Hancock (IN) Flat 50

paco1961

Zen MBB Master
For anyone in the region or willing to travel, this is a great race/ride. Cancelled in 2020, like just about everything, it is scheduled for August 28. It is an almost completely flat 50 miler that I believe fellow CBer @cruzelike won a couple of years ago. Would be great to have a large CB contingent there.

For those wondering just how flat the Flat 50 is, I emailed the organizer before the 2019 event to ask exactly that question. His response was, "well, we go up and over the interstate twice." To be fair, there are a few little hlls here and there - 833' total climb in 50 miles https: https://www.strava.com/activities/2647377131 . Then, of course, there's the wind . . . In '19, I got caught behind a few dropped water bottles 1/2 mile into the start and lost the lead group. By the time I navigated around the bottles they had me by about 100 yards or so - but into a stiff and relentless wind. That was the last I saw of the lead group. The remainder turned into a time trial and a little picking off of dead meat dropping off the lead pack. But well organized and operated event.

Event is just east of Indianapolis about 25 miles.

Still waiting for registration details to be announced but the date is set as far as I can tell.

Reactions: 3bs

M.J

Looks like fun and close enough that it wouldn't require an overnight. I'll keep an eye on this one and hope to see you there!

IndianaDave

Zen MBB Apprentice
Just saw this ...
New v20 rider and should be competitive in 2022.

I'm an hour north of Indy. Got 2022 date?
Thx

M.J

I completely forgot about this. The local club had their annual century ride that weekend, anyway.
A race would be more fun, if this is the same weekend next year I'll probably go.

M.J

Resurrecting this instead of making a new post with the same name...
Anyone have firm plans to go this year? I'd love to team up with another couple CBers and take a run at the win. It seems like the competition was a little more serious last year and, barring terrible weather, it will probably take 25mph+ to win it.

CruzLike

Guru
Hi MJ and others
I'm willing to help in any way possible. I have experience on the route and could make recommendations on racing strategery.

I've been off the bike most of the year. This year will not be my year to challenge for the title.

Reactions: M.J

M.J

I went ahead and signed up.
I've been training for 10 mile TTs all year, so after the next one I'll be switching focus to training for a fast 50. I'm glad I have a little time to figure out nutrition and stuff between now and then.

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
I'll be switching focus to training for a fast 50. I'm glad I have a little time to figure out nutrition and stuff between now and then.
It's easy to train for: every other day ride 2 hours as hard as you can - in 10 weeks you'll smoke it! ;)
So much easier than training for a Century! Haha
Aug 27 - I'd love to join you guys - I'll see if I can work it in!

Reactions: M.J

M.J

It's easy to train for: every other day ride 2 hours as hard as you can - in 10 weeks you'll smoke it! ;)
So much easier than training for a Century! Haha
Aug 27 - I'd love to join you guys - I'll see if I can work it in!
I do like a simple plan! :D

M.J

I ended up doing this race, but on my Metabikes Mystique instead of the V20. My V is set up for time trials, and it excells at that, but isn't ideal for 50 miles of mostly subpar pavement.
I rode with the front group for the first 20 miles or so, attacked on a downhill and ended up in a two man breakaway for another 20ish, got caught by the 25 rider peloton at mile 43, and finished 25th overall (2nd in my age group) with a time of 2 hours and 8 seconds.
It was a lot of fun! Pretty well organized with county police stopping traffic for us at some of the busier intersections. I plan to be back next year.

Attachments

• 20220811_135531.jpg
    20220811_135531.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 11

piston9

Sounds great - if you are riding next year, post closer and i'll see if I can make it, i'm only 4 hours drive away, and looking for rides :D