Handle bar discussion -

randyspann

- Haven't been out on the Silvio for about a week - too many "honey dos"! So I thought I would curb my wanting to ride with a discussion on the merits of handle bar positions on the Silvio.

I like my bars (drop bars) set with a fairily extended arm while in the "drops". This gives (at least) four positions for riding.

1) In the drops - great all around default position. I can apply gentle forward pressure for riding the flats, pull up for bumps. Good power/leverage postition for climbs. Great stability on fast down hills and hands near the brakes.

2) Out on the ends of the drops - Great slack arm/relaxing position. Good for recovery after climbs and grabbing a sip.

3) Mid on the hoods - Relaxed position for spinning and loosening the arm muscles. (elbows out!)

4) Far out on the hoods - Power position for sprints. Hard cranking on the flats and climbs.

Add your thoughts and comments!

Ted

Handlebar pics

Hi Randy,

Could you add 2 or 3 pictures so we could have a visual of exactly how you've got your handlebars positioned?
Thanks,

Ted

randyspann

Picture

Hi Ted - I have one picture handy. However it doesn't show the rider with reach. You will also notice seat extension and stearing tube extension - I'm tall.
silvio-c(1).jpg width: 932px;

randyspann

What got me started...

- What got me started to thinking about this is when I converted from mountain bike to road bike with drop bars, the rationale for dropbars was "more hand postions". To alleviate hand and wrist problems. But in watching my wife on her roadie and observing many other roadies in our area, I would guess about 95% always ride "on the hoods". Very few get into the drops.
And watching a video of Jim P., he noted two hand positions: drops and on the hoods. With many hours in the seat on the Silvio, I notice I often can relax in the other two positions and mostly pedal steer with the legs. We, on recumbents don't have the hand and wrist problems, but do have at times, on cruzbikes, the "tired arms" mentioned elsewhere on these forums.

Kim Tolhurst

restfull angle for drops.

Hi, When setting up the drops for myself, this is the indicator I use. Raise arm to almost shoulder height, and slightly bent elbow, close fist gently and point thumb.The angle of pointing thumb and closing fist becomes angle of drops. To create other positions that you mention its then a matter of hood placement. Now the weight of the arms on drops is carried some what in a restful position as the drops act like a little ledge.Thus resting on the hoods or drops is duplicated. Also I have found it a good angle for pushing and pulling in the cruzbike style, and, always ready for action, and that tired arms come from a really good work out and not from just using the bike, so to speak. I cannot remember becoming arm fit for cruzbiking though for those starting out it is a naturally occuring theme as time passes. Hope its a hint for some and that my Australian English makes sense.

cheers, Kim.