Late season 150 miler

CruzLike

Guru
Last Saturday was an outstanding day in Indiana. For early November, a sunny day with near record highs were to be spend outside. My plans for the day were to work around the house on some projects. Not really maximizing outdoor exposure.

The night before I had passing thoughts to go on a mega bike ride. My bike was on the trainer and had seen little time outside this year. Covid shut down most rides. This ride I had planned would almost double my outdoor rides this year. Saturday rolled around and I felt I missed an opportunity. Saturday night I began thinking about my Sunday ride in earnest. The weather was going to be a repeat and I had no other reason not to go.

Sunday morning, I took the bike off the trainer, assembled all my gear and by 8 o’clock I was rolling down the road.

First stop, Richmond. This was about 55 miles away straight east. The route I was familiar with. It is the last third of the RAIN (Ride Across INdiana). It has been a couple of years since I rode this route. Riding the hills was like seeing some old friends. Maybe the kind that jab you or tease you when they display their love. The sun was low in the sky moving off to my right. A little different path then I see in the summer. The wind was mostly out of the south and little from the east at about 7. Not much help.

I made it to Richmond without issue. I wanted to get a bite at the Jim Hortons. As I rolled by, the sign had been taken down and no cars in the parking lot. I guess they went back to Canada. Bummer Ah.

After consulting my phone to figure out how to get from one familiar side of town to the other part of town I knew. I was at the trail head of the next leg of the journey. I just needed some water. I topped off, called my wife to share my progress.

Just a little before 11 I started the leg on the Cardinal Trail. It is one of the premier trails in Indiana. It’s 50 miles long and I planned to see the other end.

Near 1:30 I made it to Muncie. Big town with restaurants. I still needed a little nutrition for my belly.

About 45 minutes later I was back on the trail heading NW. This was a nice direction. I enjoyed seeing the leaves on the trail blowing the direction I was going. A fortunate wind. In town my progress was slow. This old train track went diagonal through town. I was glad to see the farm fields to know that I was out of town with fewer cross streets.

I made it to the end of the trail. This also signaled a change in direction. That fortunate wind was now at my left when heading west and, in my face, heading south. Which was much of the remaining ride.

This new segment of the ride was 30 miles across roads I was not familiar with. Without stopping I adjusted my Elemnt to display a map and route. While on the route some of the rough roads forced me to lift my head off the headrest. My head had either swollen to twice it’s size or my neck muscles were tiring. I was at the 100 miles into the ride and I opted for the tired muscles. I was a little concerned with that thought because I was still a long way from home and loosing energy.

I followed the route to Frankton. Home of my daughter, son-in-law and grandson. Unfortunately, they were not home. They were out enjoying the day like myself. I was able to top off my water bottles and rest a little. (that was the “G” rated version)

At 5 I was leaving their house. I called my wife, told her of my progress. I told here I would be home around 7 and I was turning off my phone to spare my low battery.

Shortly after leaving town, while in the open farm fields, I noticed the sun was lower to the horizon than I hoped. Most of this leg to my house was south. Straight into the dying headwind. I was able to cruise around 20mph. I made good progress, but the fleeting light was concerning. After 7 miles I thought I would stop, call my wife and plan to meet somewhere. I started my phone. I called Lisa and the phone died, black screen. I tried again with no luck.

By now the sun was below the horizon. I had a red back light but no front light. My only solution was to GO. It finally got to a point that I could not see the road good enough to avoid any bumps or holes. In the couple last miles before a town, I rode down into a valley at 30+ mph. It was a little harrowing. Down the hill, wind in my face and a car coming at me blinding me with the glare from its lights. I was on a mission, also I needed some speed to get up the other side.

I made it into town of Ingalls. This is where I needed to enact plan “ET”. For all you young punks, In the movie “ET” The main character needed to “phone home” Back to the ride. As I rode past homes, I was looking for someone outside. No such luck. I made it to main street and the Dollar General was open. I was able to call Lisa and have her come pick me up.

I ended up logging 147 miles. I was a bruised because I ended the ride in the dark, 14 miles short of my home. I guess I have not fully adjusted the standard time. The hour of daylight in the morning before I started I would have loved to use, now.

I averaged 18.5 mph while moving. It's ok for a mere mortal. (I'm in average shape) Just had too many stops on a short daylight day. Maybe next year I can complete this ride.

https://www.strava.com/activities/4317950845

Last edited:

ed72

Zen MBB Master
Really enjoyed the read, thanks for sharing.

Brought back memories as a kid living north of boston. I'd set off early and as long as I was back by dinner, it was good. Mom asked me one day how far I went. I said Winchester. "Wow, that is almost to Boston"......little did she know I meant Winchester NH over by the Vermont border.

CruzLike

Guru
Wow @ed72 That was some ride for a kid. I did my first century just a few years back. I'm sure that is not as flat as my ride. Kudo's
upload_2020-11-10_19-25-31.png

paco1961

Zen MBB Master
Nice ride. I had a similar but less ambitious and organized ride. Told my wife I was heading out for a few loops around the parks in town. And honest, that was my plan. Had just tweaked a few bike bits and planned a short shake down loop. But the sun was bright and the winds fair. 79 miles later I rolled up the driveway to a familiar look. Fortunately she can track my Element signal so knew that I wasn’t in a ditch on the side of the road. Unfortunately, nobody had raked the leaves or painted the shutters while I was gone . . .

mpayne

Nice ride. I had a similar but less ambitious and organized ride. Told my wife I was heading out for a few loops around the parks in town. And honest, that was my plan. Had just tweaked a few bike bits and planned a short shake down loop. But the sun was bright and the winds fair. 79 miles later I rolled up the driveway to a familiar look. Fortunately she can track my Element signal so knew that I wasn’t in a ditch on the side of the road. Unfortunately, nobody had raked the leaves or painted the shutters while I was gone . . .
I avoid “the look” nowadays by having my wife ride with me. She now has an e-bike and we’re able to ride together for about as far as either of us choose to. This past Saturday 56 miles on rollers and into headwinds, but a great ride in any event. I didn’t have to worry about painting shutters or raking leaves .

The Brook

I had a somewhat shorter ride than that yesterday, about 80 KM's, or for those metrically challenged, 50 miles.

It was a record warm day in Montreal, almost no wind, temp up to 73F. , and my bad hip wasn't bothering me much, so at about 10:00 I got on my Freerider and just headed west on the Lachine Canal bike path. then rode west on Lakeshore Boulevard to St-Anne de Bellevue. I stopped for a quick bite there, and since my hip was still feeling pretty good, I then turned north on Senneville road to Cap St-Jacques, then east on Gouin Boulevard. Stopped at a local corner store to fill up my water bottles, marveling at the unbelievable weather. This was the second time in my life that I was able to ride in short sleeves and bike shorts into November, the first was on Sunday when it got up to the upper 60's, Montreal has never been in the 70's in November before.

I then turned south on Marcel Laurin to near the Decarie Circle, then used some back roads to avoid the brutal traffic in that area, and got back home at around 2:30 PM. My average speed while riding was around 15 MPH, not great but I was happy.

Considering I wasn't in mid-summer shape, due to having some days where I could not ride, or cut off my rides because of hip discomfort, I was happily surprised at how much I was able to ride yesterday. It helps that my ride was quite flat, with only 1 short but steep hill on Senneville road, but my hip surgeon told me that riding my bike was a good idea while waiting for my surgery as long as it was not painful, and for the most part, I could ride around 12-15 miles per day, some days able to put out a good amount of power, other days, it was a Get out and Smell the roses type of ride.

I paid a small price for that ride, my left hip was quite stiff in the evening, I had to take a long hot bath, and even then it was achy .

Now, If we could just get this COVID thing under control so that hospitals can restart Elective Surgery again, I can get this hip replacement done sometime this winter, and be ready to get back riding in the Spring.

The warm weather will continue for another day here, but it will be rainy for most of the day. Then a cold front moves in, with tomorrow getting only up to a max of 50F. I hope to be able to ride for another month before the snow starts flying here.

I wish a good remainder of the season to those members in Norther Climes, and great rides for those in warmer areas,

Regards,
Denis

ed72

Zen MBB Master
Wow @ed72 That was some ride for a kid. I did my first century just a few years back. I'm sure that is not as flat as my ride. Kudo's
View attachment 10381

Pretty close, good sleuthing. I went rt 62 and then North of Lowell onto rt 113 and eventually rt 119 into NH IIRC. Probably 150 miles all in. I was used to doing double loops caddying, so, the endurance was good. There is a certain excitement setting off on a long journey with no set plan. Go to another country like France without a map and just go (stay on D routes and it is a blast).

The Brook

Are we talking golf or something completely different? Is that 36 holes of dragging a bag around?

When I caddied in the early 70's (I know, I'm getting older), that's what we called it, Carrying one bag on the shoulder for 1 golfer, and pulling a cart with the second golfer's bag.

It was great to build endurance, walking 36 holes daily, and it paid pretty well for someone 15 years of age when I started ($4.oo per bag, paid cash, tax free, made 16 dollars a day). Minimum wage for anything else was about $1.00/hour back then, taxable.

Also, in those days, the only way to get there was by bicycle, about 10 miles each way. There were days when the ride back was pretty hard, as I was tired after the 36 holes caddied that day

ed72

Zen MBB Master
Two bags for 36 holes. I think walking with 40 pounds on your back is great for endurance. Certainly better than playing video games like kids do nowadays. Money was pretty good. I think minimum wage was $1.60 per hour. A caddy rate was 5 bucks per bag. I usually got 6 bucks per bag except Doc Spaghetti would give me a cut of the action, usually go 7-10 from him. So, about twice minimum wage. Nowadays, caddies around here get 80-120 per bag and they drive BMWs.