How do you make a workout fun?

trplay

Zen MBB Master
Its official High Speed pulled off another PL invite while over in the Latte Division our very own Ben was busy leading his mostly diamond frame ATP team to a PL finish of their own! On the women's side of the league the once mighty Flamingos showed signs of a comeback with recumbent riders Connie and Elizabeth showing the new flock of birds the way. They know how to make workouts fun!

HIGH SPEED:
1111hsros.jpg

Ben & ATP Nitrogen

1112benros.jpg

Elizabet & Connie the Flamingos

113con-liz.jpg

trplay

Zen MBB Master
Props to Robert Holler who busted the Cat limits last night. Two more rides like this and he Cats up! In addition to Robert, Ed, Jay, Ben, Elizabeth, Josh, Greg, Matt, and Cliff all hit personal bests in at least one of their power numbers. Where were you last night? Oh, OK.

couch-potato-1.jpg

Last edited:

benphyr

Guru-me-not
That was so much fun.

Make no mistake, every single one on our team wrung themselves out to make that time. And fantastic leadership from Lloyd. My numbers look higher because I am the lightest ⚖️ - (definitely not the strongest. )

I love seeing how many of us hit some form of PR in our numbers! It just goes to show that Zwift helps build you up regardless of time of year!

ccf

Guru
I tried a new tactic for recovering while sitting in that I gleaned from watching a guy who is really good at maintaining average speed with the lowest possible W/kg. While in the blob I would get off the power a bit so that I would slowly drift back in the blob, then do 3-4 hard pedal strokes once I was near the back to drift back forward. That seemed to work pretty well. The idea is to use the sticky draft to stay at the same average speed as those in front with the least amount of power. Cycling the power level up and down helps to stay right at the lowest average power that keeps you stuck in the blob. I had pretty good power numbers (for me) because we had a mixed A/B team that was holding a gut-wrenching power level (for me) on the front. I was one of the weaklings, and I think the new tactic helped me hang on.

ccooper

While in the blob I would get off the power a bit so that I would slowly drift back in the blob, then do 3-4 hard pedal strokes once I was near the back to drift back forward.
This is a fairly well-known tactic. Some frown on it, but you're also taking a risk of being at the rear when a breakaway splits off. It's not suitable for a TTT, but maybe for a big race with a big blob.

Reactions: ccf

ccf

Guru
This is a fairly well-known tactic. Some frown on it, but you're also taking a risk of being at the rear when a breakaway splits off. It's not suitable for a TTT, but maybe for a big race with a big blob.

Why would some frown on it? I think it works well for a TTT because the pace is relatively constant. In a large peloton like the ZRL scratch races the peloton speed oscillates/surges too much for it to work well.

benphyr

Guru-me-not
If you are not the team member who is drifting and then surging - would that disrupt the overall smoothness and consistent speed of the team?

Not to be self critical but I have a hard time finding and maintaining just that minimum amount of power to stay in the draft and so find myself either wasting energy pushing in the sticky draft or drifting back.

Do type of trainer, internet connection speed, weight of rider and momentum of bike and wheels effect how constant your speed is? How much your power input delayed effects are?

trplay

Zen MBB Master
I have often said I wish we all could ride in everyone else shoes to get a feel on how they must react while group riding. I have no doubt a zp power rider and one on a trainer that recognizes gradients up to 25% will have a different approach when trying to stay in the group draft. It has to be different doesn't it?

ccooper

Why would some frown on it? I think it works well for a TTT because the pace is relatively constant. In a large peloton like the ZRL scratch races the peloton speed oscillates/surges too much for it to work well.
I believe that some people think it's kind of a cheat, taking advantage of the sticky draft characteristics. It doesn't bother me. I've tried it, but don't find it appealing. But I expect that in a TTT your team members might find it more difficult to match in the paceline...I don't know, since I've not seen it there.

benphyr

Guru-me-not
I believe that some people think it's kind of a cheat, taking advantage of the sticky draft characteristics. It doesn't bother me. I've tried it, but don't find it appealing. But I expect that in a TTT your team members might find it more difficult to match in the paceline...I don't know, since I've not seen it there.
@ccf I am highly curious. If variables such as riders, ride characteristics, were same/similar did your teammates know you were doing this? Did they notice? Do any of your teammates who are analytical types have any observations or feedback? My instinct agrees with @ccooper but Zwift can sometimes surprise us eg. sticky draft.

ccf

Guru
@ccf I am highly curious. If variables such as riders, ride characteristics, were same/similar did your teammates know you were doing this? Did they notice? Do any of your teammates who are analytical types have any observations or feedback? My instinct agrees with @ccooper but Zwift can sometimes surprise us eg. sticky draft.

I don't think anyone noticed. And I didn't use it the entire time. When I was third in line to pull, I moved up and stayed up there until my turn was complete. I told my teammates after the race that I had used the tactic, and they didn't have much to say. The guy from ATP who I learned from weighs the same as me. When we've raced together his average W/kg is 0.2 - 0.3 less than mine. The ATP Admin has commented positively on his ability to race efficiently.