Introducing CBSV-090

Dano

Hello! I am the proud owner of the Silvio shown in the pictures. I purchased the Shimano Sora equipped Silvio from Nanda at Spincyclz last October. It was a pleasure to deal with Nanda throughout the transaction. I’ve owned recumbents for years, and my other bike is a Nazca Fuego lowracer which I use primarily for commuting and long-distance touring.

The learning curve wasn’t bad at all although I haven’t quite put on my Speedplay Frogs clipless pedals just yet. It has been a total pleasure to ride and I am very impressed. It always amazes me how responsive and dead quiet this bike is.

I’ve added a few items to it already. For commuting to work I was able to add a pannier rack without having to drill any holes and it is easily removed. The other ‘extras’ I’ve added are a B&M cyclestar mirror, Cygolite Milon headlight which I love, a rear Cateye TL-LD 1000, and a Sigma wireless computer which I was able to mount off the handlebars. I also added aluminum bottle cages – one of which holds my Cage rocket dry Spod which holds my tools, tubes, etc.

I have lots of questions but will wait to ask them in the near future.
Safe riding!
Dano

zivl3

Nice looking bike. I was hoping to demo that bike, but you bought it before I talked to Nanda. I ended up purchasing a Silvio through him too. Right now the rain is coming down sideways, so I haven't had a chance to really ride the bike yet. As soon as I get a chance to get it dialled in, I'll be trying to figure out how to carry stuff on the bike and would like to know more about the pannier rack. Which one did you use? How is it attached?

Thanks.

Dano

Thanks - and good luck with yours! I will take some pictures tonight to better explain but essentially it is held on to the bike by 3 plastic bike accessory clamps (marked CL-018) I had laying around. They are the perfect diamter to clamp down with enough pressure on to one rear chainstay and the rear 'fork'. I put a small diamter #8-32 1 3/4 inch bolt through the inside of each clamp, add plastic spacers, and attach the rack. It is rock-solid and can be removed in about 2 minutes. I am sure it can be done more professionally but with the exception of the rack I used essentially what I had laying around. All together about 7 ounces.

Nanda H.

Good to see 090 getting some real use Dano! I like the blue man crew color scheme :)

I hope you are putting too heavy a load in the side panniers.
http://www.cruzbike.com/component-selection.html ...look at the very bottom paragraph.

"Rear Carry Rack
The Old Man Mountain Sherpa front rack has been identified as a good candidate for the rear of the bike. The clamps are not required as Silvio has nutsets appropriately placed on the upper seat stays. Do not place more tha 5kg on the rack as it is attached to the seat stays and side to side forces can damage the suspension structure. For the same reason, avoid placing loadings (luggage) on one side, single pannier for example. Try to locate luggate above the wheel where it is in the body's wind shadow anyway."

So the Sora shifters are not too much of a bother...going over the top of the hoods to grab a gear? Any pix with the Fuego? What what a Cruzbike lower racer might look like? :)

Zivl3 has his SRAM Force Silvio built up and is making the final touches. I know he wants to do some fast commuting (tucking under headwinds) with a lite load on board.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Dano,
Is the higher seat position of the Silvio make it easier to balance compared to the Fuego?
Is the rolling resistance lower on the Silvio?
Can you use your arms more on the Silvio?
What is the direct steering on the Silvio like, compared to the Tiller steering on the Fuego

Regards

Super Slim

Dano

Nanda H. wrote: Good to see 090 getting some real use Dano! I like the blue man crew color scheme :)
Hello Nanda, and thanks! It may not be for everyone, but I already have one all-black bike and wanted a little variety!

I hope you are (not) putting too heavy a load in the side panniers.
Not too much. A 1-litre water bottle and a change of clothes when I commute to work. It needs some carrying capacity and I am not overly keen on putting a rack on it. The panniers are fairly small. It sounds like 5 or so pounds per side is the maximum capacity and I won't even approach that much

So the Sora shifters are not too much of a bother...going over the top of the hoods to grab a gear? Not really, I am able to go under using my thumbs.
Any pix with the Fuego? Not yet!
What what a Cruzbike lower racer might look like? :) Cool - no doubt!

Dano

Super Slim wrote: Dano,
Is the higher seat position of the Silvio make it easier to balance compared to the Fuego? Hello Super Slim, balancing either bike is about the same. It is easier to get on. It reminds me of a DF bike. I just lean it towards me, swing my leg over and I am on it...brought back good memories!
Is the rolling resistance lower on the Silvio? It seems that way. With 2 700x23 tires pumped up to 120 pounds it really glides.
Can you use your arms more on the Silvio? Yes indeed! It becomes very intuitive after you get used to it. I really only use them if I want to go fast very quickly or uphills. You don't even have to think about it. Speaking of hills, I am always amazed at how well the Silvio climbs. The Fuego climbed better than my Bachetta Strada, but this climbs better than my Fuego!
What is the direct steering on the Silvio like, compared to the Tiller steering on the Fuego It took a little getting used to but it feels natural, but then again I wasn't crazy about the tiller steering when I first got the Fuego.

Regards

Super Slim