Just purchased a conversion kit...

Dave Taylor

Hi just purchased a cruzbike conversion kit (cheap!) already attached to a cheap small hardtail mountain bike, I already own a sofrider which I converted to be an ebike a year ago (which I love!) but is now very heavy to lift with all my accessories! My new bike feels like it a third of the weight of my sofrider. Bought it for several reasons:- local hack bike, to ride round my favorite local trail (very rutted and muddy this time of the year (don't like having to hose the thick mud off my sofrider every other day). Also will make life easier if I want to take it on the train. A lot of train stations here in the UK have steps to go up and down... Also hoping to use it to experiment on different bikes as well as I like the idea of a folding cruzbike. cruzbikes.JPG

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
I had great fun on mine... wait until you progress... there are plenty of OMG moments on the way. Happy New Year

Dave Taylor

Made a few changes on my cruzbike conversion since last post.. gone from triple ring to a lightweight shimano single ring and cranks (so now a 7 speed) front end feels a lot lighter, changed handlebars from a straightbar to something more sofrider like! Added a topeak beam rack and bag, changed knobbly tires to my old Sofrider Kenda Kwests and finally mirrors and trip computer. I had all these items lying about so the changes have cost me zero so far! The bike currently weighs less than 20 kg (weight includes the bag with a heavy lock, tablet phone and a few tools in.. so should be a few kgs less than that ) haven't got the seat exactly where I want it yet but its getting there! It feels very similar to my e-sofrider now but a lot lighter !cruzblu.jpg

benphyr

Guru-me-not
@Dave Taylor,
You have obviously got the Cruzbike thing down pat and your tweaks all look impressive. I wonder about how vertical you have the seat? I find more laid back is more comfortable - you would probably need to reverse the stem towards you and probably lower the stem down if you were to go that route. I love the colour of the donor bike. Did you do that or did it come that way? Mine is very similar. You can see a picture of it in my avatar to the left. Also, full fenders on front an back are lovely when it is wet out...

benphyr

Guru-me-not
They were made by Cruzbike way back when Cruzbike was young as a cheap way to get into cruzbiking using a Y frame mountain bike but since Y frames aren’t made anymore the last kits were discontinued a few years ago. They do come up for sale now and the on the buy and sell here, bentrideronline and places like craigslist.
Much more often you will find Sofrider, Quest, or QX100 models available for good prices on the buy and sell.

(I have both a kit bike like the one shown and a QX100 and they both work great. They won’t appeal to those who want the newest, fanciest or best components however. For those check out the main Cruzbike site. Heck, go there to drool regardless.)

The new models are gorgeous.

Luqman Radzuan

They were made by Cruzbike way back when Cruzbike was young as a cheap way to get into cruzbiking using a Y frame mountain bike but since Y frames aren’t made anymore the last kits were discontinued a few years ago. They do come up for sale now and the on the buy and sell here, bentrideronline and places like craigslist.
Much more often you will find Sofrider, Quest, or QX100 models available for good prices on the buy and sell.

(I have both a kit bike like the one shown and a QX100 and they both work great. They won’t appeal to those who want the newest, fanciest or best components however. For those check out the main Cruzbike site. Heck, go there to drool regardless.)

The new models are gorgeous.
Thanks for the info benphyr. I really appreciate it.