New Cruzbike Rider Q45

Velocivixen

I have a question about the threads on the lower part of the original shock. How far up or down should I screw this shock in/out? I’m guessing this might be for how cushy you want it to be. I am unable to find information on this. Thanks.

Robert Holler

Administrator
Staff member
I have a question about the threads on the lower part of the original shock. How far up or down should I screw this shock in/out? I’m guessing this might be for how cushy you want it to be. I am unable to find information on this. Thanks.
You can go all the way in or out (but not too far out to disengage the threads) and this will set the amount of preload for the shock when you sit on it.

Velocivixen

Riding with the new, updated handlebars makes a notable difference in regard to the ease with which I can navigate & turn! Highly recommended! I’m specifically practicing turns today. For the past week it’s been riding around the block, through the park on a trail & riding on some grass, just to see how it feels.

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
I went straight from a DF (diamond framed) bike to a V20 and it took me a couple of weeks to be confident enough to take it out on the bike path without a high probability of crashing. I spent a little time doing figure 8s and circles, certainly not enough, but I bought a V20 for speed. Turning sharply on your Q45 is a necessity so don't skimp on that. Your straight line balance from time on your other 'bents will transfer over, and the slow speed maneuvering will have you proficient in no time.

Velocivixen

I went straight from a DF (diamond framed) bike to a V20 and it took me a couple of weeks to be confident enough to take it out on the bike path without a high probability of crashing. I spent a little time doing figure 8s and circles, certainly not enough, but I bought a V20 for speed. Turning sharply on your Q45 is a necessity so don't skimp on that. Your straight line balance from time on your other 'bents will transfer over, and the slow speed maneuvering will have you proficient in no time.
Hi Frito Bandito - I definitely have to practice figure 8’s & circles of all sorts. I haven’t crashed yet, although if I do have to abort, it’s easiest for me, if I’m still moving forward with enough momentum, to remove my feet & straighten out the steering with my arms. Then I gently replace my feet onto the pedals & gently pedal off. I’m not sure what sensation to expect when turning tightly, & I get this thrill jolt through my body like you do the instant you start to loose balance, then I remember to breathe so I take a breath, relax and I pedal through it without bailing out and without crashing. It’s fun.
I’ve ordered several items to personalize my ride: 2” Schwalbe Big Apple Performance tires, new multicolored grips, TRP discs w/Magura rotors, and red cable housing to coordinate w/the red pedals. If I have to ride a pale matte grey bike (I NEVER would order that color if I was purchasing new) I may as well have it look fun. I might even put some multicolored spoke reflectors on.

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
Aloha Veloci,
Those jolts are exciting for sure. Not like the initial reaction of falling over similar to a cat tilting its head back when getting brain freeze from licking ice cream, but more like a 9V battery on the tongue.

Looking forward to seeing how your Q45 looks on the runway. I'm all for sprucing the bike up a bit, but I draw the line at putting playing cards on the forks on the V20 ;)

Before the big names started using hologram stickers for their bikes I went to a fishing shop and bought some "laser tape" which I used to use when making big game trolling lures to stencil my 2016 Specialized Tarmac road bike. At rest stops I could see other cyclists fixated on my bike, moving their heads around like curious gibbon monkeys looking at a groundhog hole. Some of them even asked if it was a new model hahaha.

Velocivixen

Someone I’m acquainted with was selling their early & modified Silvio or some modified version of similar. This was in 2017 when I’d just bought my Bachetta ATT20, and the seller allowed me to “borrow” the bike for a week or so to practice to see if I’d be able to ride it. Needless to say I took very good care of it and returned it not having learned to ride it.
Riding a Cruzbike is definitely the same but different. Once I’m moving I find balancing is just the same as on any bike, but the ”body language” inputs are just slightly different.

I built a 650B front wheel with a Shutter Precision dynamo hub & a Velocity Blunt rim for my Surly. The O.L.D. is 100, so it will fit in the rear dropouts of my Cruzbike, however then my wheels won’t match in size. Anyone run a dynamo hub on their Cruzbike?

Velocivixen

I noticed there are many “I’m a new Rider” posts, but not a lot of follow on with how things progressed (or didn’t). I’m just checking in to say I’m following the ‘organic’ school for turns method. I ride in a lot of relatively controlled spaces like multiuser paths and in quiet cul-de-sacs for practicing turns of varying circumference.
About a week ago I was sitting relaxing when this proprioceptive “understanding“ came to me out of the blue & I immediately believed that I knew how to steer the Cruzbike with my feet & hips in a certain coordinated motion (I was very tense & wobbly during my practice). I was so surprised that this understanding came to me, yet I wasn’t because I recognize that I process things when I’m in a relaxed state. I was eager to test out this new method which involved raising 1 hip slightly thus “shortening” the leg on that side And allowing the opposite leg to dominate in a pushing fashion. It worked perfectly laying on the floor trying it out! I soon came to realize that it doesn’t work quite as smoothly when I’m sitting on an actual Q45. Of course on the bike my inputs required subtle adjustments, but all in all I was not much better trying that way than any other way. Works best for me if I just keep riding & practicing steering drills as I roll along in real world rides.

2whluge

I noticed there are many “I’m a new Rider” posts, but not a lot of follow on with how things progressed (or didn’t). I’m just checking in to say I’m following the ‘organic’ school for turns method. I ride in a lot of relatively controlled spaces like multiuser paths and in quiet cul-de-sacs for practicing turns of varying circumference.
About a week ago I was sitting relaxing when this proprioceptive “understanding“ came to me out of the blue & I immediately believed that I knew how to steer the Cruzbike with my feet & hips in a certain coordinated motion (I was very tense & wobbly during my practice). I was so surprised that this understanding came to me, yet I wasn’t because I recognize that I process things when I’m in a relaxed state. I was eager to test out this new method which involved raising 1 hip slightly thus “shortening” the leg on that side And allowing the opposite leg to dominate in a pushing fashion. It worked perfectly laying on the floor trying it out! I soon came to realize that it doesn’t work quite as smoothly when I’m sitting on an actual Q45. Of course on the bike my inputs required subtle adjustments, but all in all I was not much better trying that way than any other way. Works best for me if I just keep riding & practicing steering drills as I roll along in real world rides.
Perhaps you’ve had a visit from the Cruzbike “Spirit” and you can now see the Light.

Velocivixen

Perhaps you’ve had a visit from the Cruzbike “Spirit” and you can now see the Light.
Unfortunately I wasn’t wearing my glasses at the time so I didn’t see much of anything. Lol. Yes, I know it sounds rather….interesting. Writing it out & attempting to explain it sort of diluted the inner thrill of it.

Velocivixen

Some updates. I will recable the brakes using red housing given the upgraded levers/calipers/rotors. Unfortunately the red housing won’t match the red pedals. Oh well, I’m desperate to add some sparkle to this cement grey paint job.

Attachments

• IMG_3794.jpeg
    IMG_3794.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3789.jpeg
    IMG_3789.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3788.jpeg
    IMG_3788.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3793.jpeg
    IMG_3793.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 11

Velocivixen

I’m bedding in my new disc brake pads/rotors so lots of opportunity to start up from a stop. Rode over uprooted portion of multiuser path & found it helped if I pulled bars towards myself & pushed my feet towards the pedals. Still working on turns so I work them specifically into my neighborhood rides & I’m improving.
I replaced the NX grip shifter with an NX thumb shifter - very quiet, smooth shifting.IMG_3800.jpegIMG_3800.jpeg