It's here and it's: MAGIC!

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Have you ever wondered what would happen if you could breed a Cruzbike V20 FWD MBB recumbent with a Morciglio Arrowhead RWD recumbent? Well maybe you have not, but I did - partly because at the time I owned the only Arrowhead in existence, and a V20, and partly because I am just a little obsessed with speed.

V20

Dox0Qd4UkAzK5gYENHiJHsbebLv7eFPGlX80n-FLvH4NHW-lWSeZiwinB5AQtrsOkiiZSYVnfkIgTcSR1huWYFRZD1ywLP3IXti2SPNLg8IwcxN_wWuSLV8_ra5ouMi4rjIeNE2D

Arrowhead

heBfHSPFvUtoHcTUqxvvAt7itB40W2Q1HfSN-uvpbI7wia-GvuQyXsdmHERuNLFJQB_rMiPr5Wo97-_jhY22V5CXU2hEBliWpUM4BKzkK82XUAf3KS_XeqEgHW6R2dzebOGdscem

Well - we did it - and let me tell you, MAGIC happened - literally!

Introducing Magic:
"a carbon-fiber racing prototype built by John Morciglio in collaboration with Cruzbike".

For now, this is the "Ultimate - True Racing Recumbent" - bar none

2pv68L3KBAQ0kQ0f8F_M57bTSCs2yg4oFlj-81m2lMPLX1tqSikrvhz0hHkHcZYO5k1wM_HQnZ2XBuMobAUtsNyedg2zLVsBClvbyRJ7KZRf2TSAoI7tvV3nxhgBt_wMdldthUK6

V20 meets his little brother (or cousin) : Magic

I0CSiksNSmH58okhxqgow7nCMExr65gVht5BCZoPapYrCIweBl4iVsVnZ4ylRrgbpbTW0cL79xVX8MGlFdfd8t0PBXPg5H2IVq9CIRtd9gBu17EgGaS5aI8zYkTwnT2-ROjm81Ke

Magic and V20 side by side (with Magic’s seat at 20 degree angle)

Cz8UoSgZmAsE5iGxKdQxovnkQiBcdDfotcbaKQfKr3WP9k3q9D8R0HxLegrRSM7J8m5RhEklFRHfFYg6RNiV52BWwtvrPm7-i9xFPTk70LgKGk9-EQyzeNxXPL31M6xz4DQYBZA-

Now for the rest of the story: If you know me, you know my favorite all around recumbent is the Cruzbike V20. and I have ridden many bents, from Bachetta’s, to three different M5’s, 4 other Morciglio Carbon Fiber machine, including other proto-typo bents. I love the V20 for the ease of riding on normal roads, and plus it just looks super cool! The FWD/MBB platform makes it the very best all around bent in the world - in my book anyway! Most of the other RWD bents either have 1+ idlers to keep the chain off the front wheel, or chain interference, and even crank interference) if you are short like I am. The Arrowhead is just one of those RWD machines. Super aero, but with significant chain and crank interference and also very susceptible to windy conditions (even trucks passing) especially when you are going fast - (and when aren’t you). But it is fast. I was able to ride my fastest ever 10 mile Time Trial on the Arrowhead at 31.8mph at the Charlotte Motor Speeday. The Vendetta, while fast could only manage about 29.5 mph under the same power. This is simply due to its aerodynamic advantage. So, the Arrowhead was my choice for the track, and the Vendetta for everything else.

But if you know me, you know I am always searching for more speed, so I asked master Carbon Fiber Frame builder (John Morciglio) if he could build a super fast FWD/MBB based on the Cruzbike platform. He said he thought he could and whipped out a few design ideas. Look familiar?

DaA1uotusXkfvpDrV01PDOW8zEtwMbaNmr5_S08voovIgYOwgr4iSnJqE8CIRfiGOYDIp2QNXeCeLCTtFW8n6d2qI-BiCmjve4nWNSKcFTMlkzgvkY8Cjo7LhQPzgnEo969BkVBC

I said “cool” and asked him if he would be interested in collaborating with Cruzbike on the project. He said yes, so I got him in touch with Jim & Maria to hammer out the details. About a year later Jim, Maria and I have the first 2 proto-types. (There is a 3rd one out there somewhere, but I will that person chime in just in case he want to remain anonymous.)

Design criteria:

When working with John M on the initial design specs for this new MBB, I convinced him that for it to be appealing to the widest market that it would be best for to be as adjustable as possible. My ideas were to have the Bottom Bracket (BB), Handlebars (HB), and seat to all be very adjustable. John went one step farther and made his molds so he could put the rear dropout also in a variety of places, and also made the front fork to be able to accept a disc brake. Here are the specs of the bike and the adjustability areas and their limits:

• Weight: Base build about 26 pounds. (About 1 ½-2 pounds more than a V20 - Yes more!)
  • Wheelbase: Base build 52”, Rear dropout can be custom ordered up to 4-5” farther back for riders that are very tall with larger torsos. V20 is 45” for comparison sake.
  • BB to front edge of seat: This is adjustable from about 28”- 35” by placing the opening for the BB in a specific location of the front “nose” section.
  • BB to ground: This is also adjustable from about 18”-25” by placing the opening for the BB in a specific vertical location of the front “nose” section.
  • Seat: The seat can be infinitely positioned both horizontally and vertically to adjust for rider heights from 5’6” to 6’6” (mostly depending on the inseam requirements to the BB). This seat is also adjustable from nearly horizontal to at least 40 degrees. Anything over that it just looks odd and doesn’t really make sense
  • Handlebars: A handlebar bracket of either 1” or 1 ¼” can be slid into the adjustable steering tube. The tube of this bracket can easily be slid fore and afte for best fit.
  • Brakes: The front brake can be a disc or rim brake at this time. I suspect John could figure out how to mount a rear disc brake too, although it would probably require a new mold and might add additional cost.

Here is a great comparison of me on Magic, Arrowhead and V20

sESfemOAy5xX2q_Gtju2y-BhZJrizoDxwqyco4Le6_zB7OZHZ2sy_81cS7WOpGfiuGCSx1W4v_tugY2IsVzlmI9ktrxT__vOuUhfIbbeb8JQnns7rfvbVvvHDY06uZvbFIYL1-wB

First Impressions:
As always John Morciglio’s creations are ½ art, ½ bike. This one is no exception! You will want to hang it on your wall when you are not riding it.

First ride perceptions:
My first ride on my Magic was very interesting and slightly harrowing, partly because it was on a ¼ mile athletic track on a windy day with gunner bars. It was a mistake to ride Magic first with gunner-bars, but that is what I asked for so that is what John built for me and what I rode that first day. To make matters worse there were a lot of other people walking and playing around, so I had an audience as well and people & dogs to try and not run over. I was able to ride Magic, but if you have ever ridden a bent with gunner bars you know it takes a little getting used to. I was a little (Ok, maybe a lot) tentative and found it hard to keep a straight line with the wind blowing and the tight turns on the track.

Testing:
First testing day was Apr 11, 2019 on that ¼ mile athletic track. I tested Magic against the Arrowhead, my red V20 (with stubby HB) and my yellow V20 with fulldrop HB. Since it was windy and busy and my first ride on Magic, I limited my wattage to between 120-130watts. I also swapped out wheels, cranks, and pedals so each bike was as close to the other as possible.

Results: The Magic with the gunner bars was about 1mph faster than my yellow V20 with full drops. (21.6mph versus 20.6mph at about 130 watts) Obviously not an apples to apples test since Magic also has a 20 degree seat angle. It was also faster than the Arrowhead with gunners and same angle seat - so very promising. But the speeds were slow, so more testing obviously needed.

I have since then tested many different variations of Magic with gunnerbars, full drops, my signature short stubby handle, and also with seat angles that match the V20. I always used the same wheels, and cranks to keep things as even as possible. In most cases the Magic was faster than the V20. The more applied power and faster I tested the greater a difference there was as you would expect with a more aero-dynamic setup. The slower you go the less difference there is. I did not do any testing under 20mph, but I would say there is probably negligible difference when traveling at speeds below 17-18mph.

To date, I have tested on 11 different dates from Aprill 11th thru April 27. Mostly on a closed track where the conditions were easily controlled and duplicated. I started testing with 5 min laps, but some of those results were questionable, so I increased the laps to 5 miles instead. All my test results and comments can be seen on my google docs spreadsheet that can be accessed here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/19BoCpcKBJk7Ko1YCoc3HQamk0AH9MaRgGZhzrr7frFQ/edit?usp=sharing

Prior to getting this incredible machine from John Morciglio, Maria asked me answer a few questions about it (when compared to the V20) we were naturally going to be asked. Here are her questions and my answers:

How much will it weigh?
Mine with full drop handlebars came in at 26.8 pounds. About 1.2 lbs more than my Yellow V20 (using the same wheels, cranks, pedals). Even though it is Carbon Fiber, I believe it is the largeness of the front nose that adds the extra weight.

Will it climb fast?

The Magic climbs just as well as the V20 with similar handlebars and seat angle. I actually felt I could make power going up hills a tiny bit better. I think this was because I had a thin 1’4” seat cushion on the Magic and used my Ventist on my V20

Will it be faster than the V20?
In all my testing, the Magic has been faster than the V20, but how much depends on how you have each bike build out.and how much power you are using. Just like with the V20 and S40 everyone is different and will have different results, but generally speaking I believe the Magic is the fastest at racing speeds of over 20mph.

If so, why and under what circumstances?
  • Magic (14 degree seat) with gunnerbars is 1.7mph faster than V20 (with 20 degree seat) with full drops. - at 225 watts

• Magic (with 20 degree seat) with full drops is 1.3mph faster than V20 (with 20 degree seat) and full drops (little closer) - at 200 watts

• Magic (with 20 degree seat) with stubby handlebar is 0.3mph faster than V20 (with 20 degree seat) and stubby handlebars (much closer) - at 200 watts

Adjust-ability: does it adjust at all?
Yes - very much. Magic can be easily configured to allow riders from about 5'6" up to 6'6" to be fitted. These are the areas on the Magic that can be easily modified.

• Bottom bracket (horizontal and vertical spacing)
  • Handlebars (any set will work easily)
  • Seat (horiz & vertical),
  • Rear-drop for wheel, and
  • Brakes (front can be disc or rim)

How will having the handlebar flip up for maintenance impact performance and handling?
  • The handlebar has 4 screws that thread into the frame to hold the handlebar firm and in place while riding. Simply unscrew the “back” two screws and flip up to work on headset or fish brake cables.

• If you did not screw the 2 screws in and road the bike, the handlebar still slips down fairly tight onto the frame and as long as left in that position while riding it would not impact performance. (The only thing that I think is that if you rode like this and lifted it up while going fast, it would greatly change the steering input and that would not be good.

What is the actual seat back angle?
  • The seat angle is adjustable very easily. John will install it at whatever angle you want when he first builds it. He built mine at about 14 degrees.

• The seat can be adjusted from near horizontal to 40+ degrees by simply sliding it on its built in track and re-attaching at the angle you like (New holes may need to be drilled in the seat or frame to accommodate this, but easy to do).

• I very easily moved the seat from 14 to 20 degrees (to match the V20) for testing.

Note: The farther back you lay to horizontal the harder it is to make power, especially the longer you ride. You get better aero benefit, but it comes as the cost of not being able to push as hard on the pedals. This is particularly true for extended amounts of time >3 hours, but may improve with practice.

Is it a practical road bike?
  • I believe it is - but with a few limitations, some that already exist with the V20.

• Since it is lower than the V20 (about 6") it makes it a little less visible, so more care would need to be taken to be visible on regular roads. Lights, sirens, ext.

• The front end is also a little heavier, so if you ride it at 14 degree seat angle it also take a little while to adjust to it. After that it is fine.

• With full gunner bars, the bike is as figity as the Arrowhead, and I would probably only ride it on a track with that handlebar configuration.

• I would need a rear case designed for it like the V20 so it could carry fuel and supplies for long rides. (John is already working on something which will be available)

• There is nice storage in between the seat and the frame to carry tools and supplies for mechanical needs.

• This bike would probably not be super practical for steep climbs because it only has a single front chainring (no FD). I have not had a problem riding on slopes up to 14 % grade on a 50x28, but not for any extended length of time. There is a new 1x13 setup that promised to provide the same range as a 2x11 setup, which may change this.

Final notes:

I did most of my testing on a closed track, but the hill climbing and coast down testing were on open roads. I felt just as safe and maneuverable on the Magic as I do on the V20 and tried different handlebar configurations.

On April 20th, I finally took the Magic out for "normal" 32 mile ride on the open road down in Georgia. I felt just as comfortable on Magic as I did on the V20 riding these same roads. I had the seat at 20 degree angle for this ride, and it "felt " like an “old friend”!.

Will the Magic totally replace the V20 or the S40? I really doubt it. The V20 & S40 are still remarkably aero all on their own and very fast and agile especially with shorter wheelbases. In my humble opinion “Magic” is a “True Racing Recumbent” (borrowing from a current Cruzbike Thread that seems to talk most of M1 & M5’s) pure and simple. To me it is another bike in the herd, another tool in the toolbox! The Magic is much lower than either the V20 or S40 so a social machine it is not. When you ride it like it was made to be ridden (yeah - superfast), you probably will not be anywhere near anyone else anyway else to be social with anyway - well unless they are riding one too.

It is my understand that Cruzbike will not be producing these prototypes as part of their regular offerings on their web-site. If you are interested in one, you must contact John Morciglio for one. His email is (kmorciglio@comcast.net). I think after more people have them and more real life riding data can be gathered as to how they ride in longer and mountainous rides, then Cruzbike may start manufacturing and marketing them as they do all their other models. For now - it’s proto-type that anyone can own and ride!

Please also see Cruzbike's Blog post for more pictures and information.
https://cruzbike.com/blogs/blog/introducing-magic-carbon-fiber-front-wheel-drive-racing-recumbent

Extra stuff:

Here are some links to download a bunch more pics that show just about every aspect of Magic and it’s components and some videos that show how the seat and handlebars can be adjusted.

zip file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/c67655k9p9gms5o/Magic pics.zip?dl=0

360 degree video: https://www.dropbox.com/s/6qmzoocoa40x34i/Magic video 360.mp4?dl=0

Handlebar up-down video: https://www.dropbox.com/s/tv1yw0nlcmw1z81/Magic handlebar video1.mp4?dl=0

Seat removal video: https://www.dropbox.com/s/2czqtdkf4saquiq/Magic seat video.mp4?dl=0

Q & A:
As usual, I will be happy to answer any questions you may have. If private, please email me at larryoslund@gmail.com. If general, post them on this thread and I will get to them as soon as I can. I will also continue updating my testing spreadsheet as I do more testing.

Last edited:

Opik

Holy Bike!!!

didn't JM make the Hammerhead which was FWD MBB? What's different? Didn't you at one point own it?

cpml123

Zen MBB Master
Have you ever wondered what would happen if you could breed a Cruzbike V20 FWD MBB recumbent with a Morciglio Arrowhead RWD recumbent? Well maybe you have not, but I did - partly because at the time I owned the only Arrowhead in existence, and a V20, and partly because I am just a little obsessed with speed.

V20

Dox0Qd4UkAzK5gYENHiJHsbebLv7eFPGlX80n-FLvH4NHW-lWSeZiwinB5AQtrsOkiiZSYVnfkIgTcSR1huWYFRZD1ywLP3IXti2SPNLg8IwcxN_wWuSLV8_ra5ouMi4rjIeNE2D

Arrowhead

heBfHSPFvUtoHcTUqxvvAt7itB40W2Q1HfSN-uvpbI7wia-GvuQyXsdmHERuNLFJQB_rMiPr5Wo97-_jhY22V5CXU2hEBliWpUM4BKzkK82XUAf3KS_XeqEgHW6R2dzebOGdscem

Well - we did it - and let me tell you, MAGIC happened - literally!

Introducing Magic:
"a carbon-fiber racing prototype built by John Morciglio in collaboration with Cruzbike".

For now, this is the "Ultimate - True Racing Recumbent" - bar none

2pv68L3KBAQ0kQ0f8F_M57bTSCs2yg4oFlj-81m2lMPLX1tqSikrvhz0hHkHcZYO5k1wM_HQnZ2XBuMobAUtsNyedg2zLVsBClvbyRJ7KZRf2TSAoI7tvV3nxhgBt_wMdldthUK6

V20 meets his little brother (or cousin) : Magic

I0CSiksNSmH58okhxqgow7nCMExr65gVht5BCZoPapYrCIweBl4iVsVnZ4ylRrgbpbTW0cL79xVX8MGlFdfd8t0PBXPg5H2IVq9CIRtd9gBu17EgGaS5aI8zYkTwnT2-ROjm81Ke

Magic and V20 side by side (with Magic’s seat at 20 degree angle)

Cz8UoSgZmAsE5iGxKdQxovnkQiBcdDfotcbaKQfKr3WP9k3q9D8R0HxLegrRSM7J8m5RhEklFRHfFYg6RNiV52BWwtvrPm7-i9xFPTk70LgKGk9-EQyzeNxXPL31M6xz4DQYBZA-

Now for the rest of the story: If you know me, you know my favorite all around recumbent is the Cruzbike V20. and I have ridden many bents, from Bachetta’s, to three different M5’s, 4 other Morciglio Carbon Fiber machine, including other proto-typo bents. I love the V20 for the ease of riding on normal roads, and plus it just looks super cool! The FWD/MBB platform makes it the very best all around bent in the world - in my book anyway! Most of the other RWD bents either have 1+ idlers to keep the chain off the front wheel, or chain interference, and even crank interference) if you are short like I am. The Arrowhead is just one of those RWD machines. Super aero, but with significant chain and crank interference and also very susceptible to windy conditions (even trucks passing) especially when you are going fast - (and when aren’t you). But it is fast. I was able to ride my fastest ever 10 mile Time Trial on the Arrowhead at 31.8mph at the Charlotte Motor Speeday. The Vendetta, while fast could only manage about 29.5 mph under the same power. This is simply due to its aerodynamic advantage. So, the Arrowhead was my choice for the track, and the Vendetta for everything else.

But if you know me, you know I am always searching for more speed, so I asked master Carbon Fiber Frame builder (John Morciglio) if he could build a super fast FWD/MBB based on the Cruzbike platform. He said he thought he could and whipped out a few design ideas. Look familiar?

DaA1uotusXkfvpDrV01PDOW8zEtwMbaNmr5_S08voovIgYOwgr4iSnJqE8CIRfiGOYDIp2QNXeCeLCTtFW8n6d2qI-BiCmjve4nWNSKcFTMlkzgvkY8Cjo7LhQPzgnEo969BkVBC

I said “cool” and asked him if he would be interested in collaborating with Cruzbike on the project. He said yes, so I got him in touch with Jim & Maria to hammer out the details. About a year later Jim, Maria and I have the first 2 proto-types. (There is a 3rd one out there somewhere, but I will that person chime in just in case he want to remain anonymous.)

Design criteria:

When working with John M on the initial design specs for this new MBB, I convinced him that for it to be appealing to the widest market that it would be best for to be as adjustable as possible. My ideas were to have the Bottom Bracket (BB), Handlebars (HB), and seat to all be very adjustable. John went one step farther and made his molds so he could put the rear dropout also in a variety of places, and also made the front fork to be able to accept a disc brake. Here are the specs of the bike and the adjustability areas and their limits:

• Weight: Base build about 26 pounds. (About 1 ½-2 pounds more than a V20 - Yes more!)
  • Wheelbase: Base build 52”, Rear dropout can be custom ordered up to 4-5” farther back for riders that are very tall with larger torsos. V20 is 45” for comparison sake.
  • BB to front edge of seat: This is adjustable from about 28”- 35” by placing the opening for the BB in a specific location of the front “nose” section.
  • BB to ground: This is also adjustable from about 18”-25” by placing the opening for the BB in a specific vertical location of the front “nose” section.
  • Seat: The seat can be infinitely positioned both horizontally and vertically to adjust for rider heights from 5’6” to 6’6” (mostly depending on the inseam requirements to the BB). This seat is also adjustable from nearly horizontal to at least 40 degrees. Anything over that it just looks odd and doesn’t really make sense
  • Handlebars: A handlebar bracket of either 1” or 1 ¼” can be slid into the adjustable steering tube. The tube of this bracket can easily be slid fore and afte for best fit.
  • Brakes: The front brake can be a disc or rim brake at this time. I suspect John could figure out how to mount a rear disc brake too, although it would probably require a new mold and might add additional cost.

Here is a great comparison of me on Magic, Arrowhead and V20

sESfemOAy5xX2q_Gtju2y-BhZJrizoDxwqyco4Le6_zB7OZHZ2sy_81cS7WOpGfiuGCSx1W4v_tugY2IsVzlmI9ktrxT__vOuUhfIbbeb8JQnns7rfvbVvvHDY06uZvbFIYL1-wB

First Impressions:
As always John Morciglio’s creations are ½ art, ½ bike. This one is no exception! You will want to hang it on your wall when you are not riding it.

First ride perceptions:
My first ride on my Magic was very interesting and slightly harrowing, partly because it was on a ¼ mile athletic track on a windy day with gunner bars. It was a mistake to ride Magic first with gunner-bars, but that is what I asked for so that is what John built for me and what I rode that first day. To make matters worse there were a lot of other people walking and playing around, so I had an audience as well and people & dogs to try and not run over. I was able to ride Magic, but if you have ever ridden a bent with gunner bars you know it takes a little getting used to. I was a little (Ok, maybe a lot) tentative and found it hard to keep a straight line with the wind blowing and the tight turns on the track.

Testing:
First testing day was Apr 11, 2019 on that ¼ mile athletic track. I tested Magic against the Arrowhead, my red V20 (with stubby HB) and my yellow V20 with fulldrop HB. Since it was windy and busy and my first ride on Magic, I limited my wattage to between 120-130watts. I also swapped out wheels, cranks, and pedals so each bike was as close to the other as possible.

Results: The Magic with the gunner bars was about 1mph faster than my yellow V20 with full drops. (21.6mph versus 20.6mph at about 130 watts) Obviously not an apples to apples test since Magic also has a 20 degree seat angle. It was also faster than the Arrowhead with gunners and same angle seat - so very promising. But the speeds were slow, so more testing obviously needed.

I have since then tested many different variations of Magic with gunnerbars, full drops, my signature short stubby handle, and also with seat angles that match the V20. I always used the same wheels, and cranks to keep things as even as possible. In most cases the Magic was faster than the V20. The more applied power and faster I tested the greater a difference there was as you would expect with a more aero-dynamic setup. The slower you go the less difference there is. I did not do any testing under 20mph, but I would say there is probably negligible difference when traveling at speeds below 17-18mph.

To date, I have tested on 11 different dates from Aprill 11th thru April 27. Mostly on a closed track where the conditions were easily controlled and duplicated. I started testing with 5 min laps, but some of those results were questionable, so I increased the laps to 5 miles instead. All my test results and comments can be seen on my google docs spreadsheet that can be accessed here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/19BoCpcKBJk7Ko1YCoc3HQamk0AH9MaRgGZhzrr7frFQ/edit?usp=sharing

Prior to getting this incredible machine from John Morciglio, Maria asked me answer a few questions about it (when compared to the V20) we were naturally going to be asked. Here are her questions and my answers:

How much will it weigh?
Mine with full drop handlebars came in at 26.8 pounds. About 1.2 lbs more than my Yellow V20 (using the same wheels, cranks, pedals). Even though it is Carbon Fiber, I believe it is the largeness of the front nose that adds the extra weight.

Will it climb fast?

The Magic climbs just as well as the V20 with similar handlebars and seat angle. I actually felt I could make power going up hills a tiny bit better. I think this was because I had a thin 1’4” seat cushion on the Magic and used my Ventist on my V20

In all my testing, the Magic has been faster than the V20, but how much depends on how you have each bike build out.and how much power you are using. Just like with the V20 and S40 everyone is different and will have different results, but generally speaking I believe the Magic is the fastest at racing speeds of over 20mph.

If so, why and under what circumstances?
  • Magic (14 degree seat) with gunnerbars is 1.7mph faster than V20 (with 20 degree seat) with full drops. - at 225 watts

• Magic (with 20 degree seat) with full drops is 1.3mph faster than V20 (with 20 degree seat) and full drops (little closer) - at 200 watts

• Magic (with 20 degree seat) with stubby handlebar is 0.3mph faster than V20 (with 20 degree seat) and stubby handlebars (much closer) - at 200 watts

Adjust-ability: does it adjust at all?
Yes - very much. Magic can be easily configured to allow riders from about 5'6" up to 6'6" to be fitted. These are the areas on the Magic that can be easily modified.

• Bottom bracket (horizontal and vertical spacing)
  • Handlebars (any set will work easily)
  • Seat (horiz & vertical),
  • Rear-drop for wheel, and
  • Brakes (front can be disc or rim)

How will having the handlebar flip up for maintenance impact performance and handling?
  • The handlebar has 4 screws that thread into the frame to hold the handlebar firm and in place while riding. Simply unscrew the “back” two screws and flip up to work on headset or fish brake cables.

• If you did not screw the 2 screws in and road the bike, the handlebar still slips down fairly tight onto the frame and as long as left in that position while riding it would not impact performance. (The only thing that I think is that if you rode like this and lifted it up while going fast, it would greatly change the steering input and that would not be good.

What is the actual seat back angle?
  • The seat angle is adjustable very easily. John will install it at whatever angle you want when he first builds it. He built mine at about 14 degrees.

• The seat can be adjusted from near horizontal to 40+ degrees by simply sliding it on its built in track and re-attaching at the angle you like (New holes may need to be drilled in the seat or frame to accommodate this, but easy to do).

• I very easily moved the seat from 14 to 20 degrees (to match the V20) for testing.

Note: The farther back you lay to horizontal the harder it is to make power, especially the longer you ride. You get better aero benefit, but it comes as the cost of not being able to push as hard on the pedals. This is particularly true for extended amounts of time >3 hours, but may improve with practice.

Is it a practical road bike?
  • I believe it is - but with a few limitations, some that already exist with the V20.

• Since it is lower than the V20 (about 6") it makes it a little less visible, so more care would need to be taken to be visible on regular roads. Lights, sirens, ext.

• The front end is also a little heavier, so if you ride it at 14 degree seat angle it also take a little while to adjust to it. After that it is fine.

• With full gunner bars, the bike is as figity as the Arrowhead, and I would probably only ride it on a track with that handlebar configuration.

• I would need a rear case designed for it like the V20 so it could carry fuel and supplies for long rides. (John is already working on something which will be available)

• There is nice storage in between the seat and the frame to carry tools and supplies for mechanical needs.

• This bike would probably not be super practical for steep climbs because it only has a single front chainring (no FD). I have not had a problem riding on slopes up to 14 % grade on a 50x28, but not for any extended length of time. There is a new 1x13 setup that promised to provide the same range as a 2x11 setup, which may change this.

Final notes:

I did most of my testing on a closed track, but the hill climbing and coast down testing were on open roads. I felt just as safe and maneuverable on the Magic as I do on the V20 and tried different handlebar configurations.

On April 20th, I finally took the Magic out for "normal" 32 mile ride on the open road down in Georgia. I felt just as comfortable on Magic as I did on the V20 riding these same roads. I had the seat at 20 degree angle for this ride, and it "felt " like an “old friend”!.

Will the Magic totally replace the V20 or the S40? I really doubt it. The V20 & S40 are still remarkably aero all on their own and very fast and agile especially with shorter wheelbases. In my humble opinion “Magic” is a “True Racing Recumbent” (borrowing from a current Cruzbike Thread that seems to talk most of M1 & M5’s) pure and simple. To me it is another bike in the herd, another tool in the toolbox! The Magic is much lower than either the V20 or S40 so a social machine it is not. When you ride it like it was made to be ridden (yeah - superfast), you probably will not be anywhere near anyone else anyway else to be social with anyway - well unless they are riding one too.

It is my understand that Cruzbike will not be producing these prototypes as part of their regular offerings on their web-site. If you are interested in one, you must contact John Morciglio for one. His email is (kmorciglio@comcast.net). I think after more people have them and more real life riding data can be gathered as to how they ride in longer and mountainous rides, then Cruzbike may start manufacturing and marketing them as they do all their other models. For now - it’s proto-type that anyone can own and ride!

Please also see Cruzbike's Blog post for more pictures and information.
https://cruzbike.com/blogs/blog/introducing-magic-carbon-fiber-front-wheel-drive-racing-recumbent

Extra stuff:

Here are some links to download a bunch more pics that show just about every aspect of Magic and it’s components and some videos that show how the seat and handlebars can be adjusted.

zip file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/c67655k9p9gms5o/Magic pics.zip?dl=0

360 degree video: https://www.dropbox.com/s/6qmzoocoa40x34i/Magic video 360.mp4?dl=0

Handlebar up-down video: https://www.dropbox.com/s/tv1yw0nlcmw1z81/Magic handlebar video1.mp4?dl=0

Seat removal video: https://www.dropbox.com/s/2czqtdkf4saquiq/Magic seat video.mp4?dl=0

Q & A:
As usual, I will be happy to answer any questions you may have. If private, please email me at larryoslund@gmail.com. If general, post them on this thread and I will get to them as soon as I can. I will also continue updating my testing spreadsheet as I do more testing.

Other than the bike, the deck looked really nice, too!

jond

Zen MBB Master
Gosh Larry. Terrific write up testimony to your incredible passion.

As ever thorough and dedicated.

Seems like rhinoplasty may save some weight.

But I love big noses and wide drop bars.

Congratulations good sir on a dream realised. Well done to all concerned.

Thanks for sharing. Speed man. I mean magic man.

How your wife puts up with you is beyond thought.

Pleased as punch for you.

Slay em in the aisle

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
What jond said. Rhinoplasty would not increase turbulence very much. I think it is most important in streamlining to stop turbulence at the back, where the air comes back together. But rhinoplasty would spoil the looks. It is the best looking Morciglio ever. It would be a shame to make it look like a rhino.

LarryOz

Other than the bike, the deck looked really nice, too!
Thanks - Yeah that is Brazilian Mahogany - 1100sq. ft of it. Took me a month to build it. The wood is 3 times denser than oak, so dense it will not even absorb moisture. Pretty much lasts forever. You cannot even nail a nail into it. You must drill first. I bisket-join all the boards together.

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
I am surprised that it was not faster.

Looks quite amazing! If it were me i would reduce the front fairing so it wasnt so rhino looking and perhaps widened the faring at the back of the seat to keep the cda lower.

Love the 5 spoked wheel on the v20. Like for like... if your v20 had more of a horizontal boom and the gap filled between boom crank and front wheel... the v20 would still be faster.

Cost however i guess is quite different between the magic and v20.

Interested in what the modulo of the carbon is? T800 perhaps?

Last edited:

ed72

Zen MBB Master

I am still pouring over the data and lusting over the pictures but CP6 Testing shows your red V20 to be faster than Magic at 20 degrees with the Stubby bars on 4 out of 5 runs. I don't think this is fluke. Did you retest?

Just looked quickly but it seems 14 degrees with normal bars is no different than with 20 degrees with normal bars but Magic with 14 degree seat with either stubby or gunners significantly lowered CdA, presumably a combination of frontal area reduction and probably bringing the elbows in...? In other words, your arm position might be far superior at 14 degrees with either stubby or gunners but NOT with normal bars.

Air density Rho (kg/m3) changes from cool early spring morning to warm summer PM might explain 0.2-0.4 mph differences in the same setups. Or, slight cross winds can also do it. The varying conditions make it hard to evaluate.

Do you think Magic's front fairing might make a front disc unnecessary or in other words, slower than a 60mm or 80mm front rim wheel?

Which bike (and bars and wheels) would you have ridden at Sebring this year had you had them all in the paddock??

ed72

Zen MBB Master
The Rhino nose adds a huge benefit aerowise to the top of the front wheel.

I would not get rid of it. Plus, I doubt there would be any difference between a 40 mm rim and 80mm rim with that fairing....or, I'd call it a rain fender.

If I could carry rain gear, some tools, and a 3L bladder somewhere.......oh man, what a machine....I'd be all in. Ability to lower the BB. That is killer.

I wonder the leadtime.

ed72

Zen MBB Master
I like the 52 inch wheel base!!....getting close to 55 inches gets tricky crossing askew, wet standard gage rail tracks....two contact patches at once on wet steel....trust me, not a good idea.

3bs

whereabouts unknown
what fun it has been to watch this project evolve. much faster than my experiments. lots of interesting overlap.

when you look at all of the bikes larry has displayed, one can see the various conflicting needs in the quest for speed, comfort and versatility, and the compromises. if one were to put up a few more of JM's bikes and Bram's, and perhaps giving the nod as well to zockra, the common threads become obvious.

adding in the adjustability to the magic was key. even with the thoughtfulness of the present build, i think we can expect some evolution.

one can also see some evolution opportunities with the v20, and other CB, some of which i have been playing with.

big props to Larry, jim and maria, and JM! thank you all for your work on this and many other projects.

LarryOz

Is that a Kent Polk seat on Magic?
Nope - That is John's stock seat - I have already starting doing tweaks that is making it faster. Dropped the seat a full inch straight down for 14 degree angle. Cutting out the top of the seat for one that is above my shoulders.
I am working on my own custom seat to wrap my shoulders and have plans for a huge "fender" that will cover the rear wheel from top to skewer - that also has room for supplies and bottles and bladders.
John has already made a large rear fender- just not in production yet. Will surely make it faster yet: Only problem is that part of it would be about 3" above my shoulder. (Had the same issue with the M1 chain stays)
Magic fender.jpeg

I tried a full covered front disk on one of my test runs and it was slower. But the disc also did not fit very well, so going to try at a later time.
I am riding with only 10" stubby now - my Red V20 has 12", which I actually think is more aero as it put my hands more behind my legs. That is next up on the testing calendar.
Yes - some of the testing data needs repeated when not so windy, but the more samples you collect the better. I am still waiting for a nice windless morning - Hard to find in April in the south!

ed72

Zen MBB Master
Thanks Larry.

I suspect the front fender or nose cone would aid in stability in cross winds because it would make it very unlikely for the front wheel to stall, irrespective of the type of wheel. Could be wrong of course.....but very interested in your take on Magic after some road miles in gusty conditions with traffic. Going really fast, stalling of the front wheel is less likely but when it does......look out depending where the null or vortex is located with respect to the center of the steering axis. I think the nose job on Magic has to help there.

It is windy and cold up in NJ, too. I haven't tested anything. Gusts were 40-50 mph on a 200k the other day. THAT was fun on the M5.

ed72

Zen MBB Master
Nope - That is John's stock seat - I have already starting doing tweaks that is making it faster. Dropped the seat a full inch straight down for 14 degree angle. Cutting out the top of the seat for one that is above my shoulders.
I am working on my own custom seat to wrap my shoulders and have plans for a huge "fender" that will cover the rear wheel from top to skewer - that also has room for supplies and bottles and bladders.
John has already made a large rear fender- just not in production yet. Will surely make it faster yet: Only problem is that part of it would be about 3" above my shoulder. (Had the same issue with the M1 chain stays)
View attachment 7797

I tried a full covered front disk on one of my test runs and it was slower. But the disc also did not fit very well, so going to try at a later time.
I am riding with only 10" stubby now - my Red V20 has 12", which I actually think is more aero as it put my hands more behind my legs. That is next up on the testing calendar.
Yes - some of the testing data needs repeated when not so windy, but the more samples you collect the better. I am still waiting for a nice windless morning - Hard to find in April in the south!

Interesting that this Magic with the TriSpoke wheel doesn't have a left front chainstay and has rim brakes. Maybe there is the 4th prototype out there. Someday.....someone will be searching for that holy grail bike. The missing Magic.

LarryOz

Interesting that this Magic with the TriSpoke wheel doesn't have a left front chainstay and has rim brakes. Maybe there is the 4th prototype out there. Someday.....someone will be searching for that holy grail bike. The missing Magic.
When John originally built the first "4" front ends, non of them had left or right chain stays. I did not really want them, He added them for extra strength for people like Kyle and Jason who can push 1200 watts. It looked really cooler without them. This one you are referring to is his (with only right chainstay) - Not sure why he did not put the left one on.