Loose Headset on Quest

eocbiker

I have a loose Headset on my Quest 3.0

I push the top and bottom bearing races together and then tighten the top clamp bolt, but it still loose.

What is the proper way to tighten the headset so I can get it tighter so it not loose ?

Robert Holler

Administrator
Staff member
This post will get you there.

This post will get you there. The key is to loosen the headset bolt all the way before tightening the riser clamp.

http://cruzbike.com/mysteries-diatech-headset

Robert

eocbiker

Parts Decription

The key is to loosen the headset bolt all the way before tightening the riser clamp.

On the diagram of the headset the parts are

steerer Tube
Top Clamp
Clamp Bolt
Bevel Race

Is the headset bolt the clamp bolt and the riser clamp the Top Clamp?

jphipps

Headset loose?

Ecobiker,

I have posted a procedure for righting the headset using a jig that I invented, look in the quest forum and you will find the info. The headset is hard to tighten because the steerer extension tube is a press-on fit and would be better, in my opinion, if it were a threaded connection. When you try to take the play out of the headset (pre-load) the steerer extension wants to separate from the steerer tube and results in extra play in the bearings.

Hope that helps,

jphipps

eocbiker

Diatech_Headset

Diatech Headset Assembly Instructions

Thanks for all the help and the
Diatech Headset Assembly Instructions
I follow the assembly instructions and now I have no slop, it it is tight and still have easy movement.
They should give you the Headset Assembly instruction when you first get you bike.
Because I think the Headset was loose from the factory.
I notice some slop when I first got it.
Now I have it fix.
Thank you ,This forum is one of the best things about Cruz Bikes

Robert Holler

Administrator
Staff member
The headset instructions are

The headset instructions are now a part of the instructions that come with the bike. We added it at the end.

Robert

Robert Biegler

As far as I can tell, I do

As far as I can tell, I do follow those instructions. Loosen the clamp around the cone, loosen the stem, tie bungee between fork and handlebar to compress, tighten stem, tighten clamp. That's the only way I have found to get the slop out of the headset, but for progressively shorter periods. Last Sunday I tightened up, rode 20km, and noticed about 5mm movement measured at the handlebar. I am getting to the point where I should tighten every day. Any advice?

Gromit

Guru
Remove the quick release toggles

I would remove the aluminium quick release toggles and just replace their steel barrel nuts instead. Replace the allen bolts with some cap-headed stainless steel M6 allen bolts. 25mm long excluding the head. These should take a larger 5mm allen (hex) key and have a much deeper socket than the existing dome-headed bolts which take a 4mm key and have a shallow socket.

Last edited: