my new Silvio

craigsj

I've been assembling and testing a new Silvio. This is my first recumbent and the first bicycle I've chosen to assemble myself. The work isn't hard but I'm suffering through a few rookie mistakes. Here's a side view:
1485_c69d2a557746fd0cffcd175272233806

I have some cheap temporary platforms and a temporary front brake housing since I ran out of parts.

The drivetrain is SRAM 2x10. The crank is a 165mm compact 34-50 with a plan to use rotor rings. The rear is currently a 12-27 but will switch the the SRAM XX rear mech and either a 11-32 or 11-36 when they become available.

I've relocated the bottle cages and the rear brake to make room for bag mounts and a rear rack. The reversed rear brake install suffers from poor cable routing. I tried the Oval Concepts brake made for that purpose but it had terrible feel, poor power and a stiff spring. I switched back to the normal caliper and drilled a cable routing hole on the opposite side so that I could cross the cable over under the seat. Works reasonably well. I'm a little concerned with hitting my leg on the front brake as the caliper I'm using has some sharp points. I suspect that it's not a problem in practice. I've tried reversing the front brake but that creates even greater problems higher up on the thigh. An eebrake would work great on the front but at a very high price.

I chose to pursue a mountain-sized bar and mountain controls rather than use a drop bar and brifters. While I like brifters on road bikes because of the multiple hand positions, I don't think they are the best ergonomically for a single hand position. Instead I'm using the SRAM flat bar shifters. They are a bit bulky but work well. The trick is to find a suitable bar. Right now I'm trying the Soma Oxford which is an Albatross clone. It's an aluminum 54cm bar with near vertical hand positions. Here's a pic:
1485_00d28da57f5e9eaaa7119d06542f9a69

I'm having some problems with the bar (aside from it's ugliness ;) ). First, it has very little "reach" and "drop" in the traditional sense and a lot of sweepback. This results in a low hand position that I'm fighting with. Second, it's a 25.4 bar and the stock clamp has difficulty grabbing hold of it. I'm using a shim and some assembly compound and it's holding pretty well. What I'd like to see is an aluminum steerer tube terminated on the end with a 1 1/8" clamp area that a short stem could mount to. This would allow greater height adjustment range and the use of any bar size. I am still finding the proper adjustments and have a Soma Sparrow to try. The Sparrow is a bit narrower and has an angled hand position which I fear is less desirable but it looks a lot better and is much higher. I won't rule out a WTB bar and brifters but have a lot to try first. There are a few bars that have potential but require a 31.6 clamp. That would be fixed by the steerer tube I suggest. The handlebar clamp is my biggest disappointment with the kit.

I've only ridden for an hour or so and it's a fun experience but discouraging. I realize adjustments can help with the stability but it appears to me right now that learning will be taking a very long time. I'm open to suggestions on how to shorten the learning curve.

I really notice the action of the suspension. The bike rolls like a road bike but feels remarkably smoother as though the tires were far wider and lower pressure than they actually are. Comfort is amazing when I'm not terrified.

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
I found that ergonomically, brifters make a way cool place to grab hold and change your hand position. On a Silvio, it's important for long grinds to have a good, comfortable place to grab the bars. The end of a Origin 8 Gary bar is great, but the brake hoods of a Campy Brifter are a nice change of position. THe best thing is, Even riding on the outside of the hoods like that, I can reach under the hood with my forefinger and upshift a Campy brifter.

You'll find there are many things that translate from a road bike to the Silvio quite well. Not just components, but techniques, too. This really is a road bike, just a really cool one.

Mark