Locking Cruzbike's

macool

Ready to buy my first Cruzbike!!!,... was curious, what are the best ways for locking this bike up while on the rode? ie. You are out for a day ride and stop for rest or lunch, etc. and need to leave bike. Thanks for the advice!

billyk

Guru
Locking a Quest

I use a U-lock through the space between the rear shock and the swingarm joint. It's not enough for leaving the bike for a long time in unattended locations, because a 6mm plus a 10mm allen wrench can dismantle the swingarm (if you know how to do it), but it keeps amateurs stymied. My lock also has a 1-meter heavy cable with loops at both end that can secure the wheels to the U. Also there are lots of ways to damage the bike if someone has time: seat cushions, seat (I relaced the thumbscrews with plain allen screws to keep someone from just walking off with the seat), etc. Basically there's no good way to lock the bike up for a long time outside.

kling

locking Cruzbikes

Hi Macool,

Good to hear you will soon be riding a Cruzbike of your own.

Locking point depends on the model, as BillyK has identified.

Security wise
Silvio- under the seat is a welded closed D (other sections can be disassembled)
Vendetta- rear triangle is welded.
Quest- due to the foldable nature, hard to fully secure.
Sofrider- welded section below the seat and rear triangle.

However for (front) wheel flop control and convenience (can be hard to get close enough to a pole with the Cruzbike seat- for the Sivlio), I tend to lock through the front wheel, unless in a very dodgy location.

As some roadies have pointed out, (presumably on expectations of resaleability, likely escape velocity and the recumbent factor), a Cruzbike amongst other unsecured bikes is unlikely to be the first to be stolen.

Lock selection
Mounting a lock is part of the equation.
Silvio: ABUS Bordo (mounted on back of the seat), waiting for TigrLock (titanium loop lock) to arrive.
Quest: Kryptonite Evolution Mini (mounted onto seat post)

Cheers
Kendrick

TimOz

Hi Kling,
Thanks for pointing

Hi Kling,
Thanks for pointing me to the Tigr lock. Locks like an elegant and light locking solution. I just emailed them to ask them to STOP USING INCHES as the only unit of measurement. I am never sure how many thumbs long my bike is. Ddecimal on the other hand make far mlore sense to non-US humans.

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
Masterlock

I found this masterlock (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009V1WQQ/ref=oh_o00_s00_i00_details) and it works quite well. I find it much easier to use to lock up a bike than a U-lock. The handcuffs are large enough to go around what I want it to and also small enough that you could probably lock a bike without it having a closed loop on the bike. It's heavy (not so good), but comes with $3500 warrenty if bike is stolen because of lock failure.

Cheers,
Charles

kling

Tigr Lock has arrived

My long awaited TigrLock has arrived (Kickstarter crowd sourced project)

Impressions: Very nicely finished, minimalist look. Light

Titanium bow, though long enough to lock both front and back wheel on a DF frame bike, is 173grams.
Total weight (for the 2cm width lock band and locking barrel) is 316 grams :)

A little tricky to lock the barrel onto the bow but I think that will improve with practice.

Currently mounting the lock along the backrest, placing the locked barrel into a uncapped drink bottle in the bottle cage, with the upper end of the bow supported by a loop on the Northface pouch that was already mounted.

IMG_3395.jpg

alt="TigrLock Carrying configuration"
IMG_3400.jpg

Cheers
Kendrick

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
Hi,
I can't tell from the

Hi,

I can't tell from the Silvio pictures, but how is the front triangle mounted to the fork? If it's only screwed on (like the Sofrider) then, well, you have a problem if you are trying to use it to lock the bike.

In general, I'd recommend the Masterlock cuff lock or U lock under the seat. The cuff lock opening is small enough that I think you couldn't get it off even if the seat is taken off.

Cheers,
Charles

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
I don't do locks.  I park my

I don't do locks. I park my bike where I can keep an eye on it. If anybody tries to ride it away, I can saunter out, take my frame pump off and whack em over the head with it, since they probably will still be figuring out how to even get on it.

Mark

kling

Tigr Lock : down the track

Have used the Tigr Lock for a few weeks. Prefer it to my previous various U-locks.
Long enough to make it feasible to lock through the welded closed D under the Silvio seat.

Mostly use the Silvio for commuting, so a lock means I can pop into the shops etc on the way home and still have something to return to :)

Cruz on.

Kendrick

Doug Huffman

Locking against a joyrider or a knowing bike thief?

It'd almost be worth it to watch a joyrider try a Cruzbike. Contrarywise, locks will not deter a knowledgable thief. We lock our bikes together against the opportunist bagging my wife's Bike Friday.

leakyduck

Locking my bike

Mark said "I don't do locks. I park my bike where I can keep an eye on it. If anybody tries to ride it away, I can saunter out, take my frame pump off and whack em over the head with it, since they probably will still be figuring out how to even get on it."

I usually don't lock my bike, I just tie my 50 lb dog to the bike.