How wide is the front fork on a sofrider?

evblazer

I went to put my new front (normal rear) wheel on the front of my sofrider post chain dive and found that the dropouts are out wider than the axle.
I never really paid attention before but I'd think if I had to widen the quick release as wide as possible to get the wheel in I'd remember. Is the fork usually that wide or is my front end a total loss?
The original and the new wheels are both 135 mm at the outside of the hub/spacers.

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
The O.L.D. dimension is 135mm on the Sofrider/Freerider fork.

I haven't encountered one that's oversize... perhaps you've got a 130mm hub?

Dunno...

evblazer

I just went out and measured. The ID of the dropouts where the axle goes is at 143. Both hubs od after the spacers and such are 135.

Now I was using a different quick release which is somewhere in the grass where I locked up my front wheel so if it was longer it may have made it less trouble to get the wheel in there. The current quick release could have been from a 130 wheel which makes it harder to wind out enough to sqeeze it into the dropouts. I probably only put the wheel on once when I got the bike 3rd hand and might not have noticed just wanted to ride my new toy.

I'll send a note to the person I got it from and see if they remember such an issue. If the spreading of the front triangle at the dropout did occur during the wheel lockup that caused the quick stop is the bike a goner? I have checked for bulges, buckles, cracks and anything out of the ordinary and everything looks and feels solid although I can't say I really paid that close attention pre accident except looking for cracks, loose bits or a loose headset.