My chain fall off the front cogwheel too often

JonB

Zen MBB Master
Hi

My chain fall off the front cogwheel too often. I think it has done it a handfull of times already, but i would expect 0. Are the chaintensioning too loose?

mi7d1

When I'm measuring to install a new chain on my bikes, I put the chain on the big ring and big cog on the wheel. Then I add two links to that to give me the length I need.

JonB

Zen MBB Master
mi7d1 wrote: When I'm measuring to install a new chain on my bikes, I put the chain on the big ring and big cog on the wheel. Then I add two links to that to give me the length I need.
But i didnt change the chain, it is the one the freerider came with.

rearengine

mi7d1 wrote: When I'm measuring to install a new chain on my bikes, I put the chain on the big ring and big cog on the wheel. Then I add two links to that to give me the length I need.

Don't run the chain through the D/R when you do that measurement. Bill

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
My bet is with the stiff link. Hold the front of the bike off the ground and turn the pedals slowly. Watch the chain and you should be able to see the offending link. Flex the chain a little from side to side around the tight joint and that should alleviate the problem.

Mark

mi7d1

rearengine wrote:

Don't run the chain through the D/R when you do that measurement. Bill

Yea, you're right. I wasn't full thinking there. :oops: Thanks for the correction.

JonB

Zen MBB Master
i have not had the time to look for it yet. Neither the wheel noise. However this evening i will bike out to a club meeting in a local recumbent club i joined. I hope to find the cause there.