My Sofrider Journey so far and a few Suggestions

Angela UK

Hi!

I thought it was about time a woman posted on your forum, so here goes!

I bought a Sofrider last autumn after scouring the internet for a suitable recumbent, when I discovered that I could use a recumbent exercise bike, pain free at my local gym. (I had a horse riding accident about 30 years ago with the result that I suffered a lot of neck and shoulder pain during and after cycling a regular bike, sometimes for months.) I definitely didn't want one at ground level for visibility reasons. Also, come to think of it - not much room to hang a pannier either!

Once I received my Sofrider, I was determined to master the new technique to learn to ride it. It was like being a five year old again! Has anyone ridden a Cruzbike with stabilisers? Well, I didn't either (!) , but after several separate attempts, I finally managed to take it out for practise runs on quiet residential roads and to the local park. I received a lot of amused glances from passers-by, mainly because I had fixed Learner plates to the front and rear of the bike to warn pedestrians and unsuspecting motorists to give me a wide berth!

I learnt loads on my practise runs, like it is best not to brake too suddenly unless you really want to shoot over the handlebars, and that it is not advisable to attempt deeply rutted tracks in the dark, as the back wheel has a habit of suddenly skidding from under you and dumping you uncerimoniously in the middle of the path, right on your backside! Ouch!

Since then my skills and confidence have progressed quite a lot, and although I was unable to ride for several months due to illness, I am now confident enough to ride on main roads... and the L plates have been removed!

Yesterday, was a special occasion for me, as I went out for a 20 mile ride with a group of friends. It was wonderful to be out on a tour again after so many years of not riding a bike at all, and to at last be able to join in with their regular outing. I think they were quite impressed when I easily overtook a couple of speed merchants on the flat!

However, the hills weren't such good news. I suffered with a lot of front wheel spin, and unfortunately I was unable to use the bottom gear as a slight adjustment was required. Consequently, I had to resort to the shame of dismounting and pushing on some of the steeper sections, or hills where I couldn't get a decent impetus to attack them at the beginning. Still, I had expected this (perhaps it was a even a handy excuse!) and I was just so glad to be able to cycle at all without being in pain. When I rode a regular hybrid bike uphill, I used to drop all my weight into my legs and totally relax my arms and shoulders to avoid strain around my neck, because of my neck injury. I am not sure what the Cruzbike equivalent technique would be. Any ideas?

The real fun came when we cycled along a dirt bridleway downhill! I haven't laughed so much since my friend and I capsized a canoe in the Thames! I freewheeled down the dusty bendy path whooping with joy, feeling for all the world as if I were on a fairground ride! No pedalling, just some careful steering and gentle braking along the narrow winding path with nettles and undergrowth on either side. It was a blast! I have read some of the posts about riders feeling insecure when freewheeling, but I guess they were talking about much greater speeds on tarmac roads. After all, I didn't feel insecure at all, just in sane!

By the way, after my excursion, I had no neck or shoulder pain, no saddle soreness and no sore hands, just some slightly weary muscles in my legs and arms. For the first time in thirty plus years, there was no penalty to pay for riding a bicycle, no tablets to take and no osteopath fees! Goal achieved! Now, I just need to learn to tackle those hills ...

I think I am going to change the tyres to help eliminate some of the wheel spin on the hills, and then experiment further with riding techniques. I wonder if it would be a better idea to fit an all-purpose tyre on the Sofrider, suitable for a more varied terrain? The tyres they are fitted with are great for tarmac roads, but that's about it, and changing the tyres seems to be a subject which comes up frequently in the posts.

Which leads me onto my next suggestion: what about publishing a glossary for all the technical language and abbreviations that you cycle boffins are in the habit of using? I have got my head around MBB and FWD but that's about it! The rest is about as clear as rocket science! If I have to ask for technical advice I will ask for it to be explained in words of one syllable, with no abbreviations for those with an IQ of around 70!

Lastly, I wonder if there are any more women Cruzbikers in the UK? If so, I would love to hear from you!

By the way, I am 53 years young! Happy Cruzbiking!

MrSteve

Zen MBB Master
Hi Ms. 'U.K.!'
 Wheel spin

Hi Ms. 'U.K.!'

Wheel spin can be controlled in many different ways.

-Tyre pressure:
If you lower the tyre pressure a few pounds, the footprint of the wheel on the road will tend to conform to the irregularites in the surface of the tarmac, resulting in greater grip and, therefore, less slip.

The drawback to lower pressure in the tyre is both more rolling resistance, resulting in a lower top speed and more stress on the tyre itself -the tyre will be, after all, a bit under inflated.

-Pedaling technique:
Try pedaling uphill at a high cadence.
"Mashing" the pedals at a slow cadence puts a lot of power to the ground, but in only in small bursts, so to speak.
"Spinning" the pedals at a higher cadence tends to spread out the power.

Your best bet would be to use clips, the type of pedals that professional cyclists use: these pedals allow you to put power into the entire pedal stroke.

-Longer wheelbase:
For example, my original Sofrider V1 has a wheelbase that is slightly shorter than the current model Sofrider... so it tends to spin it's front wheel more readily (sooner) than the current model.

There are other factors, of course, but these few points ought to help, I hope.

Learn to pedal smoothly... try a lower tyre pressure... a softer, wider tyre may help as well, and:

Welcome back to cycling!

Angela UK

Hi Mo!
Thanks for your

Hi Mo!

Thanks for your advice!

I had already decreased the tyre pressure and the attempted the high cadence.

Thank you for explaining about mashing, though. I actually thought it had the opposite meaning! I have only ever mashed potatoes in the past, and I try to avoid that as much as possible! The chances of me mashing the pedals are even more remote!

I think I have the V2. It was the last silver one available.

I will definitely change the tyres and try the clip/cleat pedals, and if I still can't climb the hills, at least I will look like a pro!

Best wishes and happy Cruzing!

Ms UK