Mystery Sofrider

I'm looking at buying a Sofrider on Ebay. Year unknown. It has a single chain ring. Anybody know the vintage or more importantly the gear range? What does it take to add another chain ring and
derailleur? Thanks.

thwaters

During the first years, Cruzbike sold a "FreeRider" that only came with a single chain ring up front. I've heard that there was not much to do to add a derailleur and left shifter to bring it up to Softrider standards. Did the bike have the handlebars that were attached to a riser on the boom? Most FreeRiders had that:
BPVtCvAddBPk9YstV4PghoeIU_A54UkvJGE_oXpCEuZMr8jr0XJMyJ3kzeIM8C6t2oF407ZimF5BUyIi2rJPsKXVn2wlexT8nKQkH_BZFFHkTbIGGC-1S0zDqO8

MrSteve

Zen MBB Master
My Sofrider V1 was originally equipped with a single front chainring with grey plastic chain guards installed, which mostly kept the chain from jumping off.
The stock cassette was 8-speed.
Now, thirteen years later, My Sofrider V1 has had its rear-wheel replaced, a new bottom bracket with triple chainrings installed, a clamp-on wide range front derailleur
installed, a new long-cage wide-range rear derailleur, a new wide-range 10-speed cassette, new handlebars, and other modifications.

From the factory, the Sofrider V1 was a fun and capable commuter bike. Now, my V1 is a capable and much faster commuter bike.

On my Sofrider, the grey plastic chainguards mounted to the front chainring failed, so instead of replacing them, I just replaced the entire drivetrain.

Hope this helps you out a little bit... the Sofrider is a great bike.

1happyreader

zen/child method
What does it take to add another chain ring and
derailleur?
You might want to do a forum search as this WAS a common question.
I think you just need a bottom pull clamp on derailleur. 31.8 ???? you will need to measure your tube.
Later sofriders have a pulley closer to the pedals to reverse the cable pull. I doubt you have that mounting hole.