More aero position?

Kyytsis

Hi,

Any examples where the conversion would be done so that the end result would be closer to Vendetta than Silvio?

I was thinking a fiberglass seat from a low racer and a hamster steering with a tiller... Is there any way to get the BB higher? Would that need a longer "fork" where the BB is fixed to?

Thanks,

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
Hi Ville,
It's probably

Hi Ville,

It's probably (err... maybe) more important to get a low seat angle for aerodynamics than bottom bracket height. I could imagine using a bent seat post in the conversion (or, another seat like you mentioned above), allowing for both lower (more horizontal) angle on the seat that also allowed the seat pan further from the steering, which would allow you to shorten the TFT (telescoping front tube) which, in turn, could raise the BB height.

On my Sofrider, I lowered the seat about 5 degrees. In my case, I pushed the seat forward to do this, so my bottom bracket height is a little bit lower than it was before. I'm faster now than I was, although I'm also more experienced now, so I can't tell you that it's all aerodynamics.

Searching google images for Cruzbike conversions shows many, many different ideas as well. :) I have seen people replacing the seat and even people replacing the bottom bracket support system as well.

I'm looking forward to pictures of whatever you come up with. :)

Cheers,
Charles

Kyytsis

Hi Charles,
Thanks for your

Hi Charles,

Thanks for your message. The reason I'd look for a high BB is that I'm accustomed to have one as in the Baron and would prefer similar seating though higher from the ground. I'm 186cm tall and thus the BB will be quite far a way and as you noted it will also move the bb lower.

This is pretty much what I'm after.. doable with the conversion kit + right starting point + seat :)

IMAG03221.jpg

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
A curved boom update for the

A curved boom update for the conversion kit like the current Silvio and Vendetta would be nice...

I like the way Doug turned that conversion out too. A Tiara frame with carbon fiber swing arm and milled bushing adapter from this post, right?

http://cruzbike.com/v2k-rear-triangleswingarm#comment-17220

Another option would be to build a fiberglass or carbon fiber over foam frame of your own design using the conversion kit for the front end. Dave Wolfe is trying to build a carbon fiber recumbent based on the R.Q. Riley plans. Dave's build log is at http://www.roguelr.com/

There are some other blogs on the Internet with others building a carbon fiber bike from scratch like this one:

http://theprojectjunkie.com/bicycles-bike-components/carbon-fiber-z-frame-bike.html

Basic construction method is pretty simple. Getting an intelligent, mechanically sound, and awesome John Tolhurst result might involve some commisioning
regular_smile.gif

-Eric

Kyytsis

Thanks Eric,
The remaining

Thanks Eric,

The remaining question is "did Doug use a standard conversion kit"? The carbon swing is beautiful and the Tiara frame looks good as well.

Kyytsis

Thanks John,
That is good

Thanks John,

That is good information. I wasnt sure as the BB seems to be higher than on most conversions, but I guess that is due to the frame. I really like the setup above and that is what Im aiming for.

Hunting for a frame now. Actually some 29" frame would be nice (i am 186cm tall and weigh just about 80kg) for a long aero position higher from the ground.

Thinking of ways to make seat position adjustable..

Kyytsis

I think I found my frame

Let's see what the mail brings - bought this on-line for 10€.

yosemitec.jpg

The front fork is shite, so it will not be used and I've my doubts of the rear swingarm as well. If I can source the K2 one Dough used I'd be a happy happy camper. I'm planning to use 26" or 700c wheels, let's see which appear on the radar faster. The frame looks a lot like Tiara, could be from the same factory but branded differently.

Not probably going to have suspensiot at front. Weight wil be less without it. At back it would be nice.. My Baron doesn't have one and the ride is not very comfortable at rough surfaces. It will be interestin to see what BB I can use and what headset the bike has.

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
front fork is flipped around

wow, its already got the front fork flipped around 180 degrees. At least you don't have to do that step. :)

Kyytsis

LOL. Yes, I just take it out

LOL. Yes, I just take it out and throw it as far as I can. The fork has a real bad reputation of failing in specular manner.

I found this swingarm from ebay: http://www.ebay.de/itm/Cannondale-Carbon-Schwinge-HCV-440-/221114711431?pt=Sport_Radsport_Fahrradteile&hash=item337b76bd87#ht_500wt_949

I like the look, not sure if it will fit.
retro_CannSuperVcelk_cl.jpg

Hi Kyytsis
The black bike in

Hi Kyytsis

The black bike in the first photo has a different boom and seat to what I can see in the conversion kit. I wonder if JT has it right? It does not look like a stand conversion kit to me. It is a good looking conversion and would be what I am after. Hope he tells me I'm wrong and you can do that with a standard kit!

Nataly

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
Hi,
It's a coversion that

Hi,

It's a coversion that Doug Burton did where he replaced the swing arm with a carbon fiber arm he found on ebay. The seat is also not the standard conversion seat (he describes it somewhere on the forums...). Another great aspect of the conversions. You can swap out the pieces you don't like and really go to town. :)

Cheers,
Charles

ak-tux

Zen MBB Master
Doug Burton's conversion is

Doug Burton's conversion is not the entirely the standard kit. It includes components fron Silvio and and a carbon seat not part of a standard kit. He described it very well some time ago(10-06-2011) in BROL forums and I quote:

IMAG0323.jpg

" It's a Walmart "Tiara" mtb frame with a K2 Proflex carbon fiber swingarm adapted to it. The kit lower front tube has been reamed to accept a 28.6mm 6061T6 tube, fitted to a Silvio pivot clamp. I had to extend the shock absorber (not shown in the photos) and I can experiment with differnt head tube angles by adjusting the shock preload and thus the ride height. With all the intended parts hung on it, it weighs 28lbs.

The conversion kit is a very easy way to research these things.

Cheers,

Doug "

OK so "NOT A STANDARD KIT"
I

OK so "NOT A STANDARD KIT"

I love the boom, so much better than the steering rod extension in the "standard kit". I will be taking a hacksaw to that!

ak-tux

Zen MBB Master
Functionality comes first, looks comes second.

Nataly, for your first conversion keep your focus on getting a frame low enough to put you in a good position for riding and the ability to firmly place both your feet on the ground when stationary. Then you can refine the looks of the bike as secondary step. Otherwise you may never get started! The fancier the bike, the more expensive it going to get.

Doug is greatly skilled and has resources. Not many people have a garage full of bicycle components like Doug Burton. Just a look at it! :
http://s153.photobucket.com/albums/s218/db1488/?special_track=nav_tab_album

Even less people have the fabrication skills he has. He is able to bend pipes and forge metal parts to suite his needs. For instance look at this V2/K with 700c/29inch wheels and disc brakes. It has a softrider frontend. It's amazing to say the least:

V2K-Citybike1.jpg