride it proficiently. I have been riding trikes, first a Greenspeed (GS) and then a Windcheetah (WC) for several years now. I haven't required training wheel since when I negotiated with my father to remove them at age four many, many years ago. :lol:

Lastly, is the topic of comfort at speed. When I use to ride uprights, I recall that the bike began to feel as though it was skipping when you reached around 40 mph. I would assume the same for the Silvio? I know from my experience with the WC, at the mid 40s, it becomes a bit jittery due to its narrow track; whereas, the GS stays rock solid. I have the GS near 60 mph down along steep decent and the only worry was animal crossing my path.

Thanks in advance.

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
I think you'll be fine with the 13 tooth. As I understand the problem, it's been the guys with shorter legs that have to run the TFT shorter. They have a higher bottom bracket, which puts the chain at a steeper angle, which rubs the fork. If you run the TFT out, I believe the angle of the chain is shallower and it does not rub. Doug, feel free to corrrect me if I'm wrong.

The bike is pretty stable on downhills, but I get pretty nervous over 40. I've never had any weird speed wobbles, or anything, but that's about my comfort level. YMMV.

If you're like me, you'll get to where you feel like playing in traffic after a week, or two of semi-regular riding. I'd expect it to take about three weeks to a month to get really comfortable on it. You'll continue to pick up nuances after that, but will have a pretty good handle on the basics. During the time you're learing, I would not flip-flop to a RWD bike. I believe this steepens the learning curve.

Good luck and keep us up to date on your build and your riding progress!

Mark

3WHELZ

Guru
Mark - thank you. Your advice is greatly appreciated. A final question before taking the plunge, and let me caveat it by saying there is no liability to you or anyone else that answers this question (no, I am not a lawyer). From what I have read, the components and wheel set offered by Cruzbike both compliments the machine and is a good value. Any final thoughts in this area?

Thanks once again.

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
3WHELZ wrote: Mark - thank you. Your advice is greatly appreciated. A final question before taking the plunge, and let me caveat it by saying there is no liability to you or anyone else that answers this question (no, I am not a lawyer). From what I have read, the components and wheel set offered by Cruzbike both compliments the machine and is a good value. Any final thoughts in this area?

Thanks once again.

One of the reasons I went to the Silvio was because it would allow me to use my Campy components. I believe that Campy products are of excellent quality and HIGHLY compliment the Silvio. Besides, it just blows roadies minds to see Campy products on a road bike!

The package that Cruzbike offers is an excellent value. You're talking about a quality group at a great price. You might be able to put it together cheaper yourself, but I think you'd have to spend a lot of time shopping around for deals.

Mark

3WHELZ

Guru
Okay, order placed today to include the components and wheel set. Other than cables, housing, rim tape, tubes, and tires anything else needed locally? On the topic of housing and cables, any idea on the total length of housing needed and whether a long brake cable is needed for the rear. Lastly, I suspect purchasing a bike repair stand may facilitate the build?

Thanks again for the assistance

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
3WHELZ wrote: Okay, order placed today to include the components and wheel set. Other than cables, housing, rim tape, tubes, and tires anything else needed locally? On the topic of housing and cables, any idea on the total length of housing needed and whether a long brake cable is needed for the rear. Lastly, I suspect purchasing a bike repair stand may facilitate the build?

Thanks again for the assistance

This workstad holds the bike well; but ti can be a little fiddly to get the clamp lined up:

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=24377&subcategory_ID=4216

The bottom of the frame is reinforced to accomodate a conventional clamp stand, but you'll find the bike somewhat high in the air.

IMG_2223.jpg

I modified one of the Ultimate portable stands by drilling a through-hole about a foot lower on the main tube and remounted the clamp there - it works better for recumbents in general:

IMG_2760.jpg

You need at least a 2100mm rear brake cable. A tandem cable works well; you'll waste some of it but it makes runnung the cable easier.

About 6' of bulk housing should take care of the brakes. Dont forget housing ferrules and cable ends!

Glad to have you in the Silvio fraternity/sorority!

Best,

Doug

3WHELZ

Guru
Doug - thank you for the info. It will certainly help in preparing for the Silvio's arrival. Did you use brake housing to house the derailleur cables?

Also, I am about an hour an a half up 95 from you in Northern Virginia. You kind enough to offer me a test ride on your Silvio last month.

Dean

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
No, you want derailleur cable housing. It's a completely different critter from brake housing.

Mark

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
Mark B wrote: No, you want derailleur cable housing. It's a completely different critter from brake housing.

Mark

That it is indeed. And it's particularly important on the Silvio, where you'll be wrapping the cables under the handlebar tape. The inner jacket on brake housing is coiled steel, where derailleur housing uses steel wires that run the length of the housing to keep it from compressing. If you use brake cable housing, the housing will shorten over time and you'll find yourself readjusting the derailleurs very often, and the return shift will seem "lazy".

Good catch.

3WHELZ

Guru
Okay, maybe I was being a little too polite here. ;)

Actually, I know the difference and its application from past installs/rebuilds. I guess I should have been more straightforward an asked how much derailleur housing is needed.

Thank you, Dean