Look Ma! No Hands!

Lief

Guru Schmuru
After nearly 2800 miles on my AllBlack Silvio (CBSV-086) I finally made it past the "hurdle" (mental?) of the feeling that I would wipe out letting go.
I have tried a handful of times (pardon the pun) over the past 500 miles with only slight successes but last night, at the end of my commute, I gave it another go.

And away I went.

It seems to be easier, at this point, to always be on the power just a little bit so a slight uphill is ideal in 34/19 or 34/21. I did coast down the incline a little bit but it took a bit more "concentration".

I was so happy that I broke out my iPhone and took a video to prove it to friends and family that don't think they could ever ride this bike. (not attached)

If I can ride it WITHOUT hands then they could surely learn to make it go WITH hands.

Next, I wanna try the same thing I saw on one of those early Cruzbike videos showing somebody starting from a dead stop without hands.

BTW, this is a bit of a parlor trick but I think it will extend some "intelligence" to my legs that will, over the long haul, reduce some of the strain on my forearms/inner-elbow area.
You see, I switched from the Gary Bars to a more aero straight-drop set of bars. I nipped off the last 3-4 inches and mostly ride near the bend, close to the drops with my arms nearly fully extended. Similar to Maria's setup on the yellow bike on her record setting ride. I'd be lyin' if I didn't say I got the idea from there.
I might try reversing the spacers and lowering the steering tube and extending it a bit closer to help but...

After about an hour of hard riding with this setup I start to get very stiff, and somewhat painful, inner-forearms.
I will keep the aero setup for my racing committment in Portland in May but then likely switch back to the Gary bars for the 100 and 160 milers I have planned later in the summer.

UNLESS...this whole riding with no hands trick reduces that stress. :)