Longer Stem for Softrider Handlebar Kit

JimParsons

Hi, I have been riding my Green FSR Cruzbike conversion since last fall, but I wanted to get more room for my knees, since I am 6' 4" tall. I ordered the Softrider Handlebar Kit, but I can see that the Stem is not long enough. I have been looking for a Tandem Stoker Stem extension. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks, Jim Parsons

JimParsons

Hi John, Oops, I may have meant Freerider. The piece in the kit moves from 7 inches to 8.5 inches from the center of each hole. I think that I could use several more inches (15 - 20")? The stretch from where the Stem attaches to the outer sleeve of the top slider up thru the handlebars, to where my hands are ideally positioned is quite a bit more than the present set can reach.

JimParsons

pagetuner

Re: Longer Stem

Jim:
Take a look at http://flickr.com/photos/farsightful/sets/72157603789823657/ and see some of the permutations my conversion kit has been through. You'll be able to see that at one point I was using a black stoker stem, as you have planned. Then I went to a black stoker stem base with a somewhat longer chrome stem in it, which allowed the apehanger bars to be somewhat more horizontal. Then, still looking for more kneeroom, I gave up on the freerider look, and used a very tall chrome stem, direct into the headset*, and cruiser handlebars that run out horizontal and then come down outside my knees. The sofrider setup is my current setup, and I prefer it both for knee clearance and for substantially reduced weight out front, since the apehanger bars and the stoker stem were all steel. See ebay item 180261234382 for a nice aluminum bar much like the one I am using now.

Let me know if there are specific new photos or dimensions I could take that would help you.

Bill K.

* I have a threaded headset on my bike, so some of the pieces I used wouldn't work for you.