internal gear hub ?

judoman

Do you know if I could use an internal-gear hub on the conversion kit?

I'm thinking of an 8-speed Sturmley Archer hub.

It has drum, rollar, and disk-brake options i believe.

Any advice?

thanks,
Charlie

JonB

Zen MBB Master
judoman wrote: Do you know if I could use an internal-gear hub on the conversion kit?
I have a Rohloff on my Freerider, it workes fine. I would fully expect it to work, since i can not imagine any donor bikes comming with road racing equipment, but with MTB which is the same width as internal gear hubs.

judoman

Thanks Jon. I imagine you had to use a chain-tensioner, yes?

And do you have the disc-brake model, or use rimbrakes?

JonB

Zen MBB Master
judoman wrote: Thanks Jon. I imagine you had to use a chain-tensioner, yes?

And do you have the disc-brake model, or use rimbrakes?
If you use the conversion kit, you have to use rimbrakes. My Cruzbike Freerider did come with disc-brake tabs and i do use them.

I do have a chain-tensioner. First i used the 2 wheeled derailure that came with the freerider but i have exchanged that for a single wheel to get higher efficiency and because the chain kept falling off. It no longer does that.

judoman

So you need the chain-tensioner eh? I was wondering if the sliding-tube portion of the front cruzbike triangle would let you dispense with the chain tensioner - doesn't shortening/lengthening get the chain at just the right tension?

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
The adjusting front boom does change the BB to rear axle length slightly - a few mm, but you need this set to your leg length - which is its intended purpose.

baov

I'm about to try putting a

I'm about to try putting a sturmey X-RD8 (w) on a conversion.
The issue i'm imagining right now is the shifter cable guide can only be pointed in certain directions, and with the chainstay moving relative to the dropout tabs there's a chance it'll be beyond where i can twist the cable guide. Not to mention i need to attach the torque arm of the drum brake to the chainstay also.

I've never used rohloff or nuvinci so i don't know how they work but from other threads i've seen people run the cables up the fork and i don't think i can do that with the sturmey. With a shimano nexus 8, i know there are multiple anti-rotation washers available for different angles, maybe i should have gone with that. Heck, maybe i'll have to switch it from my DF bike. I'll have to relace the two hubs, switch the 700c to 26" and the 26" to 700c, change chainring sizes, maybe change handlebars because of incompatible shifter sizes. Big hassle and not even sure if it's gonna work. *sigh*

Well, lets see if i can fit the sturmey first. Lots of people were toying with the idea but searched the forum and found no one who actually did it.

chrisblessing

IGH

The Nuvinci has an anti-rotation washer, allowing the cables to approach from any direction. It took several rotations for me to get it right. Yes, the cables run up the fork.

Jake

I had no issues fitting a

I had no issues fitting a ?Shimano Alfine 8 IGH into a conversion kit. You might get away without a chain tensioner because the conversion kit has horizontal dropouts that should allow correct tension somewhere along it's length.

I wouldn't worry too much about the approach angle of the gear cable, other than aesthetics. Maybe run the cable down via the bottom bracket and chainstay so the approach is similar to a regular bike.

Drum or roller brake should work, but a disk will not due the reversal of the forks.

The only issue I had was the wide gap between gears (particularly 5 & 6th ) on the Alfine 8. More noticable on a bent than a DF I feel. Somewhat mitigated with half step gearing - see signature link.

Jake