Installing the clickbox on the SRAM DualDrive

Jim Parker

Cruzbike, Inc. Director
Staff member
These are notes from the SRAM DualDrive user manual on how to install the clickbox.

1) the cable housing must be moveable inside the attachment.
2) place the thumb shift lever in the uphill riding mode.
3) push the clickbox button down.
4) push the clickbox to the stop on the hub axle.
5) bring the clickbox button back to initial setting by pushing it up from underneath the click box.

Jim

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
Quoting the assembly instructions

Quoting the assembly instructions, it says:
"Install the Dual Drive "Clickbox" onto the axle end and shifting pin, following the
instructions in the included SRAM Dual Drive II Manual. When pressing the pin to lock the unit on, it may help to press both the pin and the perch that goes under the
actuation pin, both are visible on the under side of the Clickbox"

If at the sime time, you press both the pin and the wee purch that has to slide under the head of the actuator pin, then it goes on easier. At least, was the only way I could do it.

rjs

SRAM manual

I also struggled with installing the dual drive. My instructions did say to look at the included SRAM manual, however, it wasn't included (with my quest 3.0 ). Anyway, the wheel is on and it works but it has a significant amount of wobble to it. Am I missing something? Somewhere else suggested that the hub needs a spacer, but I didn't receive one with my bike if it does.

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
http://cruzbike.com/quest
Scr

http://cruzbike.com/quest

Scroll down to downloads link, then grab the manual from there.

jwitten

User experience

I remove and install the Clickbox routinely and have found that this procedure is more easily done if you release the DualDrive shift-cable housing off of the lower braze-on. This completely releases the tension on the ClickBox Lever. When adjusted properly, the tension on the cable is minimal, and the housing is release from the braze-on with only a gentle pull. One must also ensure that the shifter is in the "Hill Climb" (most relaxed) setting to do this. (I also make note to install the ClickBox prior to installing the rear derailleur so that I am not having to slide it under the rear derailleur cable, which interferes a bit.)

With the cable loose, you are not fighting the tension on the internal lever while trying to attach the Clickbox. A quick study reveals that the push-button must be held DOWN while attaching the Clickbox to the screw-rod, so the internal lever will catch the screw-tip when it is positioned to the UP positioned. Without tension on the cable, you must physically push the button to the UP position, which will lock the Clickbox onto the screw. Once this is done, simply lift the cable housing back onto the lower braze-on.

As mentioned, I do this routinely while traveling with the Quest, and only once did the shifter require further adjustment. If I remember correctly, there was no adjustment dial on the end of the housing (such as on a brake lever), and I actually had to un-tighten the clamp screw on the end of the shift cable to loosen it slightly. (I could be wrong about this, but it seems that I made a mental note that it would be nice if there was a simple cable adjustment included. I don't have the Quest in front of me at the moment to verify this). What will happen if there is slightly too much tension is that the DualDrive will try to shift to the next higher gear while you are pedaling. The cable has too much tension to stay in the selected gear, but not enough to shift completely to the next gear. It is a similar sensation as having your rear derailleur slightly out of adjustment, when the chain is constantly trying to jump to the next sprocket, but not quite making it. This had me scratching my head for quite a while on the side of the road one day. I had the bike upside-down, trying to figure out what was causing the skipping. It finally occurred to me that it could be the DualDrive trying to skip to the next gear rather than the rear sprockets. I released a bit of tension on the DualDrive cable, and the problem was solved.

Hope this helps someone in the future?!?