Iron Horse Hillbilly

SamP

Guru
I'm considering an Iron Horse Hillbilly, unknown year, off of craigslist for a conversion. It's probably a high end department store bike or possibly an entry level bike-store bike. Bikepedia has an entry for the 2001 model year version. ( http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/BikeSpecs.aspx?year=2001&brand=Iron+Horse&model=Hillbilly#.UuxEI_ldWSo )
Here is the picture the owner sent me:

IMG_20140128_074405.jpg

Looks like the problems I'll have to work around include:

1. Need a stem adapter, the discussion about what kind confused me, I guess I need a threaded quill to ahead adapter?

2. Replacement seat post (or cut off the seat mount?)

3. The Bikepedia entry (on a likely different model year) says the front ?derailleur is clamp-on 35.0mm. Possibly it's a typo or doesn't apply to this model--I guess I'll just have to go and see the actual bike (bring measuring tape?).

Any comments or other issues to watch out for?

Thanks
Sam

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
 1. Yes, you'll need an ahead

1. Yes, you'll need an ahead adapter. No worries here.
2. Just buy a new seatpost (but yes, you probably could just cut it off).
3. Agreed, you'll have to wait and see.

Put some slicks on that puppy and I think you'll be good to go (assuming you're not, um, vertically challenged... :D

hurri47

That's a pretty tall frame,

That's a pretty tall frame, especially if you have any of the vertical challengement Charles alludes to. I'm 5' 10" tall, and my converted Cannondale Super V400, which is significantly lower, just barely allows me to put a foot down. Unless you're a really big guy, I'd keep looking.

Google a picture of a Gary Fisher Joshua for an example of a lower stepover height. The best candidates will mount the Cruzbike seat pan probably no higher than the top of the rear tire or the bottom of the headset.

-Dan

hurri47

If I ever stumble across a

If I ever stumble across a small frame Trek Y26 for next to no money, I'll be torn between converting it myself or just picking it up to hold for one of you guys.

UPDATE: I just searched Craigslist, and a guy fewer than 100 miles from me (he's in Chandler, Arizona) posted exactly that bike ten days ago for 150 usd! It's put up or shut up time for me - do I call him?

-Dan

SamP

Guru
I'm going to be checking it

I'm going to be checking it out tomorrow. On the other hand, I've found a Trek VRX 200 15" frame on eBay, if the Iron Horse proves to be a bust I'm inclined to bid. I just would have liked to be able to check it out in person.

1happyreader

zen/child method
value threshold

Hi, SamP

I don't want to dim your enthusiasm but a new Cruzbike V2K frameset is only $230

Your e-bay Trek VRX 200 with shipping is $230.

Tough choices.

SamP

Guru
Checked out two bikes today

A V2/K needs a pile of components to make up a complete bike, I'd guess hundreds of dollars for good quality components. However, I am keeping it in mind as it puts an upper limit on how much I'm willing to pay for a used donor bike.

I saw the Iron Horse Hillbilly, the standover height at the V is 28", which is about my inseam. I believe that's somewhat higher than desirable. I also got to see a Gary Fisher Joshua F4 Genesis in size large. The top bar on that was 27.5" which is better but probably still too high, I suspect a small frame would be good and a medium acceptable.

That eBay Trek VRX 200 in a 15" frame is sounding better and better.