How to almost wipe out on an S40

Start with three days hilly riding, of about 420km in total, so you are well and truly tired.
Take one wrong turn 5 miles from the final destination, putting you onto a road you know you don't want to be on.
Get to the 12% hill that you know you don't want to ride up (it has a crawler lane for slow vehicles), get off and push for about 1km.
Remount the bike for the other side - which gets to something like a 15% downslope.

Hit something like 63km/h approaching a bend (with the brakes being feathered!) and swap your leading foot.

Cue a massive swoop to the left towards a stone wall, catch that with a massive correction to the right and finally get back to the middle of the road.

That was dammned close to my first ever CB accident and it could have been BAD. No idea what was going through the mind of the driver who had been following me down the hill.

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
Terrifying, even reading about it. Did you brake hard? I am always scared of skidding. Did you go onto the wrong side of the road?

McWheels

Off the long run
"Swap your leading foot."

Phenomenal the difference if you're going fast and haven't been practicing it. Right foot I'm good, left foot probably only 90% so far. I'm getting better but it's not natural yet.

Terrifying, even reading about it. Did you brake hard? I am always scared of skidding. Did you go onto the wrong side of the road?
I was feathering the brakes most of the way down, did not snatch them harder. Managed to hold the swerve to the right to no further than the midline

jond

Zen MBB Master
Yes it’s something to avoid. Deadly combination of fatigue and speed.

A locked out leg can also give issue on fast descents that are lumpy bumpy.

It is a matter of familiarity and practice.

Glad you are okay .

Be safe.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
For Max speed and best aero, on a descent I always have the cranks near level to the ground, with both knees together, above the BB slider, so boths legs bent!
At 80 kph, I slow at least 3 kph if the cranks are vertical.