Moose Pack sand bag

TransAm

OK, here's a weird one. I've been having trouble with the Moose Pack V20 Frame Pack. It's been rubbing against my 30mm tires, and it's been getting progressively worse. So I finally took the seat off to get the bag off to try to fix the problem.

I noticed that the side of the bag nearest the tire seemed to be very thick. Then I noticed there was a hole in the seam near the top. It turned out that the bag had been collecting sand off the tire and storing it between the inner and outer wall of the bag. Here's what I recovered after pouring out the sand:
Moose Pack.png

I know stuff happens, but why does it always happen to me?

Gary123

Zen MBB Master
OK, here's a weird one. I've been having trouble with the Moose Pack V20 Frame Pack. It's been rubbing against my 30mm tires, and it's been getting progressively worse. So I finally took the seat off to get the bag off to try to fix the problem.

I noticed that the side of the bag nearest the tire seemed to be very thick. Then I noticed there was a hole in the seam near the top. It turned out that the bag had been collecting sand off the tire and storing it between the inner and outer wall of the bag. Here's what I recovered after pouring out the sand:
View attachment 14528

I know stuff happens, but why does it always happen to me?
So you were sandbagging. I'm going to check my moose pack.

TransAm

I should add that I was using the original V20 Moose Pack on the V20c. There is a new shorter V20c Moose Pack redesign, but this doesn't work for me, because the rear mounting tabs are too long, so they rub on my 30c tires. Here is a pic of the two side-by-side:

20230318_095045.jpg

Obviously the new V20c version is on the left, and my beat-up original version is on the right. I have modified the rear velcro mounting tab on the original Moose Pack to a 0.25"/6mm eyelet/grommet, similar to the new Moose Pack 8mm mounting tabs, to get more tire clearance to the bag. But I made the tab smaller so it does not rub on the 30c tire. I have also folded the nose of the bag to fit inside the new lower seat stay to hydroformed tube lug on the V20c to take up the excess length.

I have not decided whether to stick with the original style bag on my V20c, or to rework the mounting tabs on the new bag to get more tire clearance. But if you have the original bag on the original V20, you may want to try the new mounting tab method to secure the bag, rather than the original velcro strap around the brake bridge. The 6mm grommets should be available at any craft store. Just fold the velcro tab back on itself and punch a 1/4" hole, then set the grommet in the hole. Secure to the frame with a 6mm bolt and washer on top and a brake nut below.

TransAm

Wow - when did the V20C bag come out? I was waiting for them, but never heard a thing....
Yes, I just saw that there was a choice field on the product page that allowed you to choose either the V20 or V20C version for purchase.

Andreas

I should add that I was using the original V20 Moose Pack on the V20c. There is a new shorter V20c Moose Pack redesign, but this doesn't work for me, because the rear mounting tabs are too long, so they rub on my 30c tires. Here is a pic of the two side-by-side:

View attachment 14562

Obviously the new V20c version is on the left, and my beat-up original version is on the right. I have modified the rear velcro mounting tab on the original Moose Pack to a 0.25"/6mm eyelet/grommet, similar to the new Moose Pack 8mm mounting tabs, to get more tire clearance to the bag. But I made the tab smaller so it does not rub on the 30c tire. I have also folded the nose of the bag to fit inside the new lower seat stay to hydroformed tube lug on the V20c to take up the excess length.

I have not decided whether to stick with the original style bag on my V20c, or to rework the mounting tabs on the new bag to get more tire clearance. But if you have the original bag on the original V20, you may want to try the new mounting tab method to secure the bag, rather than the original velcro strap around the brake bridge. The 6mm grommets should be available at any craft store. Just fold the velcro tab back on itself and punch a 1/4" hole, then set the grommet in the hole. Secure to the frame with a 6mm bolt and washer on top and a brake nut below.
I'm currently putting together a few parts for my V20 to order from Cruzbike, the Moose pack is also an option.

As I read above, for a while there was a choice between V20 and V20c.
Now only one is offered, with the addition "works for both".
It is titled V20c, but the product image looks more like the old version.

Since the frames are different, I'm afraid that it will fit "perfectly" into the V20c triangle, but only "okay" into the V20.
And my current solution with a top tube bag in there is also “okay”, so I wouldn’t need to upgrade.

Can someone show me what the currently available version looks like in a V20?

In return, I offer an anti-rub tip:
I cut a short piece out of a crumbled SKS mudguard, punched two holes and fastened it between the two brake bridges with cable ties.
Holds great, only weighs a few grams and protects the bag perfectly.

Randyc3

Yes, I just saw that there was a choice field on the product page that allowed you to choose either the V20 or V20C version for purchase.
I'm currently putting together a few parts for my V20 to order from Cruzbike, the Moose pack is also an option.

Since the frames are different, I'm afraid that it will fit "perfectly" into the V20c triangle, but only "okay" into the V20.
And my current solution with a top tube bag in there is also “okay”, so I wouldn’t need to upgrade.

I cut a short piece out of a crumbled SKS mudguard, punched two holes and fastened it between the two brake bridges with cable ties.
Hi,
Made an underframe storage box for my S40 then moved it over to my v20c. I might be willing to part with it if there is interest. Would give me a reason to redesign it for a full carbon/kevlar version. I’m running 32mm tires now without any rubbing issues.
Cheers and safe riding.

Attachments

• IMG_2809.jpeg
    IMG_2809.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_2810.jpeg
    IMG_2810.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 20

Robertas

Hi,
I installed bag from V20 to V20C.

Attachments

• Ie6tCzYX3sxHb3HpzCafllh_AYjNSmtNSreb-wJiYL0-2048x1536.jpg
    Ie6tCzYX3sxHb3HpzCafllh_AYjNSmtNSreb-wJiYL0-2048x1536.jpg
    436.5 KB · Views: 19

Andreas

Thanks @Robertas
You swapped your beautiful stealthy V20 for a bright red V20c?
So the old bag fits into the new frame, the question still remains as to how the new bag fits into my V20.
It's not by chance that you feel like selling me your bag and getting a V20c bag ;-)

Robertas

Thanks @Robertas
You swapped your beautiful stealthy V20 for a bright red V20c?
So the old bag fits into the new frame, the question still remains as to how the new bag fits into my V20.
It's not by chance that you feel like selling me your bag and getting a V20c bag ;-)
Andreas, But according CB eshop new bag description it fits to both V20 and C versions, so should be no problem.
Or we can swap the bags :)