Handlebar physics question.

K Snyder

I just bought a used Quest, and let me start by saying she is a thing of she is a thing of beauty.

When I did the test ride my knee kept hitting the shifter.
When I got home I tried to raise the handlebars and they were already to the top.
So I took the clamp that is between the stem and the handlebar and turned it 180 degrees.
That fixed the problem.

So my question, is there a disadvantage in having my handlebars setup this way?

I am thinking about buying a longer adjustable stem that brings the handlebars even closer to me.

Jeremy S

Dude
This is how I rode my

This is how I rode my Sofrider for years. I also lowered the handlebars since they were well behind my knees. Worked for me.

billyk

Guru
yup. but why adjustable?

Same situation here. But adjustable stems are expensive and heavy. You only need one to experiment with the positions, then it'll be fixed forever. I found one for $5 at a second bike parts store, used it to find the position I liked, then bought a nice light one for $20 in that length/angle. No reason to carry around extra and unnecessary hardware.

BK

Plazebo

Rotate the shifter

I wasn't ready to turn the stem around for space reasons but I found rotating the shifter so that the cables passed over the handlebars saved my knee from striking it. I can't see the 9x gear indicator but given there is only one front chain ring there is no risk of cross-chaining.

alt="Rotated shifter gives better knee clearance"
shifter-rotate-med.jpg

K Snyder

Thanks everyone for the input.

Lots of good feedback.
I am shorter 5'6" and think I would like the handlebars to be as close as possible.
Billy I sent you a pm. Do you know what stem you ended up with?
I have looked at cruiser bars like http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=ihaSllxzwic&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DihaSllxzwic not sure I want to go that route.

billyk

Guru
mine is short and steep

Mine is short and steep, but this is really a personal thing. See if you can get a cheap used adjustable stem and play around with it, in either handlebar position. That's really the only way to figure out what works for you.

I don't see the PM, but maybe I don't know where to look.

BK