How wet do water filled pot holes make you? And where?

JonB

Zen MBB Master
Hi

After biking today on my upright, and running into alot of potholes on the trail, i was wondering how well a cruzbike handles water filled pot holes. Do you still get wet, and if so, what parts of the body?

This is hopefully my last ride on my upright, as it wasnt really that pleasant :-( Even with padded bike pants and gloves. Going on easter vacation tomorrow, and thinking about ordering a cruzbike in the middle of the vacation so when i come back, the cruzbike will arrive shortly after :)

I also had a flat on the way home, but i suppose not even cruzbike is flat free. Has anyone tried solid rubber wheels?

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
Hi Jon,

Recumbents can soak you from the front. Sofriders and Freeriders accept MTB fender sets; you can use a fork fender in the front or one of those "mudboard" types that attaches to the downtube. The Silvio is well-served by "raceblade" type fensders that attach to the fork blades and seat stays.

I rode a good piece of an MS150 in the rain with road fenders on my kit bike and it worked out okay.

Have fun,

Doug

JonB

Zen MBB Master
Thanks for your reply.

I already have MTB fenders and 2 mudboards on my MTB. I still get wet feet :( but ofc. a cruzbike has the feet elsewhere, so i hope it will work and i do not get wet :cool:

MrSteve

Zen MBB Master
I intentionally miss potholes.
-But do get caught in rain occasionally.

When rain happens, my shoes do get wet pretty quickly;
so do my hands.

Since the bike has no fenders, the back of my neck and head get
pretty wet.

This is all assuming that I remembered to venture out in my rain gear!
If I didn't, well then: I get a good, refreshing, old-fashioned soaking.

-Steve

P.S.
Since I tend to sweat a lot, and the seating area of a Cruzbike extends up to the
shoulderblades... by the end of the days' ride, I'm a, "wetback".
:D

JonB

Zen MBB Master
My back is already wet on an upright, so i will probably also be on a cruzbike. Seems like i need fenders on mine when i get it.

I have tested this in the rain and wind for a 35 km ride I was dry from the rain. I also tested it in the sun when there was a lot of wind. There is a speed increase with the cape on. When there was side wind I just went slower. There are a lot of people that look when I come riding with the cape on. Some have come over and said they have never seen anything like it and that it is smart.
Here is my solution for the rain.

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
When I've gone through spots of water, I get it worst up the back of my neck and head.

Mark

Rick Harker

When I think of capes I also think of super heroes and of course... Mark.
I believe he has some sort of suit for anyone who cares to wear it.

Rick.

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
Rick Harker wrote: When I think of capes I also think of super heroes and of course... Mark.
I believe he has some sort of suit for anyone who cares to wear it.

Rick.

No way, man. The Power Ranger costume was for Robert, to go along with his Power Ranger helmet!

Mark

JonB

Zen MBB Master
JonB wrote: Hi

After biking today on my upright, and running into alot of potholes on the trail, i was wondering how well a cruzbike handles water filled pot holes. Do you still get wet, and if so, what parts of the body?
I can now answer that part myself. I did not get wet at all, no matter what speed i ran through the water and some of the holes where pretty deep, maybe 10 centimeters. The bike do get dirty though :-( and some mud drops did reach my pants, but i did not get wet, i didnt even notice before i came home.