Interesting Power Data From a Single Speed MTB Ride

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
A glimpse into why I may be such an oddity in the recumbent world when it comes to low cadence grinding up the mountains.

It's not often you get to see power data from a Single Speed ride. Not surprising how high the power is for those 10-20 second bursts. Avg cadence is pretty damn low because in my area you're either grinding or descending so really no chance for spinning. One crazy thing to note is if your typical climbing cadence on an 11 speed is say 80rpms then when you're grinding at 40rpms you're having to push twice as hard on the pedals because you're doing it half as often to make the same watts. This means 700 watts at 40rpms has you pushing on the pedals with the same force you'd normally see in a 1400w 80rpm sprint. Honestly when sprinting most people at above 100rpm so it's probably well over the force found in a 1500w sprint.

Good to see the belt hold up to these forces without any issues. I used to kill chainrings in about 400 miles on my old SS because the rollers in the chain would deform the valleys of the teeth. I wonder how long the belt will last under this abuse. I'm wondering now how best to monitor belt wear because it shouldn't stretch but the material is going to start giving over time.

https://www.strava.com/activities/5052917916/overview