Learning my S-30

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
You’re quite a bit ahead of me! 35 miles at nearly 15 mph, you’re slaying it!!!

It’s been pouring rain much of the past few weeks here in Tacoma, and I have yet to fit the bike with fenders (good excuse). I’m bored of the parking lot and don’t feel like loading up the bike, so I’ve made a few excursions into a local housing development. There’s smooth pavement, less traffic, and some modest climbs. Wet leaves often cause me to slip and wobble. I haven’t felt brave enough to make the switch to clip ins…BUT- by keeping the sessions short and focusing on climbing the smallish hills, I am gaining more confidence in my control. And my legs are sore, which oddly, I missed. A few more sessions, and then I’ve got Five Mile Drive in Point Defiance in my sights.
Keep track where the legs are sore. Upper or lower... more lower then you are pulling more with your cleats forward. By centering the cleats you will reduce lower leg soreness

chicorider

Zen MBB Master
Hi @Robert C. I don't want to hurry your process, but these bikes are noticeably easier to handle when your feet are clipped in, which gives you more control over the front end and the steering. Put another way, some of your wobbles could be because you aren't clipped in. I started with one-sided Shimano rod pedals. Those were a pain because I had to fiddle and search for the engagement point. Once I switched to double-sided Shimano SPD pedals, it became much easier. I know it might counterintuitive, but being clipped in should help your confidence. If things get dodgy (obstacles, dog walkers, tight lanes) unclip your dominant leg (the one you put down at stops), coast through, then clip back in and keep going. Unclipping the dominant leg will give you reassurance while keeping the other leg clipped in will help you keep control over the front end of the bike. Eventually, you won't even need to do that.

benphyr

Guru-me-not
+1. Clipped in makes it easier by removing the “trying to keep your feet on the pedals” from the equation. But you wouldn’t have been able to convince me of that before I was ready to try it for myself. But within seconds it changed to “Why didn’t I do that earlier?”

Edit: Applies to those already comfortable with clipping out. As @Robert Holler points out below, learning to ride is not the time to learn to unclip.

Last edited:

Robert Holler

Administrator
Staff member
I agree that clipping in makes riding much easier. The reason I don't recommend it "right away" for most people (on ANY recumbent 2-wheeler not just a Cruzbike) is that they tend to not understand clipping OUT safely. So adding yet another thing to learn proves too much for many. Watching someone clip in and then ride off and style in 15 feet and tip over like a sailboat out of water - cringe. LOL

Best to learn to ride on platforms, then when you clip in you will be smooooooth with that circle. Smooth is the key. If I had a dollar for every rider who hopped on and tried to mash the pedals with alternate 400watt "strokes" like their legs are giant pistons and then complain about the front end "wobbling" I could retire. If you can ride no hands with the platforms and then clip in - the level of power you can transfer is insane.

This is the way.

Robert C

Good suggestions all…I’m probably close. It does remind me of the first time I clipped in on a DF back in ‘91. Went one block then tipped over sideways on a busy street in Washington DC.
On the plus side I won’t have as far to fall.
But the paint job on my S-30 is sooo pristine and I don’t heal as quickly as I used to.

PS I have since become comfortable with the cleats on a DF…so hopefully, this bodes well.

Last edited:

Robert C

Trip report. You were all correct! Clipping in made me feel more stable- much more attached to the bike. And yes, I did crash once. The bike is fine. My arm was sore for a couple of days. While I was familiar with unclipping from a DF- the angle is different and there was no muscle memory. Now having more fun on level and slightly hilly surfaces- not ready to tackle anything steep.