Mark's Bike

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
My bike is very much a work in progress. It began life as a Pacific Mtb that was rescued from a police auction. It had seen it's better days. Apparently, somewhere along the line, somebody had removed the 26 " fork and front wheel, then replaced them with 24". The fork weighed a metric crapton, anyway, so a friend of mine donated a decent, older, Rockshox fork with the air conversion kit installed.

I basically threw away every component that was on the bike when I got it. Everything was pretty much junk parts, anyway. I am currently running a Shimano 105 road triple on the front with 52/42/30 chainrings. On the back, I am running a Deore changer shifting over a SRAM mtb casssette, wide ratio, but I cannot tell you the gearing off the top of my head. Shifting is handled via a pair of Shimano Bar end shifters mounted on Paul Thumbies. Brakes and levers are Performance Forte v-brakes. The Paul Thumbies, brakes and levers are the only new parts on the bike. Everything else is cannabalized off other bikes or donated to the cause by friends. The handlebar is an Azonic riser mtb bike bar that is mounted backwards and flipped forward.

As you can tell by the pictures, the frame is rough sanded and needs paint. I primed the swingarm because it's steel. I didn't worry about the aluminum section too much. I was going to tear it back down for paint, but am now having too much fun riding it. So, final paint will probably wait until I get my Silvio and get it up and running. I found out we have a bead blaster at work, so I will be taking it down to bare metal. I was going to do a rattle can paint job, but found I have a friend that paints and I have considered having it powder coated. I have time to decide. In the meantime, it's going to look like it does.

I'm pretty happy with the way it rides. People that have looked at it and ridden it have generally been positive about it.
IMG_0690.jpg

IMG_0691.jpg

Gromit

Guru
Strange place for a water bottle bracket. Wouldn't it be better to use the holes in the seat back? Perhaps you don't use the bracket to house a water bottle? Lighting set battery?

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
Gromit wrote: Strange place for a water bottle bracket. Wouldn't it be better to use the holes in the seat back? Perhaps you don't use the bracket to house a water bottle? Lighting set battery?

You know.... When I first started riding the bike and my jaunts were taking me farther and farther from home, I just wanted to be able to carry water. Those bosses were there and I didn't want to fuss with rounding up nylok nuts and such, so I threw the cage on right there. Of course, I had to stop to drink, but it was OK for short term. I have an old Camelbak Mule that I have set up to work on the seatback, now, so that cage is just on there for.... conversation, I guess! :oops:

Mark

Gromit

Guru
Conversation starter? Well that worked. ;)

Perhaps you could attach a propstand to the frame bosses instead? :p

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
Gromit wrote: Perhaps you could attach a propstand to the frame bosses instead? :p
Nah, I'm a leaner. Kickstands always have a way of getting in the way IMHO. ;)

Mark