May I remove the tab which holds the kickstand?

Vargas

May I remove the tab which holds the kickstand at the Sofrider swing arm, or is it part of the swing arm structure and removing it might cause a failure?

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
Huh.
I would assume you could

Huh.

I would assume you could remove it, but it is a good question to ask.

If I may, why do you want to remove it?

Cheers,
Charles

Vargas

I am trying to fit my SR in a

I am trying to fit my SR in a suitcase. Without this tab I think I can fold the swing arm downwards (opposite to Quest which is upwards). But didn't try it yet.
I have a big suitcase where the 26" wheels without the tires fit. Now it is a matter of pushing the rest inside :).
Yes, I know, my fault, I should have bought a Quest...

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
Yes, I know, my fault, I

Yes, I know, my fault, I should have bought a Quest...

I completely disagree with this statement! :D (Not that I don't think the Quest, particularly 451, is cool!)

Make sure you take pictures of what you end up doing.

Andrew 1973

Zen MBB Master
Non Cruzbike Swingarm?

I wonder if you could obtain a swingarm from a suspended MTB that would readily fit the Sofrider? That way you could attempt the frame surgery without risking damage to your bike.

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
I think it's a little iffy...

If it were a steel swingarm, I wouldn't be too concerned.

It's aluminum, and that cross-plate adds rigidity. Aluminum structures don't distort much before they fail.

To Andrew's point, if your bike is a Sofrider V1, there are steel swing arms out there that can fit. If it 's a V2 or later, the swingarm is vertically shorter to allow reduced seat height, and it's difficult to find one where the post won't hit the seat post section of the frame and align the shock properly..

My $0.02.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
It only takes 5 minutes to

It only takes 5 minutes to remove the rear suspension and fit it all into a box
see attached photos.

This was a trial fit with pedals still attached.

Super Slim

Vargas

Removing the tab doesn't help

Before the tab, there is the old BB holder. It prevents the swing arm from folding forwards.
I'd have to remove the swing arm, no big deal as super slim says.
Another issue is the fork. Mine is a 100mm travel suspension fork, what makes it quite long. Here I have two options, remove it or remove the springs and retract it to make it shorter.
Of course this will only be done when I have a long trip where the duration and destination justifies it.