Hot in Essex

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
31 miles today in 29 C. Before I went I filled my guts with water. I stopped halfway and filled my guts with the water I was carrying. When I got back I think I was dehydrated. I filled my guts with water again. Nicest water I ever tasted. My Silvio feels at home in this Aussie weather. Could I fit dynamo-powered refrigeration in the seat?

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
Yep I bet you filled with water without needing a restroom? Hydration is a black art. I remember cycling in Cordoba in 36c. I drank as much as I could and I was still overheating . Believe me, it's not good getting your core temperature too high. It's dangerous. Best to get up at 7am and get your 2 hour ride in. This time of year there are no school runs so half the traffic. Midday cycling is not for me.

jond

Zen MBB Master
31 miles today in 29 C. Before I went I filled my guts with water. I stopped halfway and filled my guts with the water I was carrying. When I got back I think I was dehydrated. I filled my guts with water again. Nicest water I ever tasted. My Silvio feels at home in this Aussie weather. Could I fit dynamo-powered refrigeration in the seat?

Lol it’s mid winter here and 25 deg c. Today.

Rod Butler

I'm with y'....I'm a Sydney guy in London for work and loved the idea to come over for some cool weather cycling... doh!

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
DavidCH said:
without needing a restroom
That is what hapenned. I did it again yesterday. I drank even more water than last time. My kidneys did not get any of it. My sweat-glands got the lot. But in 30c I feel fine. I actually go faster than normal. I think I was a camel in a previous life.

yesterday, on another forum I posted

"well, that got rather interesting rather quickly, and not interesting in a good way, more interesting in a holy carp, I may be about to die kind of way.

Out for what I thought was a quick ride, looked fairly clear after rain this morning, with a bit of a decent breeze. Turned for the southward leg, definite headwind, decent workout and then I spotted a line of storms on the horizon headed my way. When I hit one village, just a slight change of direction and all of a sudden I had bits of fen hitting me in the face, winds threatening to take the bike out from under me or push me across the road into oncoming traffic and twonks overtking far too close. It had gone from interesting to the kind of conditions I would not head out into in the space of less than 5 minutes, along with a temperature drop from 34 to 20 celcius. And then the rain came.

I ddn't stop for a waterproof, nowhere to sheleter and no point, stair rods, so bloody quick I was drenched in minutes."

I'm not being over dramatic here, the deterioration was rapid and significant, I was in a place with no shelter and it was @#$king dangerous. Oh well, good training for my tour starting on Friday.