Mangled rear derailluer

cycleguy

Hi All...

Haven't been on in a while, but wanted to share this... I got on my Silvio for a 24 mile ride tonight...and I did one revolution of the pedals, and somehow the rear derailluer got sucked up into the frame and was destroyed! The cage was mangled, the idler gear popped out and the aluminum hanger tore....thank god I have an extra Silvio hanger... not even sur ewhen I got it... Iam riding in a 50 mile ride in Boston this week for the "Bike Boston" event...and the local BS guy can get a new derailluer installed in time.. so I am good.. but now I want to get another spare hanger!

Harold

IMG_0592.JPG

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
spare hanger included

Hi Harold,
We provide a spare hanger for exactly this reason. Drop us a line at sales@cruzbike.com and we'll get another spare organised for you.
John

cycleguy

thanks!

Great.. just shot off an email.... i thought i was the only one but the shop guy said this is actually pretty common...

Thanks
Harold

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
Thanks for the picture. Its

Thanks for the picture. Its nice to know that the hanger tore open before any part of the frame was damaged - means its doing its job properly. The likely initiating event is a sideways wave in the chain as it enters the derailleur, it then catches on one of the sprokets by chance and allows the RD to be rotated backwards. This happened on a friends RWD bent one day that had no mid roller for the return chainline. Moments before, I could see the chain swinging sideways. Causes: not enough b-screw on the RD; chain becoming old and able to bend sideways more; and just bad luck.