Mongoose Beast as a Donor Bike

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
Hi,
My first concern is seat

Hi,

My first concern is seat height. You want your inseam + 3 or 4 inches. My second concern is that the conversion kit assumes the rear wheel is wider than the front, and I'm not sure that's true here. Third, and my biggest concern is that the wheel is too fat for the chainstays of the conversion kit. This last concern is probably a deal breaker...

tumblr_mke9ceWenf1rlaqyno1_500.jpg

But if it's not...

I am not convinced that really fat tires will make the bike more stable. It will make it more fun to ride on the beach and in the snow. I'm also a little worried about the lack of gears (you can't stand on a recumbent like you can on a DF bike).

So, it wouldn't be my first choice, but IF it works, it might be a very fun choice for some stranger situations (snow and beach riding come to mind).

Cheers,
Charles

Ian Smith

Wheels

Those wheels are WAAAAYYYYY too wide for the conversion kit to fit. The normal 1.5 - 2.0 width 26" wheelsets you get on everyday MTBs or even a bike with 700C 25s should fit ok. Wider than the MTB tyre and you're pushing a very large and sloppy load up a steep hill. As for the width, wider is only better for a couple of reasons; 1. soft road capability (i.e. sand, snow etc) and 2. slight comfort improvements. If you're on pavement then a bike with rear suspension is preferred and with that you install high pressure road tyres to get the rolling resistance down.

ps A donor with an A-head steerer and straight(ish) forks is a desirable bonus.

cassiel007

Thanks

Thanks Charles and Ian,
My concern was if the conversion kit could accommodate the tires. I figured I'd ask the experts before buying a crazy bike. I'm planning buy the conversion kit next month. I've really enjoyed reading the posts in the forums. Its one of the reasons why I decided go with the conversion kit rather than buy recumbent bike.

Thanks again
Paul