Has anyone tested the aero effects of the race case?

Bentsoup

Unicorn Retriever
I saw one on the clearance section (it's already sold) and the only reason I hesitated to buy it is because I couldn't find any info on what effects it has on the V20. Does it make the bike more aero, less aero, no effect? Has anyone done any testing to see how much it affects the bike?

Pic for reference:

download.jpg

I also saw this one randomly on google images listed as a carbon fiber case, never saw this one though:
cf case.jpg

M.J

Having something behind the seat is a gain on very reclined bikes. Folks have found that even having water bottles behind the headrest is a gain.
I always run a Brainbox or similar on my bikes and can feel the difference at speed if I take it off. My theory is that it keeps the air coming over the rider's shoulders separate from the air coming up from under the bike, reducing turbulence behind the rider.

Aikigreg

It's a gain, though maybe not much of one. Most CamelBak style packs even help upright riders be more aero for the exact reason MJ described above.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
They wind tunnel tested it. It helped with the small riders like Maria and Larry. Oddly the dual bottle behind the head scores better in most cases. But anything behind the head helps improve aero

Bentsoup

Unicorn Retriever
They wind tunnel tested it. It helped with the small riders like Maria and Larry. Oddly the dual bottle behind the head scores better in most cases. But anything behind the head helps improve aero
That helps. I do need something to store wallet, phone, etc. but I also liked the dual water bottle setup I had on the back. Any other options I might consider? I think Dolphin makes one, but it looks huge. I would want something more refined.

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
That helps. I do need something to store wallet, phone, etc. but I also liked the dual water bottle setup I had on the back. Any other options I might consider? I think Dolphin makes one, but it looks huge. I would want something more refined.
Yes, the Dolphin Box is huge - plus you can't get into it while riding
20200919_181457.jpg
I finally resorted into making some of my own: This one each side has a flap that opens - I can carry 2 1-liter bottles in each side if I want.
20211206_111242.jpg

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
I have a dual bag setup that works with the bottles plenty of photos in the forum on my Silvio, If I can't find one I'll take a new picture. For the V-series the moose pack is still the best