Headset Assembly - Parts don't match installation photo

Got my frame today and have started putting the bike together, but have come to a stop at the headset installation. The installation pictures show another chrome crown race? installed over the black cup which sits on top of the Kind shock. I do not have this part. I received a compression ring, lower bearing, upper bearing, shim seal, and black crown race.

Am I missing a part?

Also received 3 spacers where installation photo shows 2. Do I need to put all spacers in?

Jim

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
Jim,

Not sure, I need to do some work on my front end this weekend, I'll take inventory of the parts in my headset and report back. It sounds like you might be short a piece.

You need the three spacers to give clearance over the aheadset cap to get your cables into the guides which, IMHO, are welded in the wrong place to begin with. :? Wait, did I type that out loud? :oops: :lol: :lol:

Mark

Thanks Mark. I also emailed Jim Parker to try and resolve.

To be a little clearer. The installation pictures show a chrome cap butted to the black cap on top of the Kind shock rubber boot. The chrome cap looks like it's the same diameter as the black cap (which is 10mm on my supplied frame).

My supplied fork only has the black cap on top of the Kind Shock hood - missing the 10 mm chrome cap.

The integrated headset parts I received are a split crown race, bottom bearing, upper bearing, shim seal, top bearing cover, 3 spacers and top cap.

So If I proceeded with my parts received the split crown race would butt next to the black cap on top of the shock hood.

Thanks

Jim

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
truckeejim wrote: Thanks Mark. I also emailed Jim Parker to try and resolve.

To be a little clearer. The installation pictures show a chrome cap butted to the black cap on top of the Kind shock rubber boot. The chrome cap looks like it's the same diameter as the black cap (which is 10mm on my supplied frame).

My supplied fork only has the black cap on top of the Kind Shock hood - missing the 10 mm chrome cap.

The integrated headset parts I received are a split crown race, bottom bearing, upper bearing, shim seal, top bearing cover, 3 spacers and top cap.

So If I proceeded with my parts received the split crown race would butt next to the black cap on top of the shock hood.

Thanks

Jim

The fork crown race should slide right down over the provided shoulder. Now, it sounds like you have everythig. Maybe a picture would help?

Mark

Mark: here's the picture from the installation photos. Note the 10mm chrome flange sits on top of the black 10mm flange which butts the rubber shock hood. The crown race is installed next to the 10mm chrome flange.

My fork (or integrated headset kit) does not have the 10mm chrome flange.

See attached photo from the Silvio online installation guide.

Jim

3WHELZ

Guru
Jim - I just finished my build. Some of the newer parts now are not quite the same as depicted in the instructions. This ring is now black in color. If you need a pic, I will be glad to provide you one of what it looks like assembled. The only thing I found missing was the small plastic cap. I found something similar at the hardware store, but it mostly cosmetic.

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
These are the headset parts as they ship (at least for the frame I have here.)

The headset is upside-down in the first picture.

IMG_3030.jpg

IMG_3031.jpg

IMG_3032.jpg

IMG_3033.jpg

The part that looks like a crown race is actually a split spacer that matches the inner race of the lower bearing to the steerer tube shoulder. It's not clear that it's split in the assembly photos.

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
Now to answer the actual question...

The 10mm silver cap has been deleted from the latest fork design; the split crown spacer rides directly on the fork shoulder ring.

IMG_3034.jpg

IMG_3035.jpg

IMG_3036.jpg

IMG_3037.jpg