I hate you guys..

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
You know... My conversion is a fun bike, but it's just heavier than it needs to be. I can't get the seat just right and keep having to fuss with this and that... It's a blast, but maybe not such a great daily rider/commuter. I've been thinking of ways to improve the frame and I know it can be done, but the question always arises, "How much is this going to cost?" So then, I get to reading all the bragging you guys do about your Sofriders and now I'm thinking I would be money ahead just to buy a Sofrider, and use my kit for building up fun bikes, kind of like what Jack has done. Maybe I'll do a Tiara, or a rigid frame, or.... The sky is the limit. So, because of you guys bragging up the Sofrider, I am once again figuring a way to scam, errr... save up the cash for a Sofrider.

I hate you guys. :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mark

mi7d1

I've got a Sofrider and I'm willing to trade. :!: (for a Silvio) :mrgreen:

P.S. I'll even split the shipping with you :D

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
mi7d1 wrote: I've got a Sofrider and I'm willing to trade. :!: (for a Silvio) :mrgreen:

Yeah, ummmmm..... No. Thanks, though! :D

I want my go fast weekend rocket and my commuter bike.

I'll just wait until the next "Ooh, looky, I can't ride this bike" poster comes along. I'll tell them I totally understand and offer them fifty bucks for it. :lol: :lol:

Mark

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
Mark,
why don't you put a rack on the Silvio and get a second pair of wheels with 700c x 38 tires at 80 psi for use during the week? Its a comfy enough bike for the commute right?

On the other hand of course, please, let me sell you a sofrider!

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
johntolhurst wrote: Mark,
why don't you put a rack on the Silvio and get a second pair of wheels with 700c x 38 tires at 80 psi for use during the week? Its a comfy enough bike for the commute right?

Absolutely it is comfy enough. The issue is, I want to keep my sports car a sports car. I don't want to have to clean and rebuild it every Friday night for the weekend rides. I have considered it, though, believe me. Some of the streets I have to ride to work are pretty rough and I like the robustness of 26" wheels for this duty. Also, where I work is a lot of concrete dust which gets on and in everything. I really do not want to subject my good bike to that.

I'll make do with my conversion until I can save up my pennies for a Sofrider. Who knows? By that time, I may have resolved all my issues and be happy as can be! Really, though, I would like to be able to tinker with the kit a little more and not worry about whether it's available and roadworthy to ride to work.

Mark

mi7d1

Oh well... my loss... :cry:

Mark B wrote:
mi7d1 wrote: I've got a Sofrider and I'm willing to trade. :!: (for a Silvio) :mrgreen:

Yeah, ummmmm..... No. Thanks, though! :D

I want my go fast weekend rocket and my commuter bike.

I'll just wait until the next "Ooh, looky, I can't ride this bike" poster comes along. I'll tell them I totally understand and offer them fifty bucks for it. :lol: :lol:

Mark

Kamatu

Heh, I could have already bought one of the used Sofriders with what I've spent on the kit bike (with some more expense to come). Of course, the bulk of the non-kit expenses has been in tools (mainly a Dremel, which I needed a new one since we cannot find our 15 year old one since the move) and fortunately, the wife grew up in a family of hands on tool people so that she immediately discounts tool purchases as capital expenses.

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
Yeah, I'm already kicking myself for passing on a couple of the used ones. OTOH, I rode my conversion today and it went pretty good. I think I'm getting it set, but it's still heavy as heck. Not much I can do about that except to continue lightening the engine. :roll:

Mark

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
johntolhurst wrote: You could probably drill out the frame, make it look like a girder truss. :D

ok .. that was just a joke thar boy.

If I did it just right, maybe my bike would whistle a happy tune for me! :lol: :lol:

Mark

Kamatu

I don't know, it is a bit of a tossup for me. I'd have missed out on some frustration, but I'd have also missed the fun of fiddling and learning.

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
Kamatu wrote: I don't know, it is a bit of a tossup for me. I'd have missed out on some frustration, but I'd have also missed the fun of fiddling and learning.

Absolutely.... I loved tinkering and building my bike. I intend to continue tinkering with it, but I'm not so sure I want to ride that 40+ pound behemoth on a daily basis. I'm not to riding on a daily basis yet, so it's fine. Even if and or when I get a Sofrider, I'll keep messing with the conversion kit. That, or maybe try a homebuilt/conversion hybrid, I don't know.

Mark