Handlebars too wide?

rdl03

I'm at the small end 5'6" of riders that fit the S40. In particular, I find the handlebars overly wide.
Wonder if others have switched to narrower ones? Would you recommend staying with a flared bar?
Debating between a non-flared 46, and a flared 44.

thanks!

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
I have tried 440mm, 420mm and now I have 390mm. It seems like most go wide enough to clear their knees or thighs and turn them down for a bit of aero, and the 390mm bars are a bit too narrow for my legs to fit so the 420mm are what I would do next if I were to put on another pair of drop or flared bars. I have also tried a few bullhorns which were ok, but dropped or flared is better IMO.

rdl03

I have tried 440mm, 420mm and now I have 390mm. It seems like most go wide enough to clear their knees or thighs and turn them down for a bit of aero, and the 390mm bars are a bit too narrow for my legs to fit so the 420mm are what I would do next if I were to put on another pair of drop or flared bars. I have also tried a few bullhorns which were ok, but dropped or flared is better IMO.
Wow! I thought I was being daring trying a pair of 400mm bars on my DF bike. 390mm is narrow.
I first assembled my S40 with a pair of 420mm bars, that I immediately took off. Now that I have the fit more dialed in, and a couple hundred km of riding, maybe I should give them another try.

Here is a forum conversation about handlebars from a few years back. https://forum.cruzbike.com/threads/s30-water-bottle-mounts-and-handlebar.11247/#post-126320

It will give you a few ideas. I ride an S30 and use the Salsa woodchipper bar at 440 width. The basic deal is to run a bar about the width of your shoulders. I did not like the wide cruzbike bar either but that isn’t the current cruzbike bar. I found my handling improved with the narrower bar. It may not be the same for you.

chicorider

Zen MBB Master

Attachments

• V20c 3.jpg
    V20c 3.jpg
    302.4 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0009.JPG
    IMG_0009.JPG
    6.5 MB · Views: 34

rdl03

I've switched to a pair of non-flared 44 cm drop bars. Definitely feels more comfortable for me.

Robert Holler

Administrator
Staff member
The road bars that come on the bikes are a wider clone of the Salsa Woodchipper II bar. That bar can be found off the shelf in narrower widths for folks who might like the bar itself (flair, straighter hand section, etc) but just narrower - down to 42cm I believe.

Of course other road bars are all good too.

Robert