Need specs on 700c wheels and tires for my Q45

timspong

I have been riding my new Q45 for a couple of weeks now and I am somewhat disappointed how slow it is compared to my diamond frame road bike. I expected it to be a little slower but it's also slower than a very old lighting phantom recumbent that I have. I definitely need more speed and am thinking that a great set of wheels normally works wonders for any bike.

Anyhow, I have been out of the biking scene for a while due to injuries etc so I am not even sure what I am looking for. I've never even heard of through axles as everyone had quick releases back in the day.

Anyhow, Can anyone give me the specs I need in order to get a new set of wheels. All I know is that I need an 11 speed hub and through axles. anything else I need to consider? Also, will 700c wheels leave me room for mud guards?

thanks a lot.

onmyback

I had a 2018 Q45 (traditional qr hubs), so I don't know if 700c wheels will fit a newer Q45. For through axle wheels, you'll need to know the spacing between your dropouts and the outside diameter of the through axles. Consider going straight to an SRAM XDR style hub. You will then be able to mount classic HG cassettes or the newer wide range XD(with a spacer)/XDR cassettes that can have a very wide gear range - https://www.lightbicycle.com/newsletter/Bike-Freehub-Cassette-Compatibility-Manual.html

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Nope
Is this true? HG cassettes on XDR hubs?
Nope, but on most good hubs changing from XDR to HG/Spline is easy.

With XDR you can run XD Cassette with a spacer, the reverse is not true.

So don't by XD hubs it's a waste; but just HG and XDR and know that you can move between the two and cover most bases at this point. "All your freehub are belong to us."

timspong

I had a 2018 Q45 (traditional qr hubs), so I don't know if 700c wheels will fit a newer Q45. For through axle wheels, you'll need to know the spacing between your dropouts and the outside diameter of the through axles. Consider going straight to an SRAM XDR style hub. You will then be able to mount classic HG cassettes or the newer wide range XD(with a spacer)/XDR cassettes that can have a very wide gear range - https://www.lightbicycle.com/newsletter/Bike-Freehub-Cassette-Compatibility-Manual.html
This is great, exactly what I was looking for. Thanks

Tuloose

Guru
I'm sure someone more knowledgeable can come up with an answer for this but to me it seems that going from stock 650b wheels with an ISO of 584mm to a 700c with and ISO of 622mm is not going to work.
The larger question is would 700c wheels really make the Q45 faster and why would you want to modify the heaviest bike in the CB lineup, one designed for loaded touring and a bit of off road adventure, into a speed demon?
I may be going out on a limb here but I would suggest you look into another bike, either an S40 or a Vendetta.
You should gain much more speed with either of those than a set of fancy wheels could achieve.

Velocivixen

I am not positive, but a 700c rim with an actual inflated tire, won’t fit. If you do this mod, please keep up here to let us know if & how it worked.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
If
I'm sure someone more knowledgeable can come up with an answer for this but to me it seems that going from stock 650b wheels with an ISO of 584mm to a 700c with and ISO of 622mm is not going to work.
The larger question is would 700c wheels really make the Q45 faster and why would you want to modify the heaviest bike in the CB lineup, one designed for loaded touring and a bit of off road adventure, into a speed demon?
I may be going out on a limb here but I would suggest you look into another bike, either an S40 or a Vendetta.
You should gain much more speed with either of those than a set of fancy wheels could achieve.
Gotta agree there; but a better 650a wheel would do a lot; something on an Industry9 hub with a good low pressure tire would make a big different the little Q20 fly with the velocity A23's a crappy tire and a DTSwiss hub. I have this itch to get a S40 and trick it out with the fastest gravel rims I can cook up; but that's a winter project......

I'm 98% sure that the 700c isn't going to fit; but I haven't had a Q45 in hand, but the lineage is still the same as the ones I have had.

cpml123

Zen MBB Master
If

Gotta agree there; but a better 650a wheel would do a lot; something on an Industry9 hub with a good low pressure tire would make a big different the little Q20 fly with the velocity A23's a crappy tire and a DTSwiss hub. I have this itch to get a S40 and trick it out with the fastest gravel rims I can cook up; but that's a winter project......

I'm 98% sure that the 700c isn't going to fit; but I haven't had a Q45 in hand, but the lineage is still the same as the ones I have had.
I have heard 700c x 38mm can fit. I don't know about mud guards though. For 650b, I have tried 50mm, and mud guard still fit well.
Q45 is great for commuting and carrying stuff. I have tried to make it lighter by changing wheels and shock, electronic shifting and more comfortable with Thor seat. It's still heavier than S40, to my annoyance. It's also slower, probably due to the weight and the wide tires.

timspong

I guess I have to reluctantly agree with this. I just like the shock and adjustibility of the seat angle etc.

My main reason for wanting to go faster is that there are some great 100mile runs around here that I really enjoyed back in the day but they would take all day with the Q45 as it is. I am kind of thinking that, as I am no longer racing and am just doing it for the enjoyment, that one of those pedal assisted contraptions may be the way to go. Costs may be somewhat comparible and it will probably give a bigger speed boost than a new set of wheels. I can dial it up or down depending on how I'm feeling and should get adequate fitness benifits from it as long as I don't abuse it.

Anyhow back to the drawing board I guess.