My First 5 Days on the S40

macg4d1g

I've been following Cruzbike and reading all about these cool recumbents for at least a year. At first, having never ridden any recumbent or ever seeing a Cruzbike in person, I hesitated on purchasing one. This Spring a friend let me trial a few of his recumbents. They were comfortable but heavier than I knew I wanted. I knew I wanted good acceleration and the ability to climb some of the steep hills near my home. I knew I wanted either an S40 or V20. Well I got some great personal advice from Maria, Larry, and others on this forum. Then Jeff M. was kind enough to meet me and show me his V20C. I liked the feel as soon as I sat on it. I thought I would continue to wait to buy until I could also see an S40 in-person. Ultimately, I did not have the will power to wait and purchased this lovely S40 trial return. It seemed the conservative approach to getting into Cruzbikes.

As of yesterday I've had 5 consecutive days of riding. The last two rides were group rides of 20 miles each. I think I'm catching on! Here's ride titles and comments from Strava...

My First Ride on a Cruzbike (4 mi)​

A lot of wobbling at first. Straight lines back and forth. Then some 180s at the end of the alley. Then around the block, then to the park parking lots and some figure 8s and a trip around the park. I think I’m going to get this.

Cruzbike Shakedown #2 (12.0 mi)​

Some more slow speed maneuvering in Donner parking lot and the Noblitt Mill Race trails then out to West Hill. A few little climbs. Unclipped going out, clipped coming back. Progressing .

Cruzbike Ride #3 (13.8 mi)​

A little farther, a little more climbing, a little high speed practice down Carhill East of Champion. Kinda of twitchy under power but like flying in a coast. Was clipped in almost all of this ride.

First Group Ride on my Cruzbike Recumbent (22.9 mi)​

My 4th day with the Cruzbike S40. Feeling smoother and more confident.

5th day and 2nd Group Ride on the Cruzbike. (20 mi)​

(no comments but some photos)

IMG_8306.jpegIMG_6681.jpegIMG_8626.jpeg

I'm looking forward to many more rides on this bike without the shoulder pain that hinders me on my diamond frame. Hill training and conditioning is my next challenge. My limited climbing experience with this bike shows me how much I rely on standing and using my body weight to help climb on my DF. For this bike it's all muscle: legs, core, and arms, but the S40 geometry makes this all very doable. I think I'll be in better shape when I master it. Stay tuned.

Chris G.
Columbus, Indiana

cpml123

Zen MBB Master
I've been following Cruzbike and reading all about these cool recumbents for at least a year. At first, having never ridden any recumbent or ever seeing a Cruzbike in person, I hesitated on purchasing one. This Spring a friend let me trial a few of his recumbents. They were comfortable but heavier than I knew I wanted. I knew I wanted good acceleration and the ability to climb some of the steep hills near my home. I knew I wanted either an S40 or V20. Well I got some great personal advice from Maria, Larry, and others on this forum. Then Jeff M. was kind enough to meet me and show me his V20C. I liked the feel as soon as I sat on it. I thought I would continue to wait to buy until I could also see an S40 in-person. Ultimately, I did not have the will power to wait and purchased this lovely S40 trial return. It seemed the conservative approach to getting into Cruzbikes.

As of yesterday I've had 5 consecutive days of riding. The last two rides were group rides of 20 miles each. I think I'm catching on! Here's ride titles and comments from Strava...

My First Ride on a Cruzbike (4 mi)​

A lot of wobbling at first. Straight lines back and forth. Then some 180s at the end of the alley. Then around the block, then to the park parking lots and some figure 8s and a trip around the park. I think I’m going to get this.

Cruzbike Shakedown #2 (12.0 mi)​

Some more slow speed maneuvering in Donner parking lot and the Noblitt Mill Race trails then out to West Hill. A few little climbs. Unclipped going out, clipped coming back. Progressing .

Cruzbike Ride #3 (13.8 mi)​

A little farther, a little more climbing, a little high speed practice down Carhill East of Champion. Kinda of twitchy under power but like flying in a coast. Was clipped in almost all of this ride.

First Group Ride on my Cruzbike Recumbent (22.9 mi)​

My 4th day with the Cruzbike S40. Feeling smoother and more confident.

5th day and 2nd Group Ride on the Cruzbike. (20 mi)​

(no comments but some photos)

View attachment 15923View attachment 15925View attachment 15926

I'm looking forward to many more rides on this bike without the shoulder pain that hinders me on my diamond frame. Hill training and conditioning is my next challenge. My limited climbing experience with this bike shows me how much I rely on standing and using my body weight to help climb on my DF. For this bike it's all muscle: legs, core, and arms, but the S40 geometry makes this all very doable. I think I'll be in better shape when I master it. Stay tuned.

Chris G.
Columbus, Indiana
That's impressively fast. It took me about 500 mi before I dared to ride in the street and with a group. :)

ak-tux

Zen MBB Master
Hill training and conditioning is my next challenge. My limited climbing experience with this bike shows me how much I rely on standing and using my body weight to help climb on my DF. For this bike it's all muscle: legs, core, and arms, but the S40 geometry makes this all very doable. I think I'll be in better shape when I master it.
Beautiful bike! Great progress in such a short time!

When you feel comfortable you can practice a technique called "bridging". It's good for short (less than 100m) punchy climbs. Also good when going over speed bumps.

Enjoy!

Last edited:

JerseyJim

+1 on the short time to get going on a Cruzbike. I didn't clip in until I'd ridden about 200 miles and I didn't ride in a group for about 6 months. You're a prodigy. At this rate you'll be you'll be climbing like your DF bike in a week or so...I'll give you another month before you decide you want the speed of a V20C :p

macg4d1g

I really appreciate everyone's words of encouragement. I completed my 4th group ride tonight which also turned out to be my longest ride, with the most climb, and the steepest grades to date. It was a 31 mile ride with 1200 feet of climb with at least 3 decent climbs with grades of 10.9%, 13.1%, and 12.4%. I'm not climbing as fast as my DF and my heart rate is higher at a lower speed but I think it's all a matter of conditioning different muscles. We have other routes here in Bartholomew County with hill grades approaching 17%. I'm working up to them. That said, the downhills on the S40 are so much fun. I believe I hit 35 mph tonight without even trying. If my DF friends lose me going up, I fairly easily catch them going down.

There is a ride in Monroe County in two weeks (which I'm signed up for!) called the Hilly Hundred. It's 100 miles over two days with about 5400 ft of climb with a 20% hill called Mount Tabor. Shall I attempt it on my S40 or stick with my Giant Defy? I'm not sure yet. :)

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
. If my DF friends lose me going up, I fairly easily catch them going down.
The advantage of friends. Work it out with them that you take the first pull at the bottom of each climb; do you 1-x minutes, then move over and keep working while they pass you. They'll get used to it pretty quickly. Then you quicker to get over the top after them. If they are lucky you'll be willing to wait for them at the bottom.

JerseyJim

Shall I attempt it on my S40 or stick with my Giant Defy? I'm not sure yet. :)
Why not, man? You won't know your limit until you bump up against it. Then you'll know what to shoot for in your training. However, I'm guessing this will be an epic story of success. Keep having fun on that S40!

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
There is a ride in Monroe County in two weeks (which I'm signed up for!) called the Hilly Hundred. It's 100 miles over two days with about 5400 ft of climb with a 20% hill called Mount Tabor. Shall I attempt it on my S40 or stick with my Giant Defy? I'm not sure yet. :)
The 5400 should be no problem I used to have to do 1300ft to leave my house and to come back home another 1300; do not live such that 2 valleys' are between your house and all the good roads. That bike will eat that up. The 20% though you might have to walk some of it; but at that grade walking might be faster than pedaling.

I have ridden the Hilly many times and am actually thinking about it again this year. I've climbed Mt. Tabor on 3 different recumbents. If you have done the ride before this won't be new news for you. I think the S40 could climb it given a couple cautions. Your gearing would need to be sufficiently low enough, I run a 26 front, 34 back combo. Your comfort with slow speed handling while exerting strong effort will matter. Not only is Tabor steep its narrow and can be crowded with walkers on the right, riders on the left and other manner of those weaving around in the middle. Specific to the S40 the potential of front wheel slippage could be a factor. I've had it happen repeatedly on hills less steep. The first bent I took to the Hilly was an original Rans Force 5 which was too small for me. With the seat all the way back and rearward weight distribution I popped little wheelies up the hilly. Not a secure feeling.

macg4d1g

Your gearing would need to be sufficiently low enough, I run a 26 front, 34 back combo. Your comfort with slow speed handling while exerting strong effort will matter. Not only is Tabor steep its narrow and can be crowded with walkers on the right, riders on the left and other manner of those weaving around in the middle. Specific to the S40 the potential of front wheel slippage could be a factor. I've had it happen repeatedly on hills less steep.
Thanks, Decher. I have a stock S40 with the 1X system: 42 front, 42 back. Same climbing ratio as my DF. I definitely believe I need more work on my slow speed control under high power input. That came into play at 13% last night. Probably gets worse the more fatigued I am. I have not experienced wheel slippage yet. We have a blip of a climb here they call "The Wall". It's not long but hits about 17%. I hope to attempt it between now and The Hilly and see how I do. I last did The HillyHundred 10 years ago on a Cannondale DF with a triple front. Other than dropping the chain a couple of times, I did fine. However, I was 53 NOT 63 years old! :)